“Perfect for a Christmas getaway”
Review of Abendblume

Abendblume
Ranked #3 of 22 Leavenworth B&B and Inns
Boulder, Colorado
“Perfect for a Christmas getaway”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Leavenworth & boy were we glad we chose Abendblume! The entire place was decorated for Christmas, even had a small lit Christmas tree in our room. The tv was on in our room when we arrived also & set to the dish networks Christmas music channel. Our breakfast dishes looked like Spode china with the Christmas tree on them, a nice touch every morning with different Christmas patterns. Every evening when we returned home from the tree/town lighting we were welcomed with a different dessert all three nights we stayed there, much to my husbands delight! I would definitely recommend staying here the next time you are in Leavenworth!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We just spent the most wonderful night in Leavenworth at the Abendblume. My sweetheart and I have birthdays close together, so we decided to drive up to Leavenworth (about a 4 hour drive from Hood River, Oregon) to celebrate. We had never been here before, so we did not know where to stay. For one thing, it is difficult to get a room for just one night in Leavenworth and almost impossible at a B&B. Don’t try it on a weekend in December for sure!
After reading many reviews, we chose the Abendblume. We had mixed feelings about choosing it. In reading the reviews, most of them sounded great, but a couple of them had us concerned. Put your fears to rest if those bad reviews bothered you! We had an extremely enjoyable stay.
This review is somewhat long because I want to address some of the negative comments we had read in other reviews.
The setting is very nice. It is less than a mile from downtown. If you have ever been in an area that has 40 acre parcels, the setting is kind of like that. They have neighbors, but none real close. There are several acres of land separating the various homes in the area. There are also majestic mountains surrounding the entire valley. The view of the mountains from the chalet is magnificent and awe inspiring.
You first see the Abendblume from the road, sitting back several hundred feet. It is REALLY nice. Reminiscent of a gorgeous Alpine chalet. Driving up the long, birch tree-lined drive was wonderfully quaint. The trees were strung with white lights, making it just delightful.
Renee, one of the owners, met us at the door. She was extremely gracious and showed us around, took us to our room and made us feel very welcome. The room was wonderful. Perfectly clean. My sweetheart and I both think the bed was the best we have ever had at a B&B. We have been in many. The sheeting was just glorious. Clean and soft. It was done in the Austrian style with individual comforters and no top sheet. This is not my personal favorite, but they also have a regular top sheet available, and Renee offered it to us as she was showing us the room. The quality of all the bedding was just top notch. Once again, the best we have ever had at this type of an establishment.
When we travel, we usually try to pick a high end B&B. We like the homey atmosphere and great food. Abendblume is no exception. It is right up at the top with a solid 5 stars. Renee had decorated for Christmas, and the place was like a castle. Or more accurately like a Swiss Chalet. It is just beautiful. Tastefully, but fully emblazoned for the season. We were impressed. In fact, the quality of everything was exquisite, from the woodwork to the marble tile. Everything exceeds expectations.
There is a wonderful parlor/library with an inviting fireplace and generous, comfortable, seating areas. It also has a nice old grand piano, but I think it is mostly there to add to the ambience, as it is a little out of tune and seems to be missing some felt.
That evening we were treated to a wonderful chocolate dessert made with a gingerbread crust. It was delicious. They provided tea and coffee to go with it. I would have enjoyed having a glass of port or other wine, but did not feel slighted by its absence. If you want to bring your own wine, they provide cork screws and glasses.
There is a beautiful, fairly wide spiral staircase leading to the upstairs. It is just enchanting.
As stated, this is just a very special, high quality, establishment.
I want to take a few minutes and address the items that were mentioned in the very few bad reviews. These few bad reviews almost caused us to avoid one of the most wonderful B&B’s we have ever experienced.
1. Someone mentioned that the breakfast was not all that great. I can only say that the one we had was fabulous. And, this is one of the few B&B’s we have ever stayed at that also had something for those of us who are watching carbs. Renee provided delicious turkey, ham and cold sausage and a variety of cheeses as well as soft boiled eggs. The meats were absolute top quality. I had no problem making a full meal and avoiding carbs. Something almost unheard of at a B&B. I did decide to partake of a few carbs and tried the delicious, freshly made Apple puffs that were provided. Excellent! As was the sauce that went along with it. There were also fresh fruits provided as well as hot oatmeal and various breakfast breads and English muffins. Now if someone was looking for a gourmet, made to order breakfast, this is not it. But, everything provided was top shelf and there was plenty of it.
2. Another person felt that they had been slighted or ignored in the breakfast conversation ( Renee answered this person on the blog, btw). I can see how someone may have felt that way. The morning we were there, Renee spent the entire time speaking with friends/clients who had been coming to stay there for 20 years. She did not come and sit with us. But, we did not feel slighted. She made us feel welcome at breakfast and even said that she was sorry she was spending so much time with her friends and hoped that no one felt ignored. When I had first read the other person’s complaint, I had envisioned a very large dining area where they may have felt that not enough attention had been paid. However, the breakfast area is quite small. You are all sitting there within a few feet of each other. If Renee was ignoring anyone, it was from 6 feet away, and she made sure that we were well taken care of.
3. Someone else mentioned Randy not being friendly. This may be a legitimate complaint. I believe that Randy is one of the owners. Possibly Renee’s husband. I do not know this for sure. I did not have the opportunity to meet Randy personally while there, so I cannot say how he comes across in person. However, when deciding whether to make a reservation or not, I called for some information and spoke to a man who identified himself as Randy. I must say, he was not especially friendly and not particularly helpful. Now you might not care about that if you were calling the local Walmart. I felt as if I were bothering him and he would much rather be doing something else rather than talking to me. You might think that I caught him in the middle of something, but not so. I had left a message and he returned my call. So Randy, if you are reading this, I am only telling you how you come across on the phone. If you don’t want to be perceived that way, I would do something about it. First appearances count for a lot. Your lack of warmth on the phone, combined with reading the bad reviews, almost caused us to go elsewhere.
4. A complaint was made about the fireplace. The one in our room (the Almrosen Room) was one of the best drawing fireplaces I have ever used. No smoke and no problem with our fire alarm or anyone else’s fire alarm going off in the night. I might also mention here that our room was amazingly quiet. We did not hear one sound from outside the room. Only the crackling of the logs in our fireplace.
5. There was a complaint about the shower. Once again, the one in our room was great. Renee showed us how to operate it and it worked fine for us. It has about 5 additional spray nozzles on the wall in addition to the two main shower heads. All worked wonderfully. It was a beautiful, marble tiled shower that provided plenty of hot water. I am personally not used to an open shower. In other words, it did not have a door or a shower curtain. It was designed not to need one. It was open to the rest of the bathroom. My preference is for a closed shower as it is warmer. But there was nothing at all wrong with this one. There was also a roomy and luxurious bathtub. Perfect for two if you are so inclined. :)))

