“The Smoked Salmon Chowder was so good we came back!”

Captain Bob's Chowder
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Long Beach
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: We have moved to new location. 2 Blocks North, right next to Marsh's Museum
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Yeasterday it was a crab roll and the smoked salmon chowder. We sampled the clam chowder and the halibut chowder, but settled on the salmon chowder.

This is casual dining. Had great conversations with others in the place. One person comes back over and over. He said the fish and chips were devine.

Today we came back, .. he was right! The fish (Cod) and chips is great. Or should I say WAS great.. its gone now.

For less than $20 (including the tip) we each had a big piece of fish, plenty of fries and split a bowl of chowder.

Too bad we are moving on..or tomorrow we would have come to try the coconut shrimp.

2  Thank Charlene L
Cathy T, Owner at Captain Bob's Chowder, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

It was so nice to meet you Charlene and your husband.

I just love your marketing skills. Sold that young man on Salmon Chowder before even new he was hungry.

Can't wait to see you and hubby next time your in town.

Thanks so much for the five stars. I know you rarely give that out. We very much appreciate your kindness

Enjoy till we see you again

There are newer reviews for Captain Bob's Chowder

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Ok... Had to try this place after reading so many positive reviews here.... Disappointed.... The chowder was way too thick, had to add water from our water glass to make it go down...still very salty. It's a one-man show and he seemed really nice and wanting you to like his food. The fish and chips-he breads right before he fries, so you know it's fresh! And we saw him cut his own fries!
Seems he had plenty of "regulars" coming in, so maybe it just wasn't "our taste"

2  Thank Foreveryounggal
Cathy T, Owner at Captain Bob's Chowder, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Capt. Bob and I are disappointed that you didn't enjoy your chowder. Capt. Bob would have been more than happy to thin out a fresh cup of chowder for you. As for the salt we do take a light hand because there are those who prefer less salt due to health reasons or personal choice.

We would love for you to give us a second chance. Come in and sample any or all of the chowders of the day. The one you choose will be a free cup just to say Thank you for letting us make it right for you. We love to hear all comments whether good or bad. We take them all seriously.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

If he didn't have the sign on the sidewalk noting corn chowder I would have passed by since this is a little spot, connected to a huge "museum" shop. When someone offers corn or salmon chowder, well that piques my interest, more than the ubiquitous clam chowder. Unfortunately he ran out of the stuff, darn, so I ordered fish & chips, another favorite dish. You receive 2 really huge pieces of nicely seasoned fish accompanied by a large side of fries. It was so much food I couldn't eat it all. However the piece de resistance was the cole slaw. At first glance I noticed brown things and thought ugh, he put in raisins. Yuck. However upon closer inspection saw cranberries instead, along with mandarin oranges! Yum-O! Without a doubt, the best slaw I've ever had the pleasure of eating. OK when was the last time you had cranberries and mandarins in your slaw? Probably not everyone's favorite but I can tell you I was in heaven. Topping off the meal was ginger ale. Now very few restaurants carry ginger ale but it is the only soda I drink. That was a surprise. For sure this was the best meal I've had in awhile, from start to finish. I was in heaven.

1  Thank tokyorose50
Cathy T, Owner at Captain Bob's Chowder, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

thank you for the nice review. I loved talking with you both. Long Beach isn't to far away. Till next time.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had a couple bowls of clam chowder for dinner last night when we hit town... back today for some of their seafood chowder, Fish 'n Chips, and some Coconut Shrimp for lunch! Saying it was Yummy would be an understatement! Our new favorite place in town!

1  Thank je64
Cathy T, Owner at Captain Bob's Chowder, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thanks for the great review. See you next time you two are in town.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Not just clam chowder, but halibut and Salmon - all home made with a bread stick. Quick and easy.
This is not a sit-down place, but counter order with some indoor and outdoor tables. The locals said it was the best in town and I have to say it was great. Fast friendly service and not overpriced.

1  Thank Dave E