“great place for our anniversary or any other excuse to come to this Island”
Review of Saratoga Inn

Saratoga Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Wenatchee, Washington
“great place for our anniversary or any other excuse to come to this Island”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here 2 days for our wedding anniversary. Our room was spacious and the view of Saratoga Passage terrific. Their happy wine hour from 4 -5 was appreciated. Their breakfasts were wonderful and I even bought the cook's breakfast cook book to try to replicate some of the deliciuos dishes we had there. It is conveniently located for walking all over Langley, a delightful village.

Room Tip: I prefer the second floor with a water view and deck if possible. We had a nice deck with a small ta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Happy Anniversary and Thank You for choosing Whidbey Island and the Saratoga Inn for your special celebration. You have been a busy traveler over the years so we feel especially pleased you found the Inn to meet your expectations. We wish you a delightful year and look forward to a possible return visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I traveled for business to Langley for over a month and couldn't have chosen a nicer place. Jenny, Jim and the entire team provided wonderful hospitality and made me feel like family every night when I returned from a long workday.
Saratoga Inn is a warm and inviting place to stay, extremely well-kept and in a beautiful location overlooking Saratoga Passage. The evening tea time is very nice with carefully crafted hors d'oeuvres, cheese, wine and small desserts. Langley is a great little town to explore in the evenings and on weekends.
Thanks, I will be back for weekend visits soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in 3 different rooms, both upstairs and down, all were nice. Room 1 has private access to...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Well after coming back to the Inn 4 weeks in a row, you most certainly feel like family to us as well. We are so very pleased you found the Inn, our staff, and Langley comfortable, friendly and hospitable; do come back again! As a guest, we, and our staff, all found you to be very polite, appreciative of even small gestures of the Inn's hospitality and a pleasure to be around. You are a model "five-ball" guest. Thank you for your positive review ... Happy summertime! Fall-time is a nice time to come back to Langley ...
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Saratoga was a quaint, cozy, relaxing get-away on Whidbye Island. We stayed there for 2 days to celebrate our anniversary. The proprietors were welcoming, helped carry our luggage to our room and even assisted in securing a dinner reservation for us. The breakfast was buffet style and was prepared by a chef. The only thing we found unusual is that the owners were never seen again after our initial arrival. They evidently lived off-site, although we were left to assume that on our own. Maybe it is just a personal preference but we enjoy visiting with the proprietors where we stay and chatting with them about the house's history, sights to enjoy, etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in the king bedroom at the back because of road construction at the front of the house.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello Cozy and Relaxing - We want to thank you for trying the Saratoga Inn but we feel like we let you down and apologize for that. We understand that not everyone will be pleased. Having read your review several times, it seems that you are looking for a truer B & B experience; so, we would like to recommend The Eagles Nest B & B, which is located very nearby and the owners do live on site and will chat about the Island's history and places to see, happily. This is a very clean and well maintained Inn and sounds exactly what you may be looking for.

The Saratoga Inn operates more like a boutique hotel where a guest can have privacy, come and go freely, without necessarily having to interact with the owners or management. While we do not live on site, we do enjoy meeting many guest throughout the year and we make a conscious effort to remember our repeat guests. Our life off-site involves caring love for our two mothers who are now 94 and 86 years old, bless their hearts, and a handicapped family member whom we lovingly share our lives with.

The Inn provides several common spaces where guests have an opportunity to meet and chat with other guests. One thing we discovered, over the past twenty years of owning this Inn, is that many guests know far more about Whidbey Island and Langley than we do. Many guests have a long history of coming to the Island with their grandparents, their parents or other family and will freely share their experiences and knowledge.

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to review the Inn and sharing your concerns and observations; we are so sorry that you did not find the location and value to be there for you; but, more importantly, we are so sorry that you did not find your room to be spotless and comfortable. The person who carried your luggage up the full flight of stairs is my spouse and co-owner. Since she is only 4'-10", weighs 90 lbs, and at sixty years old, she always remembers doing that sort of thing .... just trying to be hospitable. Enjoy your travels!
San Jose CA
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

It's very difficult to say how much I enjoyed staying at the Saratoga Inn with my husband last week. We were on Whidbey Island for a friend's wedding. We had a few days to explore the island before the ceremony, and the people at the Saratoga Inn could not have been more accommodating to help us navigate the island, find things to do, and get ready for the big day. I fear that I was a high maintenance guest, with a few requests that were out of the ordinary, and never did they make me feel like I was asking too much or that they couldn't easily take care of me.

In addition to their incredibly helpful attitude, the room was lovely. It was very clean, very comfortable, private and quiet, and spacious. They supplied comfortable bathrobes in case we needed them.

