“I loved our visit”

Nutcracker Museum
Ranked #1 of 26 Shopping in Leavenworth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Displaying over 6000 nutcrackers, the Nutcracker Museum is a unique experience for visitors. People have come from all over the world specifically to view this unique collection. You’ll find nutcrackers from Roman times to modern day and nutting stones from the Archaic period. Students will enjoy a “nutcracker hunt”, our version of a scavenger hunt!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I didn't exactly go into the museum kicking and screaming but I wasn't super excited to go. My wife really wanted to go so I went. You start by watching a short video on the history of nutcrackers. Then you go into the museum. Holy cow! If you can appreciate the craftmanship then I think you will enjoy this visit. I found the place very enjoyable and fascinating. We ended out buying one of the hand carved nutcrackers that was signed. It's going to be a cherished piece to hand down to one of the grandchildren. When you buy a nutcracker from them, it helps to support the museum so for that alone, don't buy one anywhere else in town. Go to the museum and get one from them just to help support them.

1  Thank Ron B

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I will admit up front that I collect nutcrackers so I was inclined to like this museum before I ever went there. I have been there with non collectors and they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Nutcrackers really started as a form of folk art/utilitarian tool. The history of nutcrackers can be traced as you walk through the museum. The changes in workmanship and style and from tool(nutcracker) to work of art can also be seen. The differences in style from different regions is also shown.

I thoroughly enjoyed the museum and it really exceeded my expectations.

1  Thank SunnysideDon
Reviewed 9 October 2013

It is a small place but interesting. There is a video to watch which we did and learned some things. There are hundreds of nutcrackers and some are interesting. You don't need to spend a lot of time there, but it is unique.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

You can sure tell that this is a labor of love for the owner. It's worth doing at least once to complete your visit to Leavenworth!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stopped here on a tour. Kind of joked about it but it was actually very interesting. The "nutcracker lady" gave quite an enjoyable talk and we were amazed at the art and history displayed.