“Yum!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went to Bensons By the Beach on a Sunday morning around 9am for breakfast. The service was very quick and a little snarky (the way I like it). The menu plainly states "no substitutions please" so I had a very hard time deciding what to order. The waitress came by and I told her about my indecision and she totally helped me out. I ended up with a side order of chicken fried steak and 2 pieces of french toast. Basically she subbed all the stuff that came with the CFS with the french toast. She commented that the day was slow so far and the cooks needed something to keep them on their toes. I was happy to be that one.
Food came pretty quickly and the CFS was on of the top 3 I have EVER had. It was super hot too!!! Nothing worse than warm or lukewarm food. It was so good I ate it all then turned my attention to the french toast...that's where this place when from 'excellent' to 'very good' - it was bad. My hubby would have loved it because he's not much of an egg fan but I LIKE french toast. I want the bread soaked through with egg batter and crisp on the outside. This was crisp on the outside for sure, good flavor batter but the inside was just bread. The egg batter did not soak into the bread at all so it was more like just toast. I ate a few bites out of the middle but it was too dry for me. I don't drink coffee so I can't tell you there.
The table next to us had pancakes and both of them raved how good they were. We ate very slowly and never felt rushed. They were friendly with everyone coming in and the waitstaff was working well as a team. You could tell they enjoyed what they were doing.
We have been to Long Beach a lot since family moved here in 1998. This was our first visit to Benson's and we will definitely be back for the chicken fried steak. This time we might have pancakes instead.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a nice little place in the heart of Long Beach. It is not vegetarian friendly, but most breakfast places are not. The waitresses were great and very responsive. The restaurant is clean with plenty of seating. Cost was reasonable. I had the crab omelet. It was very good. My partner had the oatmeal and she liked it. Good place for breakfast, no frills, but nice place with nice people in a great little town.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I had a crab omelette which was packed with crab yet oddly tasteless. They did accommodate my gluten free needs though. Hubby had eggs with grilled razor clams and was pleased with it. Service was excellent with coffee refills without having to ask. Overall an OK place.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I like seafood they have great clam chowder and crab melt. One friend hates seafood she loved her hamburger. And the last one is a vegetarian she had several choices the most she had our whole trip. Service was great.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my first Hangtown Fry for breakfast here. Gotta do oysters when visiting the beach, after all. We had a window table overlooking the beautiful garden and water feature. Service was excellent. No complaints at all.