“Great margaritas and food!”
Review of South Leavenworth

South Leavenworth
Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
Description: Located in picturesque Leavenworth, Washington, SOUTH celebrates the traditions of Latin dishes and drinks from Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina and more. In our rustic space, we modernize the delicious food of open-air markets, beachside palapas and taquerias. From Michoacán carnitas to Brazilian caipirinhas, our dishes and drinks will transport you to their countries of origin. Drop by, have a bite and travel the world with us.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to South last weekend during Maifest with friends/family and had a terrific meal. Scratch margaritas were very good, to include a yummy, spicy jalapeno margarita with cilantro. We had a big party out on the back patio, and service was timely, with drinks food coming out without much wait. We had crispy fish tacos, burrito in a bowl, stuffed jalapenos for apps, as well as the big wet burrito. Did not hear a complaint from our whole party and everyone commented on how good the food was. The menu is great with many different mix and match options with great ingredients. We will definitely go back as there were at least a dozen things on the menu we all wanted to try!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We recently spent a weekend in Leavenworth with friends, and when it came time to choosing a restaurant for an early dinner, it was unanimous: South! We love the unique menu, the friendly atmosphere, and the food is first rate.

I tried the soft taco platter this time, three mini flour tortillas (doubled up so they don't leak through) with my choice of several topping combinations. I tried the chicken tomatillo filling, and it was wonderful. They came with a hearty serving of tangy coleslaw. The four of us shared a basket of tortilla chips as an appetizer, and there's a self-serve salsa bar so you can choose your favorites. Mine is the tomatillo salsa.

I've also had the chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, and the lunch sampler, which is a good way to try several of South's yummy menu items.

South is small and inviting, with a small bar area and outside seating for the warmer months. It's
a great change of pace from all the Bavarian restaurants in Leavenworth, and it's popular. So plan to stop by well before the dinner hour to get your name on the list, then go enjoy shopping or people watching in town while you wait for a table. South is worth the wait.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Asked the locals about which restaurants to try out and they all said "South". I was not disappointed! They had a wonderful variety of very flavourful dishes to choose from.
I will be sure to visit again next time I visit Leavenworth!

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We've been here before and we will be here again. I had the green chicken enchilada this time. The green tomatillo sauce is excellent. I will definitely return so I can try more menu items.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Being in a Bavarian Village this restaurant was a nice option from the Wiener Schnitzel and sausages. Don't get we wrong, I love to eat those too! Nice atmosphere with a small bar and TV.
The menu is unique and not the typical Mexican choices. My husband, brother and sister-in-law all had the burrito bowls and I chose the chicken enchiladas. They enjoyed their meals very much but my enchiladas were pretty standard tasting and too much food offered. It didn't come with the usual rice and beans. You have to pay extra for those as well as a bowl of chips and salsa.
A bit pricey for what you get but it is a tourist town!