“Fun and Friendly”

Ranked #60 of 93 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Der Hinterhof is a traditional style Beer Garden & Restaurant. Indoor beer hall with space to stretch out and linger and outdoor patio style beer garden to enjoy the beautiful landscape. Board games, foosball, ping pong, shuffleboard and beer pong! Live music most weekends year around. Multiple HDTV for sports. Twenty craft beers on tap, walk to the riverfront, open late with a full menu. Seating available for large groups. Kid and pet friendly.
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Casual and laid back "Hangout type of place for decent food and drinks. Pub style food with some German items as required for Leavenworth. Good selection of local beers, wines, and spirits (careful of the moonshine). Bartenders were friendly and amusing, fun to joke around with and made the visits enjoyable. Good variety of seating choices from benches, chairs, stools, couches, to meet your needs. They even let people bring their dogs in, which gave it that homey feel. Live music the night we were there (Winston & the Churchill's), with no cover charge. Not a high class, fancy type of place just a good working class hangout. I'm sure when the weather turns nicer, the place can get really hopping with the outdoor patio/beer garden. We will make another trip this summer to hangout.

Leavenworthy, Owner at Der Hinterhof, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks for the feedback. Our menu is brand new as of June. All BBQ. With most of the meat prepared on site from fresh. Pitmaster Jordan runs the show now. And the food is much, much better!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wanted to use my voucher for food-to-go on my last day in Leavenworth. The foods I could get were problematic as far as causing bubble guts. I could only get the sausage/kielbasa (?), house made chips, pretzel, appetizers, etc. I had a long drive back to the Seattle area and I didn't want a gut buster of a drive back. I ended up not using my voucher. I will be back to Leavenworth soon, so I would love to have the chance to try the menu as I saw some dishes I would have liked to have tried. I'll update my review at that time. Also, see my review under Adventure Inn.

Leavenworthy, Owner at Der Hinterhof, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

We do offer food to go, but it is basically pub food (fried, BBQ'd) and better consumed on-site with a cold one. Hope to have you back with a little more time to spend.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My family and I stayed a few nights in the Adventure Inn above this restaurant, and found this to be one of the highlights of our trip. The first night we wandered down, and our teen boys were happy to have the courtyard to themselves, with the ping-pong table. We were there on a Sunday evening and pretty much had the place to ourselves. They lit a fire in the evening, and my Hubby and I were content relaxing by the fire as the boys spent some energy. They offered s'mores making kits, which I thought was really cool. To complement the evening, I asked my Hubby to get me a cider to enjoy. In the bar he was charged a $10 cover for the band that was playing inside. Initially, I was kinda annoyed as we didn't come for the bar band, but just to chill in the courtyard, and get some snacks. However, from out by the fire we listened to the band which was excellent, and I couldn't believe more people weren't there for the music alone. Great band, and the $10 cover was suddenly was obsolete.
Eventually the teens headed back up to the room, we stayed and enjoyed the fire and more Cider. The locals were so friendly, and welcoming. We were quite entertained chatting it up with the group, and they even sang a personalized song after inquiring where we were visiting from and our names. It was a lot of fun!
The second night, we had a voucher (included in our Hotel deal) to spend on food. The family once again, was warmly welcomed and we sat in the Restaurant/Bar, and the kids had a blast playing fuse ball, and ping pong while waiting for our dinner. I loved the chalkboard walls and pail of chalk.
I noticed other reviews harshly critiqued the food here, and it leaves me wondering if some people are so bored in life they have to make up negative experiences. The food was amazing!! It doesn't presume or advertise to be an Authentic German food. Go to one of the many German restaurants, if that is what you're craving....
Yes, some of it was "bar food", but bar food DONE RIGHT. We ordered a ton of items, and enjoyed them all. My Hubby and I ordered a spinach salad to start, it was enormous, fresh, and very delicious. My son ordered the wings (its one of his favorites and he is a hard critique), which were tasty, spicy, crispy and not greasy as you find at most restaurants. They were so outstanding he asked for another order of them. My nephew had the burger, which was served on a long crusty bun. I would just love to see this served with a cup of auju, it would hit it out of the park! I had the Thai chicken pizza. It was unique, flavorful, and had me wishing it came larger than a "personal size". Our group also shared the house Nachos, which were the perfect balance of crispy *homemade ribbon cut potatoes*, cheesy, spicy, sour-creamy, and black bean yumminess. All in all we loved the food, and atmosphere of this restaurant. I also gotta give a huge shout out to the wait staff, Maggie and Dan, who were not only adorable, but had great customer service down! They were attentive, yet-laid back, efficient, and seemed to enjoy their work. Thanks, Der Hinterhof, for the great food, beautiful courtyard, fire, and fun! We will be back. Don't change a thing!!!

2  Thank OlyGirlSarah
Leavenworthy, Owner at Der Hinterhof, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

thanks for the comprehensive review. The band that night set the door charge. However, it should have been waived for someone sitting outside and just coming inside to get served. Sorry about that.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

This was the first place we visited after we arrived at Leavenworth (first time visit). (I had been to Munich and Berlin.) We went because we parked nearby and we were hungry. It was about 12:30pm. The environment is just a normal place, nothing unique. The beer is OK.
The food was not good....... They had only one type of sausage on the menu. We ordered it, and it was the same stuff you will get at an amusement park food court. And it tasted no better. For us, we cannot tell if we will enjoy a hot dog at Costco more.
We expected a lot more from Leavenworth. Luckily, other places saved our impressions for Leavenworth.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment in the brautwurst. We get our meat directly from CURED, the only local processsing plant. Supporting other local businesses is important to us.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you are into the German thing, this is a nice place to get some good solid German food and beers.
The evne had a tyrolean dressed harmonica player (which tends to get a bit loud for the cellar, so ask for a table away from the harmonica :)

Probably this review is of a different place.