“Avoid the moped rentals”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Apollo Activities Incorporated
Ranked #14 of 15 things to do in Long Beach
Denver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Avoid the moped rentals”
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We just got back from a fantastic vacation in Long Beach and everyone in our party had a wonderful time. There is much to see and do. Four of us decided to rent mopeds to ride on the beach, so we checked out Apollo Activities. What should have been an enjoyable experience was anything but.

We only rented for an hour and the rates were reasonable. However, my moped stalled after 10 minutes and I could not re-start it for nearly 40 minutes. I should have known this might be a problem because before I took it out the employee at Apollo had difficulty getting it started, as well. When I questioned it, the manager (Uriah) said it was because it was cold and hadn't been started that day (even though it was about 3:00 PM). When I asked Uriah for extra time or a credit, he got an attitude so I backed off and paid the hourly rental fee even though the entire group I was with only rode for a total of 15 or 20 minutes. The rest of the group did not want to leave me sitting on the beach stranded while I waited for Uriah to come and help. (By the way, my sister's moped had to be driven very slowly (10mph) because the front wheel was slightly bent and it wobbled like a crippled duck).

When I returned the moped and let the person at the counter know what happened he seemed indifferent, as he has probably heard this story many times before. I told him I would be writing to their Chamber of Commerce about their business. That angered Uriah. When I got home I was going thru my on-line credit card account and noticed that Apollo Activities charged me an additional $150. I immediately contacted Uriah and he said it was for returning a wet moped, a trumped up accusation in retaliation for my threatening to report their business. I never went near the water, and nobody else in my group was charged this outrageous fee.

Be cautious if you decide to rent their equipment. Your best bet is to get there early and pick equipment that isn't tattered---much of it is worn out and needs replacing. And don't forget to check your credit card statement for sneaky charges.

63 Thank stsaf