I highly encourage you to try Abendblume. I cannot imagine that you will not be happy with your stay. You never know what to expect the first time you stay somewhere. However, as I stated, we have stayed in MANY high quality B&B’s. You can tell almost instantly whether the owners know what they are doing or not. Some people just should not be in the B&B business. That is NOT the case here. It is obvious from the first moment that these people know what they are doing and they do it very well and have done it for a long time. These are not, however, the type of people who come running up and hug you. Renee is gracious and friendly and is the consummate hostess. She is just more of a reserved, German type (her words), not the effervescent, bubbly type (my words). You will like her. You will love your time at Abendblume.

Room Tip: The Almrosen is splendid. It may be the only room with a king bed. Be sure to inquire.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank N701AZ
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Abendblume for two nights. We absolutely loved it. Renee was so friendly. She had the place decorated for Christmas. I wish I could decorate my house like this. We stayed in the Kitzbuhel room. This was the only room on the main floor. Renee said it was a modest room, but we didn't have any complaints. There was a nice King size bed and plenty of room to move around. Those that complain about things at this place are crazy! Seriously, those that complain, must really want to be picky. It's a short drive to the main street. I didn't mind at all being away from the center of town - because what you get in return is absolutely wonderful. Okay, so the best part about this place is the food. The breakfast were the best I've ever had. You had a mix of different things, including homemade danishes or Danish pancakes. We could have stayed forever just for the breakfast. You get dessert in the evening as well and it's just as wonderful as the breakfast. We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: I would believe that any of the rooms are wonderful, but if you are on a budget, even the less expen...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I brought my mother here in Nov 2013 and it was lovely. The atmosphere was elegant and luxurious. The food was delicious and the innkeepers were very helpful. I actually looked at another place in person, but decided to check out Abendblume instead. I'm so glad I did - this was one GREAT last-minute reservation. I highly recommend Abendblume to any travelers looking to stay at a very nice, clean, special B&B.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have a door to the bath area (toilets, yes, but bath/shower, no) - so if you ar...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I just returned from celebrating my 40th birthday with my husband at Abendblume in Leavenworth, and I have to say it was a wonderful and memorable experience! Becky was very welcoming when we first arrived. Since there was only us and one other couple, she was even kind enough to upgrade us from the room we booked (Kitzbuhel) to the Rosengarten, which had a breathtaking view of the surrounding fields and nearby mountains. I loved sitting outside on the balcony, even in the middle of November, because the view, the quiet, and the clean crisp air were all so inviting. Inside, the room was so cozy, comfortable, and clean. As someone, who has family in Europe and is well-familiar with European hospitality and practices, Abendblume really has everything to the letter when it comes to having a touch of European comfort and style. The duvet-covered comforters and soft yet firm beds made me feel right at home with plenty of pillows to sink my head in.

