We came to the Inn at Discovery Coast for a one-night getaway for my wife’s birthday. This was our first time to stay at the Inn, and we had a wonderful time here!
Although, we must say our stay at the Inn did start a little shaky . . . at check-in (which is located in the Inn’s sister-property – the Adrift Hotel), the issue was - the Hotel’s new reservation system showed us arriving a day later than our Groupon booking. Our Groupon voucher showed us arriving 06MAY, but their system showed us arriving 07MAY. As a result, the 2nd floor Corner Studio where we were to stay per our Groupon booking was not available. In fact, all 9 rooms in the main building of the Inn were fully-occupied for the night. Where would we stay now? Well, after some discussion in the back-office area with her manager, the front-desk employee returned to talk with me. She apologized for the mix-up and offered us to stay at the Beach House part of the Inn – in either the Loft or the Studio which were both available. She recommended the Loft, but I asked if we could see both rooms and decide. She said sure. After looking at both rooms, the Beach House Loft was indeed a better layout for us and more spacious. So, we took the Beach House Loft (Room 10). In addition, for this reservation mix-up, the front-desk included a bottle of champagne in our breakfast basket for us to make mimosas and a $20 food/drink credit at [pickled fish] – this was a nice added touch by an empowered front-desk, which we appreciated for our circumstance – well done Inn/Adrift!
So, here are the 5 things we LOVE about the Inn at Discovery Coast, and think you will too . . .
1. Location. The Inn has maybe the best location we have seen in Long Beach, WA. From the Inn, you are footsteps from the Beach, Boardwalk, and Discovery Trail. During our stay, we ate breakfast at the beach. We took our breakfast basket provided from the Inn, along with some coffee from the Adrift lobby, and some eggs we cooked-up in our Beach Loft kitchen – voila – breakfast al fresco! The other nice features to check-out are the picnic shelters to eat at while on the beach. The boardwalk nearby is a half-mile long (good for a nice stroll), and was also named in Travel + Leisure magazine as among America’s Best Beach Boardwalks. We also highly recommend exploring the beautifully done Discovery Trail. Whether you choose to walk, run, or bike-it, the Discovery Trail is a “must-do” when staying at the Inn. And, if you choose to bike-it, the Inn has complimentary bikes to use and enjoy (located in the Adrift lobby).
2. Décor. When you enter the Loft, the décor whispers “Welcome to the Beach.” We’d describe the décor in the Loft as beach-luxe-chic with eco-industrial-modern touches and earthy tones. The Loft is approximately 425 sq. ft. (the largest of all the rooms at the Inn) and consists of one bed room, sitting-area, small kitchen, living-room with desk, and bath room with an over-sized jetted tub & separate shower. It also has hard-wood floors throughout the Loft. A big part of the décor is the use of reclaimed wood that they repurposed as decorative or functional. For example, they use reclaimed wood window frames and turned them into picture frames, as well as, reclaimed wood-crates are used as part bench and storage in the sitting-area. The reclaimed wood-creates are used in the bedroom as side-tables and in the closet. In the living-room, the crates are also used as part of the desk and coffee-table. The décor in the Loft really appealed to our taste & style. If we ever designed a Beach House property, we would want the décor to look like this Loft. We loved it!
3. Amenities. For such a small property, the Inn scores big with us when it comes to their quality amenities! Their amenities we love include:
- Free bikes.
- Free organic coffee by Columbia River Coffee Roasters (they have Tea too by Equal Exchange). Columbia River Coffee Roasters has even created a special custom – Adrift Blend. Very good coffee!
- Free fruit-water – very refreshing.
- Free DVDs and board-games to borrow (honor-system).
(Note: the bikes, coffee, water, DVDs, and games are all available in the Adrift’s hotel lobby.)
- Breakfast basket included ($18 value)
- Comfy Sleep Innovations’ Queen Memory Foam Mattress with Organic Cotton Linens.
- Pillow-Chocolates by Endangered Species Chocolate.
- EO bath products – all natural. We love EO products. Once you try EO, you will want to have them at home too. And, if you want to purchase them while at the Inn, they have them available in the Adrift lobby. We also found EO products at Grocery Outlet Bargain Market near our home at really great prices as well!
