Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma South - Lakewood
Caledonia, Canada
“Very nice!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

A wonderful stay from the moment we checked in! Warm cookies and milk at the check in was a bonus! The hotel is in great shape even though its surrounding neighbourhood is a little sketchy. Very convenient access to the highway but there is not much noise to disturb you at night. The pool was a little green/murky looking (it's open 24 hrs which is great but probably makes it hard to clean). Breakfast was very good with eggs, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, bagels, muffins...everything you could really want. Overall a really great stay!

Stayed June 2014
SEALAManager, Front Desk at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma South - Lakewood, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Brantosl,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and write a review. I am overjoyed to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff. I am glad that you got to take advantage of the cookies at night and breakfast in the morning and that you had enough choices. We appreciate your feedback on our pool area and we will be re-plastering it this Summer in order to continually improve the quality of your future stays.
Amber P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were looking of a place to spend the night so we could get on the road quickly the next morning, and this hotel fit the bill perfectly. The breakfast selections were plentiful and tasty, well above average for an included breakfast. Added bonus: the pool and exercise room are open 24/7. The highway traffic noise might be an issue for some but should be considered unavoidable considering the proximity to I-5.

Room Tip: Although you will not totally escape the highway noise, you might want to ask for a room at the back...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller0024
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Any time I can stay at a hotel and wake up feeling rested and invigorated is money well spent. All the amenities in the world don't mean a thing if you're spending the night tossing and turning and wake up the worse for wear.

This place is not that kind of place thankfully. It appears to be a fairly newish hotel just off the side of I-5. Check in was quick and uneventful and the manager was very friendly and knowledgable.

The lobby appeared to be neat, clean and bright and very well kept. The manager was able to direct me to a local grocery chain where I was able to pick up some grub.

Upon checking into my room I was so glad to see that the beds were nice and firm. The room spacious and clean with a pleasant decor with free wifi provided should you need it.

They do provide a limited breakfast both hot and cold which is nice but I didn't see any fruit.:(

The only minor misfire was the flat panel TV's don't swivel and the heating/ac unit wasn't working so I had to crack the window to cool the room down a bit. Other than that, I had a wonderful nights sleep and a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room as they face away from I-5 which can get a bit loud, especially if it's...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Republic, Washington
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Manager Danica Pak is the reason I continue to come to this hotel. She works hard and runs a tight ship. The hotel is in good working order, it is clean and aside of some issues with the local Cable TV provider, my stay was outstanding. I am welcomed as a priority club member when I arrive and feel as welcome here as I could anywhere. I travel to this area for work frequently, but the professionalism of the staff and their willingness to go out of their way to ensure my comfort will bring me back with my family.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are on the opposite side of the hotel from the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raymond M
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel previously with no problems until I needed to book multiple rooms for my dad's funeral. First the director of sales quoted us a price $25 over what their own website was offering until we complained. Worst was after I told her my family would be calling over the weekend to confirm, after they called on Saturday a week before the days needed, they were told the rooms had been released and now were almost $75 more for that first night. Not once was I told that the weekend would be too late. This while we were trying to organize a funeral with many people coming from out of town. Very insensitive and we do not appreciate being ripped off. This is terrible customer service. We will never stay here again. If you are dealing with their sales manager, do not waste your time. Book online or somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank booboo2222
SEALAManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma South - Lakewood, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear booboo2222,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I’m glad you’ve had many chances to enjoy our property before and I would like to apologize for the way you feel you have been treated. No matter how rooms are reserved, be it through sales, online, or with the front desk, we try to stay competitive in the market and sensitive to our guests’ needs, and I’m sorry this was not made more apparent to you.
I have spoken with the Director of Sales for more information regarding your room block. The rate available online at $25 less than your quoted rate was our Book Early and Save restricted rate, which must be prepaid in full before arrival and has no option to cancel or change dates or room types. While this is a budget sensitive rate, our sales department will not reflect that rate because of its restrictions, especially when it comes to a group of many travelers that may have last minute cancellation or change requests. I was also advised that the standard cancellation penalty for groups was waived in your case.
Regarding the rooms having been released over the weekend before your family was able to call, I did verify that a cutoff date had been discussed with your mother, allowing us to be able to release the rooms back into general inventory. It looks like your cutoff date was one week before the day of arrival, which is actually fairly generous as cutoff dates for busy weekends can run up to over a month before arrival. We extended the cutoff date another 3 days past the first cutoff date to accommodate your guests. Beyond that, as this was a courtesy block, the rate reflected our best available rate once the original rooms had been released after the extended cutoff date, which was higher than original as occupancy in the city was very high.
Again, I apologize that your experience with our sales department impacted you and your family in such a way during an incredibly difficult situation. I hope that this response can help with your concerns, however I invite you to contact me to discuss it further and see how we may recover your good opinion of our hotel. You can reach me via email at amanda@hiex.com or by calling the hotel directly at 253.582.7000; my extension is 180.

Best wishes and my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Amanda V
Manager
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three weeks on business. I travel a lot for work and often stay at Holiday Inn Express properties as they are usually clean, quiet, and convenient. This one was no different. The staff was friendly and accommodating, housekeeping did a good job, and it is located just a short drive from the JBLM gates. My only complaint is that the internet was really slow, especially during the evenings, when I assume most people were trying to logon. Other than that if you need a place to stay near base you can’t go wrong here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at 3 Holiday Inn Express locations within a week - and this one was decent but not on the same level as the other two:

The employees were not as friendly or accommodating.
The Internet was slower and clumsier than most.
The room I had was right below the housekeeping area that was most used - with carts rolling until after 10 pm and beginning again at 8:30 am.
The tea selection was an off-brand of black tea - but with no herbal tea like the other locations.
There was no Splenda for coffee or tea - and some of us don't use saccharine or aspartame.

It certainly wasn't a horrible place but just a few simple changes could make it a FAR more pleasant place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma South - Lakewood, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear jmcolella1,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Days Inn Lakewood South Tacoma
Hampton Inn and Suites DuPont
Americas Best Value Inn Seattle / Tacoma near JBLM Base
Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma South - Lakewood? Share your experiences!