But the thing that took me by surprise, and totally blew me away, was their breakfasts. In my experience, when I stay at a hotel that provides a breakfast, it's usually very basic, very generic, and, if you're very lucky, edible. A bed-and-breakfast is a totally different thing. When I stay at a bed-and-breakfast, I expect a different experience in the morning. And I also expect that it is going to cost me a lot more then a typical hotel that I would stay at.

My first morning at the Saratoga Inn, I was astonished to find an incredible breakfast spread laid out before me. Not only did it include fresh fruit, and hot oatmeal that was tastier than any I have ever had before, but fresh-baked scones and eggs and potatoes and good coffee… it was amazing. And every single day that I was there, which was five consecutive breakfasts, the food was just as good. They were breakfast burritos, there were indescribable and totally delicious poached egg/eggs Benedict things. Really, I am not doing these breakfasts anything near justice. Suffice it to say that I really really really looked forward to them every day. Their cook was incredible. It was such an unexpected bonus, and so great.

So-great room, great location, fabulous staff, incredible care, comfortable accommodations, and a breakfast that I guarantee will knock your socks off. This was an experience. Stay here. You want to stay here.

I only hope that they have room for me next time I want to come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Well gosh, thanks for this special review of your recent stay. One thing we hope others will learn from your comments is that it is always best to make special requests during the stay rather than having a negative experience. We want to please; we want each guest to have a positive, memorable, experience at the Inn and on Whidbey Island. While you did have some special requests, we do not see you as "high maintenance." We do not look forward to high maintenance guests but we would certainly look forward to your return, anytime!

Two points we would like to convey to others that may be reading your review: 1) the Saratoga Inn seeks to be an inclusive rather than exclusive hotel; we want everyone to have a comfortable, positive experience. 2) The Saratoga Inn is not really a B&B, which is typically a house converted for lodging. This Inn was conceived as a small boutique hotel, which means that you can have private experience without necessarily being engaged with the owners or management. However, if one has interest in meeting others, the opportunity is provided with various common areas, both inside and outside.

In contrast to residential construction, each room was designed for sound privacy; there are two and half inches of gypsum board along with sound attenuating resilient channels between each room. Additionally, each floor also has resilient channels along with an 3/4 inches of light-weight concrete, also for added sound privacy.

But we do serve a hot breakfast, as you noted, and over the past twenty years, it has been refining itself, thanks to our special chefs, who take heartfelt pride in what they do.

Thank you for coming to our Inn; an experienced traveler, like yourselves, will always speak up during a stay rather than after a stay, which is good for everyone ... the guest and the innkeeper.

Come back again!
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the Saratoga Inn recently for my niece's wedding. It's hard to put in words the hospitality we received from owners Jim and Jenny and all the staff. It was outstanding! We really enjoyed the camaraderie in the common area during breakfast, for an afternoon snack and at the end of the day. Our rooms were very comfortable and extremely neat and clean. The proximity to downtown Langley as well as the view on the coast had me snapping pictures all weekend.
You won't find a better place to stay on the island. Comfort, service and the family atmosphere makes the Saratoga Inn second to none. It is truly top notch!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Howie R
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
In a nut shell, your family was most pleasant, memorable, and enjoyable. Thank you for choosing the Saratoga Inn and we look forward to your next family gathering. Also, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with others. Whidbey Island misses all of you!
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We love Saratoga Inn after stays of 2-3 nights for a number of years. It's a local go-to place. Convenient, practically in town, offering delicious breakfasts (eggs, pastry, cereal, fruit), intriguing hors d'oeuvres and wine at 4 p.m., quiet surroundings, and gracious hosts who willingly offer tips on things to do and places to eat. Always all smiles, and eager to respond to any needs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine F
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review .... we are very pleased to be tagged as a "local Go-To Place!" Whidbey Island recently achieved a 3rd placed ranking of all islands in the Country, we recently read ... nice to be so convenient to Seattle. Come back again ... and again!
paso robles,ca
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband & I spend 2 glorious nights at Saratoga Inn, We had an amazing room! BIG and a balcony that had the best view of the ocean and boats going by!! The Owner's are so nice!!! and they have the best chef ever! I even bought her cookbook! it was truely amazing!! Also each afternoon they had wine & appetizers.. we sat outside and chatted with other people staying there. There was a great group of ladies there for a get together week! So much fun and you just walk right downtown to shops & restaurants! Best B&B ever!!! Thank you for a peaceful & magical weekend!
Julie & Scott West

Room Tip: The bed was amazing best sleep ever and very quiet!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovelovemydogs
doeskin, Owner at Saratoga Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
We have a hunch you and yours find "pure paradise" in whatever you do. Your stay at the Inn occurs while the entire roadway is torn up; the Inn is full and we had no time do really do anything extra for you during your stay .... yet a most positive review. Thank you and please return again someday .... happy trails, in the mean time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
Captain Whidbey Inn
#2 of 16 in Langley
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Saratoga Inn? Share your experiences!