“what a little gem!”

Nell Thorn Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in La Conner
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
henderson, NV
“what a little gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

This restaurant was recommended to my husband and me by our Mt. Vernon B & B hostess, and she was spot on! We wanted a somewhat upscale, cozy, informal place with excellent food, and Nell Thorn did not disappoint!

As much as possible, the food is locally sourced, so it was extremely fresh and very "Northwest" in feel. The room upstairs (the actual restaurant, the pub is downstairs) is rather small, and very cozy. The service was friendly and expert.

We opted for the fried calamari with garlic aoli as an appetizer, and the aoli was killer! Delicious!
I had the oyster dinner with aoli sauce (yes, I love aoli) which was excellent, and my husband has the lamb shank dinner with Rockwell heirloom beans and locally gathered chanterelles. It was delicious! We ended with one of the best desserts I've ever had the pleasure of eating: Biscotti Tortoni. When you go to this restuarant, you must leave room for this fabulous dessert!

This was a very pleasant and rewarding dinner out for us during our Mt. Vernon visit. Please see my review of Whispering Firs B & B as well.

• Visited September 2013

Oxnard, California
“Very nice meal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We ate here because of other good reviews and enjoyed our dinner. We ate upstairs and it had a more "formal" atmosphere than downstairs. For some reason, there weren't very many people there at the time and by the time we finished dinner, we were the only ones there. I enjoyed my steak very much but my husband said that his meal wasn't as great as he had expected. I think the formality of the room and the lack of other people made us a little uncomfortable but the serving staff was very good and we had a good meal.

• Visited October 2013
Anacortes, Washington
“Consistently Great Meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have never had a disappointment at Nell Thorn. Everything we have ever ordered was tasty, well-prepared and plated. We especially love the polenta cakes and beet salad! Excellent wines -bottle and by glass. Nell Thorn is our "go to" special night out in Skagit Valley!

• Visited November 2013
North Vancouver
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Had heard some great things about this restaurant but unfortunately on the night we went the reviews surpassed reality. It was a sleepy Sunday evening and the restaurant was not crowded except with serving staff. We ordered a half bottle of white wine (not a vast selection). It arrived room temperature and though we indicated that we preferred our white cold the server only indicated that their wine fridge was not working properly. I did see a wine cooler on another table but we were never offered one. . .we had checked the menu online and noticed some changes.
I asked the server and she indicated that the menu changes daily. . something that one might want to indicate on the website. I ordered the crispy chicken - it was crispy and slightly overcooked, a bit dry and not hot. My husband had a similar experience with his entree - warm but not hot. We made the mistake of ordering a Spanish coffee to finish and like each and every other dish - it was not served at the right temperature. Did not sugar the rim, and there was a paltry serving of whipped cream which looked like it had been sitting too long and had separated. Too much money for an ultimately disappointing experience. I did think the crispy chicken dish, if cooked properly and served hot would have been amazing!

• Visited November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Below expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Disappointed for the no 1 restaurant. Prawn salad just average, crab cakes just mediocre. I had the seafood bowl or stew, rated very good mussels, clams, scallops and fish. Service was very good and attentive without being obtrusive. Calamari was very good

Visited October 2013