“Fantastic B&B for all seasons”
Review of Abendblume

Abendblume
Ranked #5 of 22 Leavenworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We are so glad that we went to Leavenworth, WA in September 2013! My sister recommended this quaint town in the mountains as an "add-on" to attending her son's wedding in Seattle. The drive through the mountains was beautiful, and this B&B was a fabulous find! The owner prepared truly gourmet breakfasts with a Bavarian flair. The Snow White room had an amazing view, plus a wrap-around balcony with petunias. The setting was quiet! We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to all. We greatly appreciated the owner's hiking suggestions and loved the gorge trail with its bridges and views. We even stopped at an "historic" salmon hatchery on the way there. We have stayed at many B&Bs and give this one our highest marks for its location, service, and food. It is a family-owned business, which is particularly nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We just returned from a weekend in Leavenworth. Despite a lack of snow in the area, we had a great visit and experienced a magical bed and breakfast: the Abendblume. The home is cozy and inviting and authentically Bavarian (according to my husband who used to live in Germany). I especially enjoyed sitting in the main living room in front of a roaring fire reading my book under a cozy blanket. Renee is a most delightful host who gave us information about the property and the area and made us feel immediately welcome. She also cooked a heavenly breakfast each day. Being an early riser, the coffee outside my door in the morning was especially welcome. Abendblume is an enchanting place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have stayed here multiple times over the past few years and every stay has been excellent. The rooms are so cozy and comfortable, mix that with amazing food and it is a winner all around. We have stayed in the smallest room and the largest room, each of them charming in their own right and worthy of a return visit. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, perfect for a nice weekend away. We will definitely return again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was our first trip to Leavenworth & boy were we glad we chose Abendblume! The entire place was decorated for Christmas, even had a small lit Christmas tree in our room. The tv was on in our room when we arrived also & set to the dish networks Christmas music channel. Our breakfast dishes looked like Spode china with the Christmas tree on them, a nice touch every morning with different Christmas patterns. Every evening when we returned home from the tree/town lighting we were welcomed with a different dessert all three nights we stayed there, much to my husbands delight! I would definitely recommend staying here the next time you are in Leavenworth!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We just spent the most wonderful night in Leavenworth at the Abendblume. My sweetheart and I have birthdays close together, so we decided to drive up to Leavenworth (about a 4 hour drive from Hood River, Oregon) to celebrate. We had never been here before, so we did not know where to stay. For one thing, it is difficult to get a room for just one night in Leavenworth and almost impossible at a B&B. Don’t try it on a weekend in December for sure!
After reading many reviews, we chose the Abendblume. We had mixed feelings about choosing it. In reading the reviews, most of them sounded great, but a couple of them had us concerned. Put your fears to rest if those bad reviews bothered you! We had an extremely enjoyable stay.
This review is somewhat long because I want to address some of the negative comments we had read in other reviews.
The setting is very nice. It is less than a mile from downtown. If you have ever been in an area that has 40 acre parcels, the setting is kind of like that. They have neighbors, but none real close. There are several acres of land separating the various homes in the area. There are also majestic mountains surrounding the entire valley. The view of the mountains from the chalet is magnificent and awe inspiring.
You first see the Abendblume from the road, sitting back several hundred feet. It is REALLY nice. Reminiscent of a gorgeous Alpine chalet. Driving up the long, birch tree-lined drive was wonderfully quaint. The trees were strung with white lights, making it just delightful.
Renee, one of the owners, met us at the door. She was extremely gracious and showed us around, took us to our room and made us feel very welcome. The room was wonderful. Perfectly clean. My sweetheart and I both think the bed was the best we have ever had at a B&B. We have been in many. The sheeting was just glorious. Clean and soft. It was done in the Austrian style with individual comforters and no top sheet. This is not my personal favorite, but they also have a regular top sheet available, and Renee offered it to us as she was showing us the room. The quality of all the bedding was just top notch. Once again, the best we have ever had at this type of an establishment.
When we travel, we usually try to pick a high end B&B. We like the homey atmosphere and great food. Abendblume is no exception. It is right up at the top with a solid 5 stars. Renee had decorated for Christmas, and the place was like a castle. Or more accurately like a Swiss Chalet. It is just beautiful. Tastefully, but fully emblazoned for the season. We were impressed. In fact, the quality of everything was exquisite, from the woodwork to the marble tile. Everything exceeds expectations.
There is a wonderful parlor/library with an inviting fireplace and generous, comfortable, seating areas. It also has a nice old grand piano, but I think it is mostly there to add to the ambience, as it is a little out of tune and seems to be missing some felt.
That evening we were treated to a wonderful chocolate dessert made with a gingerbread crust. It was delicious. They provided tea and coffee to go with it. I would have enjoyed having a glass of port or other wine, but did not feel slighted by its absence. If you want to bring your own wine, they provide cork screws and glasses.
There is a beautiful, fairly wide spiral staircase leading to the upstairs. It is just enchanting.
As stated, this is just a very special, high quality, establishment.
I want to take a few minutes and address the items that were mentioned in the very few bad reviews. These few bad reviews almost caused us to avoid one of the most wonderful B&B’s we have ever experienced.
1. Someone mentioned that the breakfast was not all that great. I can only say that the one we had was fabulous. And, this is one of the few B&B’s we have ever stayed at that also had something for those of us who are watching carbs. Renee provided delicious turkey, ham and cold sausage and a variety of cheeses as well as soft boiled eggs. The meats were absolute top quality. I had no problem making a full meal and avoiding carbs. Something almost unheard of at a B&B. I did decide to partake of a few carbs and tried the delicious, freshly made Apple puffs that were provided. Excellent! As was the sauce that went along with it. There were also fresh fruits provided as well as hot oatmeal and various breakfast breads and English muffins. Now if someone was looking for a gourmet, made to order breakfast, this is not it. But, everything provided was top shelf and there was plenty of it.
2. Another person felt that they had been slighted or ignored in the breakfast conversation ( Renee answered this person on the blog, btw). I can see how someone may have felt that way. The morning we were there, Renee spent the entire time speaking with friends/clients who had been coming to stay there for 20 years. She did not come and sit with us. But, we did not feel slighted. She made us feel welcome at breakfast and even said that she was sorry she was spending so much time with her friends and hoped that no one felt ignored. When I had first read the other person’s complaint, I had envisioned a very large dining area where they may have felt that not enough attention had been paid. However, the breakfast area is quite small. You are all sitting there within a few feet of each other. If Renee was ignoring anyone, it was from 6 feet away, and she made sure that we were well taken care of.
3. Someone else mentioned Randy not being friendly. This may be a legitimate complaint. I believe that Randy is one of the owners. Possibly Renee’s husband. I do not know this for sure. I did not have the opportunity to meet Randy personally while there, so I cannot say how he comes across in person. However, when deciding whether to make a reservation or not, I called for some information and spoke to a man who identified himself as Randy. I must say, he was not especially friendly and not particularly helpful. Now you might not care about that if you were calling the local Walmart. I felt as if I were bothering him and he would much rather be doing something else rather than talking to me. You might think that I caught him in the middle of something, but not so. I had left a message and he returned my call. So Randy, if you are reading this, I am only telling you how you come across on the phone. If you don’t want to be perceived that way, I would do something about it. First appearances count for a lot. Your lack of warmth on the phone, combined with reading the bad reviews, almost caused us to go elsewhere.
4. A complaint was made about the fireplace. The one in our room (the Almrosen Room) was one of the best drawing fireplaces I have ever used. No smoke and no problem with our fire alarm or anyone else’s fire alarm going off in the night. I might also mention here that our room was amazingly quiet. We did not hear one sound from outside the room. Only the crackling of the logs in our fireplace.
5. There was a complaint about the shower. Once again, the one in our room was great. Renee showed us how to operate it and it worked fine for us. It has about 5 additional spray nozzles on the wall in addition to the two main shower heads. All worked wonderfully. It was a beautiful, marble tiled shower that provided plenty of hot water. I am personally not used to an open shower. In other words, it did not have a door or a shower curtain. It was designed not to need one. It was open to the rest of the bathroom. My preference is for a closed shower as it is warmer. But there was nothing at all wrong with this one. There was also a roomy and luxurious bathtub. Perfect for two if you are so inclined. :)))

