“I Don't Want to Let the Secret Out”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Long Beach
Boreas Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Long Beach B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon, United States
“I Don't Want to Let the Secret Out”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've got mixed emotions about writing this review. On the one hand, I want to share an incredible experience with others. On the other, I don't want the secret of this beauty get out. Bottom line: You won't be disappointed.

I'll start by pointing out that I'm really not much of a B&B guy. Have always found it odd to show up at a stranger's home, knock on the door, spend the night, then expect them to fix me breakfast. The intimacy of being invited into the home sets the B&B experience way apart from that of a hotel. So, my background for comparison here is not as vast as most people writing about the Boreas Inn. As a high-level Hilton Rewards member, tho, I can only say I wish all my hotel stays were this good, even with my perks.

I made the reservation at the last minute due to the fact that I changed plans and decided to head to Long Beach instead of the Oregon Coast. After searching (including reading TripAdvisor reviews), I decided on the Boreas. Within a couple of hours, I had received an email from them asking about my plans and how they could help in any way such as dinner reservations. I don't get that level of attention from private hotel concierges. After a couple of email exchanges, I had the basics of a plan and was on my way. I even remarked that if the Boreas was as good as the tone of the email conversation, the place would be fantastic. I wasn't wrong. The same level of service and attention to detail was present in every aspect of the weekend. If they don't ask you about something before you think of it, just ask away and you'll have your question answered and worked out in no time.

On arrival, it was very nice to meet Susie and Bill. Not all B&B's work like this. Nothing worse than walking into someone's home and having to figure things out all by yourself. We were given a great tour and explanation of the Inn and grounds, settled in, then headed out for an amazing sunset.

Our room was The Hideaway. True to its name, it seems to be a converted attic or storage space off of the main portion of the second floor. The room was quite spacious, had a day bed for my teen son, an alcove area for dressing, and a private bath. The bath itself was smaller than it seemed; they have done a wonderful job in the layout. Having a glass shower enclosure opens the room up nicely to give it a much more spacious feel. Everything was clean, the provided toiletries were excellent, and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. Over-sized pillows, throws, and comforter made it seem more like a fluffy, feather play area than a bed. Falling asleep was a breeze and I awoke feeling refreshed. I should also note that I have some pretty severe chronic back issues and I didn't have any pain at all in the mornings. My back was well rested, relaxed, and healed from the outings of the previous day.

All in all, an amazing first 'B' in B&B. The second, if you can believe it, was even better.

I have no idea how Bill and Susie acquired their cooking skills. But, I am ever so thankful that they did. In terms of the quality, taste and presentation, I can honestly say that the two breakfasts I enjoyed at the Inn were the best I have ever had. I won't give away any numbers in terms of age, but I will say that many chickens have provided eggs for me during my years. Any attempt by me to recreate the meals from memory and describe them as they should be would fall short and not do them justice.

What I will say, tho, is that this was gourmet cooking at its finest. From the coffee, to the freshly baked pastries and breakfast cakes, to the incredibly prepared fruit, and finally to the fantastic main course, the breakfasts were both worthy of being featured in any magazine or television program. By the time the initial offerings are finished, you feel as if there couldn't possibly be more, yet there is. I still cannot say if the main course complemented the fruit and pastries, or if it was the other way around.

In terms of pricing, the Boreas seems completely reasonable for all it offers. I suspect the price range does put the Inn out of reach of some travelers, but if you consider all you do get in terms of service (when was the last time you vacationed and didn't make at least one restaurant mistake?), comfort, and dining, then pricing starts to look quite different. We enjoyed six gourmet breakfasts that would easily be valued at $30 each just about anywhere you would look. If you think of it that way, our rooms were in the $100 per night category. More than reasonable given the coastal location during the summer season.

The only suggestion I can think of to make would be for Bill and Susie to invest in a Keurig, or similar, one-cup brewer for late evening teas and decaf coffee. They do have a quick heating pot for use that works quite well, but I love the convenience and simplicity of the single-cup machines.

In sum, I can't possibly imagine a scenario where you would be disappointed with the Boreas. It just can't happen.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Scott C
Susieatthebeach, Owner at Boreas Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Well you win the prize for the most detailed review we've seen. Thank you so much! Getting the word out is priceless to us because word of mouth makes for the most wonderful guests--and you rank in that category. Word of mouth is what keeps us alive and so spread the word so we stay solvent! There will be room for you at the Inn when you need the retreat!! Really a finely written review. Whew--grateful! Susie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Washington State
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Spent 2 night's at this great B&B. They set up dinner reservations at 2 wonderful restaurants. The breakfast was to die for and you won't be hungry for lunch. Great location as you can walk to all the spots in downtown LB. The trial to the beach is a great little walk. I am sure we will return for another trip in the near future. Thanks for all the hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I first discovered the Boreas Inn about five years ago. It is beautiful, welcoming and in the wonderful old timey beach town of Long Beach, Washington. But the best thing about Boreas are the innkeepers Susie & Bill. They are warm and friendly and seriously good cooks. Their breakfasts are out of this world. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable and filled with fresh flowers from their garden. They are always ready to go out of their way to help out - whether it be with a reservation at one of the great local restaurants or a suggestion for a day trip. I've been back four times since the first visit and will continue returning to this wonderful place.

Room Tip: We stayed at that Yett Beach House right next door to the Inn. Susie and Bill manage the property. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
We appreciate your loyalty and willingness to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. Thank you so much for your loyalty and friendship and great review! Hope to see you again sometime soon!
Susie
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Great room, relaxing weekend, very comfortable bed, and amazing food. With the hot tub, hiking, lounge area, and location to the beach there were things to do even in the rain. We hope to visit again!

Marysville, Washington, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The Boreas was amaizing. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and the breakfasts were 4 star everymorning. They made reservations for us for dinner one eveing and gave up great recommindations the hole weekend. Its a vary comfortable setting with a short walk down the path to the ocean. Susie and Bill really make it an amaizing stay for everyone and deffinanly will be back. I don't think I could ever stay in a hotel again after my experience at the Boreas.

Room Tip: All of the rooms had there own feel to them and all just spectacular.
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have stayed in many Bed & Breakfasts across the country, but none compared to Boreas. We really felt like part of the family (we did have the Inn to ourselves during our stay). Bill & Susie really know how to treat their guests. The Inn was clean, beautifully decorated, and comfortable. We stayed in the Dunes which is a large (ground floor room ) with direct access to the rear deck. Bill (with some background help from Susie) was our chef during this stay - amazing food. Be sure to checkout their website and the recipes shown there. Don't miss this place!

Room Tip: The best ocean view is the Stargazer room. The largest room is the Dunes.
1 Thank Gwsmith806
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Staying at Boreas Bed and Breakfast is like visiting friends from the moment you check in until it is time to leave. Susie and Bill are the kind of hosts that welcome and make each guest feel that whatever their needs may be all will be attended. The atmosphere is similar to being in a home that you have visited many times. The food is great and anyone that likes to cook should try the recipes on the web site.. Pat & Carl Anderson

Room Tip: Room on the ground floor south is large with many windows and door out to a lovely deck with comfy f...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family