“Ruckwardt review”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Leavenworth
Cottage Grove
“Ruckwardt review”
Reviewed 6 October 2008

The owners Michele & Gary went out of their way to make our stay fantastic. We had a chance to sleep in the old church and this was a great experiance. The food was great and the location in a unique city you could not beat

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank cruckwardt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Picked Pension Anna as recommended by Rough Guide to U.S.A book. We wanted something kitsch and "Bavarian" and this seemed to fit the bill! Breakfast was good, staff and service all very friendly.
Some help with luggage would have been good as we had a large suitcase and there is no lift, but that's my only (small)complaint.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — free internet would be good
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank silvershorts
Summit, NJ
Reviewed 20 September 2008

This was our first stay in Leavenworth and found this hotel online. It was truly a delightful find! If you're looking for a true Bavarian experience in Leavenworth (why else would you go to Leavenworth if you weren't), I highly recommend Hotel Pension Anna. It is one of the few places to stay in Leavenworth that not only looks the part externally, but has a true Bavarian feel inside as well.

The hotel itself is conveniently located right next to the Festhalle, which is where the Oktoberfest activites take place. It is also at the end of Front Street, making all the shops and restaurants of Leavenworth right outside the door. Given the location, all you need to do is park your car (of which there is plenty of space at the hotel) and walk to any of the activities that Leavenworth has to offer.

The rooms at the hotel are similar to the Gasthauses I've stayed at in Germany & Austria. The hallways and public areas have been tastefully decorated with Bavarian pictures and furniture, adding to the ambience. We stayed in the Tuxertal room, which was one of the basic rooms on the third floor. The room had plenty of room for two people, and had access to the balcony overlooking the Festhalle. The balcony was shared with the room next door. While we were there, we had the opportunity to look at some of the other rooms, and next time will choose the Ottman, which has a jacuzzi tub right next to the fireplace in a separate area from the bedroom.

The breakfast was similar to simple breakfasts served in Bavarian/Austrian B&Bs, and comprised of various sliced meats, cheeses, and hearty breads; as well as yogurt, muesli, and kuechen. The staff made soft or hard boiled eggs by request.

The one thing to be aware of is that the hotel has no elevator, so if you don't want to have to take stairs to get to your room, then requests a room on the ground floor.

Overall, Hotel Pension Anna was a great place and we'll definitely return there on our next visit to Leavenworth.

• Liked — Location and Bavarian atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nverhoff
Seattle
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We had a fantastic stay at Pension Anne, primarily due to the warm welcome and attentive service of the owners. Though Leavenworth can definitely slap on the cheezy Bavarian treatment, having lived in Bavaria I'd say that Pension Anna does a fine job of providing an authentic Bavarian experience. The breakfast was simple German fare, and again, the care and attention of Gary and his wife were what will bring us back again.

• Liked — The breakfast with the hosts
  • Disliked — The beds were not the most comfortable, though passable.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lafeola
TX
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Pension Anna was very authentic - down to every detail in the building, furnishings, decor and even the dress of the staff. We've stayed in many B&Bs in Germany and this one really matched in authenticity and service. It was really fun to relive Germany while in Leavenworth and staying at the Hotel-Pension Anna.

• Liked — it felt like we were back in Germany
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank shbTx
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Our hotel was wonderful for the price. The hosts were amazing and the price was very reasonable. We had our 8 month old with us, and they were very accomodating, helping us find the right room via email. The room was sparce but very clean. The only "problem" was loud plumbing. Honestly, not a big deal to us.

***Side note***Most of Leavenworth is aging and ambiance everywhere is suffering. There was a lot of construction. I think they are tearing up the roads in order to put down cobblestone, and I think there is a large scale intiative to spruce up the town.

I would stay there again if only to see our hosts, who treated us like old friends. However, I would probably check out an Icicle Creek cabin or something similar for the next time.

• Liked — Our hosts
  • Disliked — Loud Plumbing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank kimseystation
Fort Worth
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We really liked our stay here, but if I was back in Leavenworth I would probably try something else out.

Breakfast: They say it's authentic. It was unique, but I really want more than boiled eggs and cold cereal for breakfast. I'm glad I had the experience. Also, I didn't like waiting until 8 to eat. I'm 2 time zones away from home. I'm ready to eat breakfast much earlier and get started on all there is to see and do in and around Leavenworth.

Rooms: Excellent. Great furniture. Very clean. Not cookie-cutter. If I was travelling with a family or a group, I'd try out the room at the church.

Staff: Very nice. Everyone really seems to enjoy their job. The new owners had just taken over in January and seemed glad to be there. The new owners didn't really seem like innkeepers; they seemed more like investors dressed in Bavarian clothing to me. That's probably just my opinion, and I hate to say it about such nice people. They were still learning everything then so they did make a few mistakes.

Other: Don't count on the wifi. I asked the owner how to connect, and he gave me the information. He then told me that I was better off using the wifi from the property next door. He was right. I lost my connection multiple times. I don't remember whose wifi I was using, but if you have to refer your guests to someone else's wifi then you shouldn't advertise that you have wifi.

Overall, it was a great place, but I walked around town and saw some other places that I'd like to try out if I come back.

• Liked — Unique accommodations and breakfast
  • Disliked — Breakfast and wifi
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mrjanto