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Free Parking.
- Free Microwave Popcorn – great to pair with a Free DVD movie from the lobby or just when you get the munchies.
- DirecTV in living-room and bed room.
- iPod docking station in the bed room.
- Over-sized jetted tub.
4. Intimate. The Inn has 12 rooms. 9 rooms in the Main Building and 3 rooms in the Beach House. As a boutique hotel, the Inn has a private - exclusive-feel that we really enjoyed. The Inn is ideal for couples or anyone looking for some quiet-time to relax and unwind by the ocean.
5. Kitchen. The Beach House Loft is the only room at the Inn that has a kitchen. So, while the Beach House Loft does not have a deck like the other 11 rooms (but still with good ocean views), it having a kitchen will make your stay here even more unique – it certainly did for us – especially, if you like cooking and saving some money from eating-out. After checking-in and seeing that the Loft had a kitchen, we went down to the local grocery in Long Beach – Sid’s Market IGA. From there, we prepared and enjoyed dinner in the Loft and the following morning we made eggs to take down to the beach for breakfast. Also, thank you to the [pickled fish] kitchen for the cup of milk. When we went to prepare our clam chowder in the Loft kitchen for dinner, we noticed we forgot milk. So, I went to the Adrift’s front-desk to see if they had any in the lobby for sale. They didn’t. But, the front-desk then called the [pickled fish] restaurant to check. They did and said come-on-up – we have milk for you – no charge – nice!
Here are some other important “know-before-you-go” tips for the Inn we'd like to share:
- When you arrive, go to the Inn’s sister-property – the Adrift Hotel for check-in. The Inn does not have a dedicated check-in desk at the property.
- Based-on our experience and knowing that the Inn only has 12 rooms, we would strongly recommend calling the Inn before-hand to confirm your reservation – especially if using a Groupon deal. We were very fortunate this time that the Inn did have some options for us that we found satisfactory. But, what if they didn’t have any rooms available – that would have been very disappointing. Also, when we checked-in, the front-desk said the breakfast basket that is advertised on the Inn’s website as included in your stay was not part of the Groupon deal. However, on our Groupon deal it said “Complimentary breakfast.” Nevertheless, we still received the breakfast basket during our stay. But, make sure to call ahead to be safe.
- The Inn is ideal for 1-2 people per room. However, the Loft does have a living-room. And based-on our assessment, you could easily fit an air mattress in this space if you wanted to sleep there too.
- The Inn is very dog-friendly. Outside our Loft, they have a doggie-wash station in-case you have “Fido” enjoy a romp on the beach. Pets are allowed in all 1st floor rooms at the Inn, which would be 5 rooms total. They do charge a one-time cleaning fee of $15 per pet, with a limit of 2 per room unless prior arrangements have been made. They also ask you do not leave your pet unattended in your room at any time during your stay. If there is damage done to the room by your pet, you are responsible for the charges of-course.
- As an add-on to your room, the Inn also offers a variety of promotions to further create a memorable stay. For example, they have promotions for Romance to Clam Digging to Bonfire at the Beach. Check the Inn’s website for their latest promotions and charges.
- If you need anything (food to clothing) while in Long Beach, close to the Inn by car are Sid’s Market IGA and Dennis Company. These two stores should have anything you need at good prices. We really liked both of these stores while visiting Long Beach.
If we would make any recommendations to the Inn to improve, we would suggest refreshing the breakfast basket contents, consider offering guests at the Loft with an “Eat-In” promotion option to more fully use the kitchen available in this room, and upgrade & expand the kitchen appliances and utensils in the Loft.
Bottom-line, we paid $132 with a Groupon deal to stay at the Inn for one night, which is a good value we think especially for the Inn’s location and everything else with it. However, during our stay, we did notice that there were Midweek Specials at the Inn’s website for as low as $106/night. So, we could have scored an even better deal than our Groupon if we booked directly with the Inn.
In the end, it was a pleasure to stay at the Inn at Discovery Coast. We really enjoyed our stay here. If you are looking for a great place with responsive service to kick-back, recharge, or have a romantic Northwest getaway – this is the place. It’s a favorite of ours now. We will be back for sure!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Inn at Discovery Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn At Discovery Coast Hotel Long Beach