“Not like it used to be back in the 90s/Oughts to be sure”

The Original Pancake House
Ranked #29 of 276 Restaurants in Kirkland
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Lived in PDX from 95' to 07' and have actually been to this location around 01' when visiting friends in near Redmond. Love the OPH. Was back at this location for vacation to visit friends recently and chat and eat. Bummer. Busy as usual (no prob-expected).

However, the food was not up to snuff and the sequencing of service was borderline absurd. Let me explain. I ordered an omelette. They are huge. The menu states they can take 45 mins. to prepare. Understood. HOWEVER, it's very funny when the omelette arrives after about 40-45 mins. BUT not the potatoes nor toast that comes with the order. WTF? Don't tell me potatoes AND toast take longer to make than a 45 min. omelette? Well, lo and behold, AFTER I had to track down the waiter and ask just such a Q did I learn that the potato cooker was not in that Sunday and that is why (excuses, excuses). Note, this was never mentioned until I asked about it-I guess the smug OPH waiter assumed I was a 1/2 hour waiting for a table sucker. Well, never again. We don't have OPHs in the SW and so I can live without ever returning.

Additionally, I ordered the corned beef hash omelette with cheddar hoping it would be a great variation on their classic ham and cheddar omelette that I always order and it was a huge disappointment. I don't know where they are procuring their cheddar now but the rich, dense and sharp flavor of the cheddar I knew from the mid 90s to the mid oughts was nowhere to found in the omelette I consumed.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I'll be the first one to admit I've never eaten any of the egg breakfasts, but they always look tempting on their way to other tables. My husband and I go for pancakes. I love the 49'ers and my husband's favorite is the buckwheat. They're always outstandingly good. We both like the side of bacon and the quality never changes. We've been lucky to live in 3 different cities where we've enjoyed these yummy breakfasts on a regular basis. It just doesn't change--quality control is high. It's a treat!!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Potatos overcooked, small eggs, higher prices etc. They better be careful or they will lose their following.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I really like their breakfasts. The restaurant is always packed, but they have good service and great food.

Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

I heard many amazing things about this place and went to check it out last weekend for breakfast. I must say, they have a very extensive menu but the food is mediocre, especially considering how much they charge! The crepes are so overpriced and they aren't even cooked properly; they were doughy and my strawberries were half brown. The potato pancakes, are NOT potato pancakes. I don't know what they use to make them but I tasted absolutely no potato...it tasted like grits and cornmeal, it was quite disgusting! Someone needs to give them a recipe for REAL potato pancakes!