“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Leavenworth
Fallbrook, California
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Can't say enough about this beautiful hotel. I requested a balcony and not only was there a view of the mountains but there were flower boxes on the railing. The breakfast buffet was the best complimentary buffet we had ever experienced. About every half hour a man in Bavarian dress would climb up on the balcony and blow an Alpine horn that had to be 14 feet long. In the evening there was a piano player in the common area. To top this off, if you are a golfer or just want to have some fun....there is a free 18 hole championship putting course across the street complete with live deer and goats.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was an enchanting stay during the December snows. The rooms were lovely and the Bavarian theme was throughout the hotel. We loved the bed, the silver service, the front foyer, the loft and the breakfast room. We truly felt we were in the Alps. The downtown is a short walk and the shopping was great for Christmas, the clerks were friendly and the restaurants were fantastic.
We recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I consider this hotel the best place to stay in Leavenworth. I love the ambiance of the place. My husband love the swimming pool. It's the longest indoor pool in all of the hotels we've stayed. We especially like listening to Mr. Bob Johnson playing the Alphorn in the morning. Breakfast is great. The staff are courteous, you couldn't ask for good front desk people, service staff, and food service staff. Our room was clean and quiet and I like the bathrobes too! The mini golf course was the primary attraction for us in choosing this hotel. Since we were here in the last week of May until the First week of June, we played with only a couple other groups. I suspect it is harder to play here on summertime since Leavenworth is usually busy, especially for Octoberfest. We will definitely be coming back here for relaxation. Oh, by the way, my husband just said, "The only complain I have is: None."

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I haven't been to the Enzian Inn since 1998. In reading reviews of recent guests, I am so glad to hear that it is maintaining its fine character and standing that I experienced years ago. I have two girlfriends, with whom I have travelled to great destinations over the past 20+ years. We're meeting on 17 January to plan our annual trip this 2014. I am looking forward to persuading them to travelling to Leavenworth, WA and experiencing firsthand what Enzian Inn and the Leavenworth area have to offer.

Note: To submit my comments, the review form would only allow me to go back to 2013. My comments are from my stay at the Enzian Inn back in July 1998.

Lois Uihlein
Lawrence, KS & Sedona, AZ

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Johnstown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I along with two other couples stayed together at the Enzian Inn in Leavenworth, WA, for two nights near the end of July. It is about the 4th time that we have stayed there, but the first time I have written a review.

We love the ambiance of Leavenworth. The small town feel, the Bavarian style architecture, and all of the beautiful hanging baskets of flowers with nearby mountains looming in the background just makes for a beautiful, scenic time. The Enzian Inn just fits in perfectly. The facility is relatively basic. But, it is very attractive and the motif matches the town perfectly. The flowers on the property are beautiful.

The rooms are very nice. They are not spectacularly luxurious, but nice. On this stay, the 3 couples just had standard rooms with a king bed. From prior stays, there are suites available with a separate bedroom. On one prior stay, there was a king bed with a large canopy over it. On yet another previous stay, my wife and I stayed in The Hutte, which is the stand-alone building across the street right at the upper corner of their mini-golf course. The rugged wood building had really inviting touches inside, including a large king bed, rugged log columns, a large Jacuzzi hot-tub, and a nice bathroom space. There is a circular staircase with wrought iron railing and accents that leads to the top level. The top level is basically a kitchen and living room area. It is a huge amount of space for just two people, but the sleeping accommodations are just for two (king bed, downstairs). I believe there is a sleeper sofa on the top floor, but we did not use that (only two of us on that trip).

The Enzian provides a nice base from which to explore Leavenworth and the surrounding area. We like to walk the town, check out the multiple shops, and just enjoy the atmosphere. It is almost always sunny and warm there in the late summer (late July and August). There are walking trails down by the Wenatchee River that runs through the town. The town has done a nice job in making those trails attractive and useable. We also went hiking in the nearby mountains on one of the days during our stay. There is a lot of hiking available within a 15 to 30 minute drive of Leavenworth (especially out Icicle Road, but also in other places). The Enzian had printed material describing the various hiking opportunities in the area. The staff in general are very friendly and helpful.

After a hard day of hiking in the hot sun, you can return to the Enzian and enjoy the outdoor pool. It is old, like the rest of the property, but well kept and very clean and inviting. I think there is an indoor pool as well, but we have never used it (always having come in the summer when it is hot and sunny and nice to be outside). The other recreational opportunity unique to The Enzian is their own mini-golf course across the street (across Hwy. 2 that cuts right through town). It is a full 18 hole course, real grass, nicely landscaped. You have a few goats grazing on the steep hillside above the course that provide an audience for your golfing exploits. There is a waterfall at the upper corner of the mini-golf course as well which makes for a beautiful setting. You look up toward the waterfall and the hutte, and there are nearby mountains silhouetted in the distance. It is beautiful.

The daily breakfast which is included in the room rate at the Enzian is nice. It is basic, but well done. Virtually any basic breakfast food can be found there (e.g. eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, French toast). They also have a made-to-order omlette station which is popular and tasty. Of course, the highlight of the breakfast is the playing of the Alphorn by the owner (or, I guess sometimes by his son, but I have only seen the elder one, the owner, play it). He goes out onto the balcony, perches there on a ledge next to the planter boxes full of flowers, and plays this horn. The Alphorn is assembled in two different pieces. The long curved end of it sits on the floor/ground while he plays and is probably about 9 or 10 feet long when assembled. It is evidently something classic from the old country. The owner dresses in the old alps-style lederhosen when he plays each morning. It just makes it a fun and more authentic experience. The kids love it.

Having been to Leavenworth a number of times, I continue to consider The Enzian Inn to be the place I would most like to stay there. I can only compare by looking around. I have not actually stayed elsewhere in Leavenworth. There are increasingly other opportunities and competition for lodging there. But, the Enzian has this old, classic feel to it that matches the town. I really like that. It is moderately priced. It is definitely one of the best, if not the best, of the older lodging options in Leavenworth. I would rate it 5 stars on the Tripadvisor grading system. It is not a 5 star establishment (i.e. not a luxury place), but it meets its objectives and its niche really well. Therefore, it gets 5 stars from me.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HiddenGem2010
Kennewick, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the Enzian for a brief get-away over Thanksgiving weekend. It's a very comfortable, and charming hotel. The room we had was one of their most basic, but had lovely touches that made it really special and very comfortable. And though we were right off the lobby, it was quiet. We came in from dinner Friday night to find a group singing around the piano in the lobby, and other folks were relaxing, listening or playing games, in the open area above the lobby. I hesitate to even write this recommendation - because I hope there's a room for us next time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam H
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have been staying at the Enzian since the 80's and always found it to be a relaxing place to stay. The staff is friendly, the rooms and public areas are clean and the holiday decorations make it feel like home. There are both indoor and outdoor pools and enough activities to keep the whole family busy. The breakfast is outstanding and the horn playing is one of a kind.

The rooms do need an update but are clean and in good condition. The small frig is very handy.

A short walk to downtown and ample parking.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are bigger 2-queen rooms.