After spending the afternoon in downtown Leavenworth, it was so nice to return to delicious apple pie with caramel sauce waiting in the dining room. My husband and I enjoyed having dessert sitting on a cushy sofa in front of a warm fire in the sitting room across the hall. I have to say that all the commonly shared areas were beautifully decorated with furniture and artwork, and the Christmas decorations that were up for the season gave the place a homey, festive feel.

The breakfast was the best I've had at a B&B--different meats and grain bread for open-faced, European-style breakfast sandwiches, fruits, yogurt, and hard boiled eggs so nicely presented with European music playing softly in the background. And those warm, little Danish pastries that resembled donut-holes in appearance were to die for! I could pop them in my mouth endlessly if my stomach was big enough!

On top of all of these things, what we really appreciated was the quiet and the space we were given. At some B&Bs, you feel like you're imposing in someone else's home; at Abendblume, you feel as close as you can be to being in your own home.

Abendblume has received a number of awards, and they truly deserve them. This is an exceptional B&B that pays attention to details and the comfort of their guests. It's clear that the owners take pride in what they do. I would highly recommend Abendblume to anyone visiting the Leavenworth area, and I would definitely love to return in the future.

Room Tip: We saw 3 rooms in person. They are all well cared. Choose the room that appeals to you and fits yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen K
Glendora, CA
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The room in which we stayed, Dornroschen (Sleeping Beauty), had a corner, wrap-around deck, a wood burning fireplace and, the bathroom had both, a whirlpool tub and a separate shower with “jets” everywhere. Our friends stayed in Almrosen (High Mountain Flower). They had all the same amenities as our room, but with a smaller deck. However we could remove the separating “gate” to incorporate their deck into ours.

Enough about the rooms. Rene is a wonderful hostess. She made you feel that you were in your own home, not hers. She was available when needed, but not intrusive in any way. Her breakfasts were typical German fare, with cheese, meats, cereal and fruit; just superb. And returning from dinner to find homemade apple pie and coffee or brownies and coffee waiting, was fantastic.

Don’t forget to throw the ball for Jackson, their canine greeter.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We drove down from Victoria, B.C. to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday. We knew it was going to be special place -- there were 4 other special events (that we knew of) going on there at the time - a marathoner in his..80's? and his family racing that weekend, an engagement and a combined birthday and wedding anniversary. Renee made each one of us feel very special.

The Inn itself is absolutely gorgeous. Almost everything from the carpentry, to the wall mural, the decor, to all the baking (a different delicious full/hot Bavarian-style breakfest every day! and a dessert every night!), is hand-made. Even each of the door handles are artisan-made. It definitely created a very special ambiance.

We stayed in the Bridgette, which we were warned was "a small room" - but it was extremely comfortable with it's own bathroom and private balcony. Not a squeeze by any means. We have definitely stayed in far smaller/more cramped quarters at other hotels in Canada and in Europe.

Only complaint would be the bathroom is in need of a little updating to match the rest of the room, and from what I've read, to the other rooms in the Inn. The faucet was quite leaky and caused the pressure of the showerhead to be on the low side. Also, the fireplace is a small elecric heater that we didn't feel produced a lot of heat and made a strange cyclical noise. However, to be very fair, I believe it is one of the more popular rooms because of the price so it is likely a little more difficult to find a good time to renovate!

It is within walking distance (we felt) to town and during Oktoberfest, there is a free outbound shuttle back to the end of road until 1:00 a.m. It is close enough to the party but definitely worth staying out of the noise, crowds and busyness of the town...being 30 and not 20. ;)

All in all, it was an amazing experience and we felt spoiled. We are already planning a trip back with friends next year, and this time we will remember to bring our bathing suits for the beautiful hot tub!

Thanks Renee!

Room Tip: "Brigette" is facing the Inn's side road but that also made it very quiet. Not sure if...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple