“Run away!”
Review of Chautauqua Lodge

Chautauqua Lodge
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This place is at the top of the list for the worst place I have ever tried to sleep (yes tried....because i never actually could). We booked an "ocean front" room and where happy to pay $90 a night (a real deal right?). When we got to our room we where supprized by how horrible it was. We had read some reveiws about it being outdated and thought it would be ok.....the 90s is outdated right? It appears nothing has been done since the 70s when this place was built. We ended up switching to a "condo" and paying an extra $50. It was just as bad. The lights kept on going out due to a triped breaker, the walls where so thin i could hear the people in the next room piss, no AC, and the window "coverings" did not even cover the entire window. I would have rather slept in the car. Save your money. Go to Super 8. If this is the only hotel left in town than STAY IN ANOTHER TOWN!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank timhodges1

Reviewed 12 July 2014

It saddens me to have to write such a poor review, but others need to know. I chose this hotel because I stayed here 20 years ago and it was wondeful, then. Don't be fooled by the ocean view, there is not one unless you pay $40 more per night. We stayed on the ground floor hoping to walk out our slider to the beach...I must have forgotten it was 3/4 mile away. Microwave, refrige, breakfast included...nope, available for a fee. Wimpy water pressure. I could barely rinse the shampoo from my hair. TV, well, I think it was state of the art (from when I stayed there 20 years ago). Now it's archaic and should be in antique mall. The walls are paper thin, the floor creaked, and I won't take up space or time talking about the wall art; I'll just say, yikes. Did I mention the broken fireplace? Did I say no ventalization:heat or cool? No screen on the door for the 'old fashioned' ventalation. It definately smelled musty. Sheets and mattress pad was so stretchout it didn't stay on the mattress corners. Even the 'book of things to do' avertised dates from 2011 and 2012. Be aware that the price listed on the funbeach web site is not the price you will pay. I asked for that rate and they were conviently 'sold out'.
In summary, save your money. It was NOT cheap, and I think a Motel 6 or Super 8 may have been a better choice. Upon departure, the property manager asked what I DID like about it. I honestly said, "I'd have to think about it."

Room Tip: See it before you make a decidion to stay. You might continue shopping.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LM C
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Rooms have no Wi-Fi, 20% of all the lights are out, front desk lady ignored us when we needed to ask for towels, peeling linoleum in rooms, sliding glass door doesn't work- it's hard to just open! The decks are not safe to stand on, the brackets holding them up are flaking off. Even the lobby that they tell you has Wi-Fi doesn't work well :(

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank KristeneQueen
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The room was OK, VERY average, we were on the second floor, and I had wanted a third floor room. I called the hotel a few days before our arrival to request one and I'm so glad I did, I had booked the room via a Groupon and either the hotel or Groupon "lost" our reservation. It took a few phone calls to straighten it out, but they agreed that I had indeed, paid for a room and managed to squeeze me in.
The balcony was nice, you can hear and see a sliver of the ocean from the room. The bed wasn't very comfortable, though. I can't say I expected much for $110 a night, "ocean front", but this location could really use some updating. Would I stay there again? Probably, but, I think you can do better,

Room Tip: Definitely call and confirm reservation if you book via Groupon. Supposedly, all the reservations f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nicole D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The room was simple. What you need for a few days was there including a frig, microwave and single coffee cup maker. The view is installed behind the large sliding door and it is magnificent in any weather. Clean view of he ocean either bonus gulls who come to visit and deer and other wildlife. The dunes have great trails and a path straight to the water. Great staff. Clean large pool, hot tub and sauna. Delicious food at the Lightship restaurant next door. Will return!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view on 2nd and 3rd floors of ocean. 1st floor is a view of the dunes.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I am a total hotel snob so I was very concerned about visiting this property. We had celebrated our honeymoon here 40 years ago and wanted to return.

The room was typical for a beach location --- indoor/outdoor carpeting, big old tv, and a patio door that didn't have a screen.

The wonderful? We looked out our window the first evening to find a lovely sea gull perched on our balcony. The next morning we opened our curtains to see 5 deer frolicking in the field between us and the beach.

We were in the newer, hotel area, and found the bed to be less than perfect, but comfortable. The furnishings were basic, but fine. There was a microwave/mini fridge combo that worked perfectly.

The toilet seat was super low, but they supplied me with a raised toilet seat cover. Everything requested was taken care of.

The hot tub was clean and we enjoyed it. The pool was very pretty, but barely heated. I would estimate 80 degrees or less. I wasn't able to put more than a toe in the pool.

The hotel is quite close to the water and our view of the ocean was lovely, and I'm watching right now to see the sunset.

The staff offered to upgrade us to a "deluxe suite" which we visited. The "deluxe suite" is actually the old condo units where we had celebrated our honeymoon. The curtains were falling off, the bed was hard as a board, and the walkway / entrance was sorely in need of repair. The kitchen had modern, clean furnishings. Both bathrooms were lovely with very nice, spotless tubs.

I would ask to have a room away from others if possible. The walls are quite thin. The staff goes out of their way to comply with all requests.

I am very pleased with the entire staff. I have spoken with six different people during my stay, and been pleased with their attitude and willingness to help in all instances.

Housekeeping was excellent also. The room was clean and the overall stay was special.

Room Tip: Top floor if you are a couple and don't have a dog! Request a room away from others if at all p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie R
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay and bring the dogs too. Right on the beach and a fun biking/walking trail. We stayed in the deluxe suite with a fully equipped kitchen. Helped us save a few dollars not having to eat out every meal.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family