I highly encourage you to try Abendblume. I cannot imagine that you will not be happy with your stay. You never know what to expect the first time you stay somewhere. However, as I stated, we have stayed in MANY high quality B&B’s. You can tell almost instantly whether the owners know what they are doing or not. Some people just should not be in the B&B business. That is NOT the case here. It is obvious from the first moment that these people know what they are doing and they do it very well and have done it for a long time. These are not, however, the type of people who come running up and hug you. Renee is gracious and friendly and is the consummate hostess. She is just more of a reserved, German type (her words), not the effervescent, bubbly type (my words). You will like her. You will love your time at Abendblume.

Room Tip: The Almrosen is splendid. It may be the only room with a king bed. Be sure to inquire.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N701AZ
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Abendblume for two nights. We absolutely loved it. Renee was so friendly. She had the place decorated for Christmas. I wish I could decorate my house like this. We stayed in the Kitzbuhel room. This was the only room on the main floor. Renee said it was a modest room, but we didn't have any complaints. There was a nice King size bed and plenty of room to move around. Those that complain about things at this place are crazy! Seriously, those that complain, must really want to be picky. It's a short drive to the main street. I didn't mind at all being away from the center of town - because what you get in return is absolutely wonderful. Okay, so the best part about this place is the food. The breakfast were the best I've ever had. You had a mix of different things, including homemade danishes or Danish pancakes. We could have stayed forever just for the breakfast. You get dessert in the evening as well and it's just as wonderful as the breakfast. We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: I would believe that any of the rooms are wonderful, but if you are on a budget, even the less expen...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I brought my mother here in Nov 2013 and it was lovely. The atmosphere was elegant and luxurious. The food was delicious and the innkeepers were very helpful. I actually looked at another place in person, but decided to check out Abendblume instead. I'm so glad I did - this was one GREAT last-minute reservation. I highly recommend Abendblume to any travelers looking to stay at a very nice, clean, special B&B.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have a door to the bath area (toilets, yes, but bath/shower, no) - so if you ar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends