“Tasty and definitely NOT BORING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cactus Restaurant

Cactus Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 266 Restaurants in Kirkland
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Tasty and definitely NOT BORING!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

While this is a chain "tex-mex/southwestern" restaurant, the selections are anything but ordinary and boring. The food was imaginative and tasty; the dessert was amazing!

Visited March 2014

Seattle
“Not your typical Mexican food”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The food here tastes fresh and much different than what you get at a typical Mexican restaurant. The menu items are creative and taste delicious. It's always a treat to come here to eat, but I recommend coming at an off hour as it gets very busy during the peak lunch/dinner time. It's especially crowded in the summer when they open the restaurant to the outside. My husband went to their other location on the eastside, at the Bellevue Square Mall, and said the quality was just as good as their location in Kirkland.
They have a gluten free menu, and if you're also sensitive to dairy (as I am), they can leave off the cheese as most of their items are not smothered in cheese, just sprinkled on top. Also, even though they're busy, they have great service every time.

Seattle, Washington
“Love this place, outstanding modern Mexican food”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Not your typical, "melt a ton of cheese" on everything, mushing retried beans place. Exciting takes on traditional things like tacos, but very tasty menu items that you also don't see on every Mexican menu. Salsa is fresh and home made, I also always start with the guacamole, again, homemade and delicious.

Kirkland, Washington
“Coolness”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you are looking for regular American Mexican food with more grease than bean, and covered in stomach churning cheese, this is the wrong place. Cactus isn't gall bladder damaging Mexican food, nor is it, for better or worse, California mission burrito and taco style. It's something a bit hipper, but not the Emperor's new clothes hip. I want to say it's Southwest inspired, but not having been there, I can't say. Still, a bite of squash enchilada makes me look around for Pueblo cliff dwellings. I used to order this every time I went because it's one of the most unusual and delicious things I've put in my mouth. Then I discovered that they have fry bread-- like a doughnut, like a taco, like a taco-donut. Oh my! Feeling the call of the Cactus.

• Visited December 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Creative menu, exquisite presentation, and every single bite was delicious.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Kirkland, in a very pedestrian-friendly retail district close to the waterfront. My companion and I ate in the bar, which was comfortable and colorful. I started with a mint mojito. Best I've ever had. My companion enjoyed a signaure tequila drink. Chips and salsa appeared, and yes, the salsa may have been some of the best I've ever had, as well. We had several bowls full. The flavorful chips made great shovels.

I ordered the carne asada with chipotle-mushroom gravy, spicy mashers and crispy sweet onions. It was cold outside and the unexpected option of mashed potatoes won the day. What a wonderful take on carne asada it turned out to be. My companion ordered the Seafood Enchilada, also delicious and well-presented. There were more mojitos as well...

I was pleased to discover that this is one of five locations in the greater Seattle/Eastside area. I just returned from Tulum, Mexico, and this restaurant tops anything on that very expensive, fine-dining beach.