“mediocre”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Great location, dog friendly hotel but not quiet up to par. The rooms are decorated in minimalist style - bed was comfy but there was NO other furniture in the room I stayed in. I booked a partial ocean view room - if I craned my head out the window I could have seen the beach but for the most part I was overlooking the parking lot. There was also a very bright exterior light right outside my window which kept the room bright even with the drapes closed. The hotel is worn and dated - floors are worn and scuffed. My room could have been cleaner. There is virtually no sound proofing so you can hear everything above, below and on either side of your room - they do provide you with earplugs in the room!!! Not sure I would come back unless there was a room discount. This place is pretty bare minimum. They do have great restaurant upstairs - Pickĺed Fish.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Mollie C, Guest Relations Manager at Adrift Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry the room you stayed in was not to your liking. Depending on how full the hotel is we are always happy to upgrade or move our guests if their room is not what they expected! If guests call us about a room problem, our capable staff is always quick to offer a solution to make them happier. So glad you enjoyed dining at Pickled Fish!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

My wife, daughter and myself booked one night in the Adrift Hotel as we were in the Long Beach area to visit our parents. We checked in earlier in the evening then had the family visit. After arriving back after midnight we pulled back the sheets to rest. My wife noticed a small spot on the sheet which appeared to be blood. Later we noticed another spot along with hair. My daughter's bed sheet had a yellow stain as well. We called the front desk without any answer. Being so tired, we went to sleep anyway. I am not saying this is typical of the Adrift Hotel. It just made for a miserable night's rest.

Room Tip: Please check the sheets carefully before committing to the room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David P

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I am so sorry you didn’t have a restful night sleep while staying with us. We double check our sheets with each room clean and typically do not have complaints about cleanliness. I again apologize that during your stay you had a less than perfect housekeeping experience. I did email the address we had on file to offer you a free return stay on us, feel free to email me at mollie@adrifthotel.com if you wish to take advantage of this! Thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

A nice view from our room we could not see the ocean due to the rain, but we could hear the roar of the waves. (We stayed in December) In room fridge, no hair dryer, GREAT beds! My wife and I really slept great on the mattress. No carpets due to sandy beach, makes sense... coffee in the lobby is good but in the room is better first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor (3rd) to get the best view and no one walking on floor above you making noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so sorry you didn't have your coffee maker and hair dryer during your stay. We offer all those amenities upon request, we would have been happy to run them up to you if needed! I do apologize you weren't aware of this. We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

First, we loved the location- right next to the beach entrance. Close enough for two old women with bad knees can even walk to the sand! We stayed in the west building, 2 floors down from Pickled Fish restaurant.

The recycled/reuse/repurpose decor was fine. We try to live in harmony with our environment and appreciate tasteful attempts at repurposing and such.

Problem is, another set of wooden crates on the other side of the bed (for a 2nd nightstand) would have made a lot of sense. Strike 1.

Harsh lighting. Lack of direct lighting on that same nightstand-less side of the bed. Strike 2.

Lack of dresser space for clothing. I thought about stealing a wooden crate from the common area on our floor. Strike 3.

Cool games in the common area- table top shuffleboard and foosball. Minus one strike.

No microwave or coffee maker in the room. Microwave in the common area for floor. Partial credit here.

We paid a premium for the ADA/handicap accessible room. Except that the old fashioned, not-so-low-flow toilet with the lower than ADA seat heighth would not qualify by federal standards. Strike 4.

Oh and the alternating scalding/freezing water in the barely-flowing shower head? Yikes. Strike 5. (I complained about this to the front desk at check out- we made do during our stay but the plumbing needs to be fixed).

We wondered what the ear plugs on the nightstands were for- then realized why as loud restaurant-goers made their way down the stairwell right next to our room. Lack of insulation=Strike 6.

PF Burgers rocked. Minus one strike.

Total- still too many strikes. We will return to Long Beach in the future but not so sure we'll stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauri M

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We always count on guest feedback to make improvements. Glad you enjoyed our proximity to the ocean and our fabulous restaurant Pickled Fish! We do have amenities at the front desk that would have improved your stay with us. We have individual reading lights upon request that can improve the bright lighting in the room; we also have coffee makers available upon request that can be immediately delivered to your room. I do apologize for the toilet seat height and the water temperature problems. As we are located in an older hotel there are quirks to our building that give it the character it does! We always try our hardest to accommodate any and all guest needs when they are brought to our attention during their stay.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel was very clean, bright and comfortable. As many others have noted, the furniture was unusual, with kind of a modern décor. We have a family of 5, so it was nice that our room had a separate bedroom for the kids. One drawback was that there was no elevator, so I had to haul a bunch of luggage up three flights of stairs. They had bikes available for use, but we didn't have time to use them. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thanks so much for your review! Glad you enjoyed your time here with us! We do have an elevator in our west building, but the views in our east building are phenomenal on the third floor ( you do have the stair climb though)! We look forward to having you back with us for another stay where you can use the bikes!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

As someone rightly said, this place goes for shabby chic in their decor. Bed stand, bathroom toiletry stand and TV stand are all made of repurposed wooden crates. Pluses - electric floor board heater worked great and QUIET. There was on-demand hot water. The bed may have been a Temperpedic (in a handmade wooden frame, of course) and was very comfortable. It is a pet friendly establishment that only charged $15 for the stay. The locally roasted organic coffee available in the lobby was very good. I was there on a Living Social special and also got two Adrift monogrammed travel coffee mugs and a lb. of their coffee. I could have gotten a discount at the Pickled Fish restaurant that is part of the hotel complex, but had other plans with friends and didn't get to use it. The beach is just a stone's throw from the hotel. A few things to be aware of: the wind did whistle through the window, which fortunately only happened one of my two nights there. I would recommend the east building because there is live entertainment at the Pickled Fish in the other building which may not be pleasing to everyone. This is an older building and you will hear the goings on of your neighbors above and below you clearly. People bounding up and down the stairs don't seem to heed the signs asking for soft voices and footsteps. I can't speak to the spa, which appeared to be in a room of the first floor of the east building. Overall, good value for the stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank seashelltrvl

Thank you so much for writing in a review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the fun hotel amenities we have to offer. When we have a full hotel both buildings can sometimes get noisy, but we always try to relocate guests when we have the capacity to give them the best stay possible. We hope you choose us again when you travel back to the area! Cheers!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

They gave us three choices of rooms, we chose the cottage. Excellent. It takes a lot of cleverness to reuse old furniture, everywhere in the room and get me to like it. They even delivered a breakfast basket. Nice little veranda, and the club, upstairs dining was excellent. Dinner, a view and a band. I would go back anytime. Oh, didn't use them, but free beach cruisers were available.

Room Tip: Get the cottage if you can. It also has a studio loft available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple