“Solid mexican fare”

Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
Description: Located in picturesque Leavenworth, Washington, SOUTH celebrates the traditions of Latin dishes and drinks from Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina and more. In our rustic space, we modernize the delicious food of open-air markets, beachside palapas and taquerias. From Michoacán carnitas to Brazilian caipirinhas, our dishes and drinks will transport you to their countries of origin. Drop by, have a bite and travel the world with us.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had lunch at South when vacationing in Leavenworth with family. We were seated promptly in the main room and our waitress was nice and efficient. The chips and different home made salsa were excellent and their margaritas and beers on tap (I had a Pacifico) are very decent. Nothing fancy but relaxed atmosphere. Everyone enjoyed the food (I had the Burrito revolution with shrimp). Overall a great experience. Will come back when in L!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal. I had the Big Wet Monster Burrito and my wife had the shrimp enchiladas. Both were excellent! The Basil Daisy Margherita was like no other Margherita we've ever had. Highly recommend it. Josue was an excellent bartender and we enjoyed visiting with him. Good luck at WSU Josue!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Went there for lunch on the recommendation of the hotel desk lady. This is a small restaurant that specializes in South American dishes. Four of us went for lunch, we all ordered something different. I had the Three Taco special, each with a distinct filling and each delicious. I forget what everyone else ordered but we were all in agreement that this was one great place.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I decided to eat here because of the great reviews. Nothing we experienced merited any positive reviews. It was happy hour with drinks 1/2 off so my wife orders the strawberry/rhubarb margarita special, only to be told--at 4:30 in the afternoon--that they just changed bartenders and they're all out of the syrup but the bartender would create a similar drink for her. I had ordered the standard margarita. Both drinks come not in traditional margarita glasses but in large shot glasses filled with ice. Both drinks were nothing like margaritas--mostly alcohol and no other taste. Minus one star for South.

I ordered the Carne Asada and Quesadilla and my wife ordered the Mission Burrito with chicken. For my $18.95, I got about four small quesadillas triangles (taco-like) with maybe a half-pound of chopped meat in sauce total. It was tasty but I've had the equivalent in a real Mexican food place for about $8.00. There was a bit of tasty beans and rice as sides and a little mashed avocado they called guacamole, even those there was a large unmashed piece of avocado. Minus two stars for South.

My wife said her burrito was very tasty but not $11.99 tasty. Again, we've had better elsewhere for less. Minus three stars for South.

Our server was friendly enough, but mainly to the point of trying to push more drinks on us or to order dessert.

My wife and I plan to visit Leavenworth again but we might never eat at this place again. South is just one of the many overpriced restaurants with less than great customer service in town.

1  Thank Rick L
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Had the fish tacos and they were very good. Food is very fresh and they have a varied menu. I welcome a restaurant like this because it is different from the typical heavy Leavenworth bratwurst menu. You can have a heavy meal here but also can find something lighter. Good drinks also.