“Could be real nice with a little more work”
Review of Monticello Hotel

Monticello Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Longview B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed one nightght to attend a dinner party held in one of the banquet rooms. The food for the dinner was excellent with several choices and the service was good and the price was very reasonable. After the party we went to the comfortable lounge which has a surprisingly good band fridays and saturdays. Drinks were very reasonable for a bar with live entertainment.

The hotel staff were friendly and attentive and room rate was resonable with a winter special rate.
The "newly renovated" room however, was a disappointment. It was not in the impressive main building but in an old motel next door with outside hallways When we checked in the room was so cold we had to wear jackets. We waited three hours with the heater on high to shower but it was still uncomfortably cold. Then the bathtub wouldn't drain so you had to stand in a pool of shower water. When we got up the following morning it had finally drained. You had to hold down the handle on the toilet to get it to flush. The room had finally warmed up by 1am. The remote for the tv didn't work. The room only has 2 table lamps for light so it is too dark to find anything in your suitcase without taking it over in front of the window.

We would hold a party there again for sure, and it is nice to have a restaurant in the hotel but i would try one of the other better reviewed places next time if i just needed a room.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank Dinocarmine

Reviewed 13 January 2013

The hotel is kind of cool because it is historical. We rented their most expensive room for $250.00/night. When booking the room over the phone, I informed the person that we would be in after midnight and she assured us that we could have late check out. When we arrived, the front desk person said she was not expecting us; but we were able to rent the room anyway and that she wasn't sure about any late check out. It was very loud just after midnight because a band was playing. The room was beautiful and large with antique decor mixed with modern. We did not hear the band from the room. There were two bathrooms, which was very nice. The only problem is that we could not get the room heated enough to be comfortable. I think that the heaters were fine but the windows were single pane and let a lot of cold air in. It was Jan 2013 when rented the room. The huge hot tub was glamorous with marble tile surrounding it and they left some nice bath salts and a candle next to the tub. But the bubbles were rust colored without using bubble bath or any additives other than the bath salts. I wasn't sure if it wasn't cleaned from the last guest or if it was due to something in the water. I checked with the morning desk person and she did let us check out a little late, which was cool.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jennie C
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I have been staying at the Monticello on a fairly regular basis (for business) over close to ten years. I have always noted how the facade of the hotel and the interior of the lobby exemplify what is both interesting and sad about Longview: this is a great town that is down on its luck relative to its historical standing. You can see signs of what Longview once was, but also clear instances of what Longview still tries to be.

The Monticello has, over the years, gone steadily from bad to better. My first stay was a disaster. Old rooms, poor customer service, bad house-keeping, and a laundry list of other issues (including a situation involving false eyelashes stuck to the bedside lamp). But each and every year something has improved. New locks on the doors, better furnishings. A more attentive front desk staff. And so on. These aren't sweeping changes. But they are consistently undertaken as and when, I must assume, the owners can afford to undertake them. The Monticello is _of_ Longview. And, like Longview, it tries to do what it can with what it has. As a fan of Red Lion properties, I would still pick the Monticello over the Kelso Red Lion if I had to choose. Why? It is unique and quirky whereas the Red Lion is almost always consistent regardless of the town you are in. Why? Historical properties with a sense of place always lure me back if I have a chance to stay at them.

I can't comment on problems with billing, though I would be peeved if things are as several of the other postings suggest. I also can't comment on staying in the main building (though I might ask about the location of my room relative to other services if I am getting up early and/or traveling with a small child). I haven't eaten there or had drinks in their bar. So I will make a few additional observations relative to my own experiences.

First, Ed R is needs a lesson in term usage as his own review is also (somewhat) 'constructively bogus' (is that supposed to be a form of legalese?). The website visually highlights the most notable part of the hotel along the top of the main page of the website (one of several pictures, mind you). It then provides, in several different locations on the site, a clear explanation regarding the types of accommodations (long-term, suite, motel, etc.) and services (office space, etc.) that it provides.

But 'relaxedocd' is close to spot-on as regards the current state of the ongoing renovations that have been/are being made to the motel rooms. Most (not all) of the rooms have swapped out the old bulky tubs and institutional fixtures for nicely (and, yes, brown) tiled walk-in showers with matching flooring that extends along the bathroom walls and into the entryway of the room. The renovated bathrooms also include better lighting, as well as exhaust and heating fans. Most of the rooms (not all) have flat screen TVs and relatively new carpets and furnishings. Note I stress most: several rooms still have the old bathrooms and the old TVs. The toiletries are still standard roadside fare (which looks out of place in the new bathrooms), the towels are still good (but not great), and the sheets remain rather thin and worn. But the rooms have fridges and microwaves, are bigger than most contemporary rooms, feature new and more sound-proof windows, and free internet. The hotel is also located in a central location in town (close to the campus, the hospital, food and grocery options, Nutty Narrows, etc.).

If you read a review that is older than mid-2012, and are ready to base your decision on the quality of the rooms (most, not all, again), you will likely be making a decision on out-of-date information. If you make a decision without considering the fact that this hotel is in Longview, you aren't really making an informed decision. At a price point slightly below $100, with additional discounts available for various memberships, the motel is a good option relative to other choices in the Longview area.

[Sidebar: I again have to suggest that Tripadvisor needs to implement a "good" rating between "very good" and "average" if they want to develop more realistic reviews.]

Room Tip: Ask before you stay: some rooms are noisier than others (park roundabout vs. residential, first floo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank ScottCanning
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

What a disappointment this stay was! We got in Friday evening after traveling 6 hours (with a baby) to discover that a live band plays until 1am... This was so loud it sent vibrations through to our room - which was the Parkview suite. We needed to be up at 5am and needless to say, we got NO sleep. Upon checkout the receptionist charged us $210 a night... When we were originally told $139 and would not even look at finding out why it was so high. The room was NOT worth what they charged us, not even close! It was dirty; stained, crunchy shag carpet, horrible beds and outdated dingy furniture. Will not recommend thus hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
33  Thank mariansteagall
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My boyfriend saw the sign by the motel part that said "recently renovated." It is a flat 60's style motel next to the old brick Monticello hotel (1920's). Because it was obviously freshly redone, it was just fine. Just very....brown. We were in the two-story section. The bathroom was very nice, stone tile. Flat screen tv. I think 32 inch sony. New windows, they opened. We needed something next to the college baseball field and this was 2 blocks away so it was fine for one night. No ambiance if you're looking for that. My boyfriend switched our reservation from Red Lion to here because he said the Red Lion room he looked at smelled musty and had a tube tv.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of the motel overlook the park across the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank relaxedocd
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Great looking old hotel. Unfortunately, the classic hotel is not used for obernight stays - that is handled by a motel next door. So the photo of the old hotel is constructively bogus marketing. Just saying.

The motel rooms are freshly remodeled but lack sound-proofing.

The front desk was helpful as i had reserved for the wrong day. My errror was quickly corrected.

However, the room rate was increaaed by over 20% without notice to me until i checked in.

Summary - friendly service at the front desk, bogus marketing, room rates in upward flux. You decide.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Ed R
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed on night for a short conference. Meeting facility was quite adequate, and the food for four meals was very good. My room was in the annex and the room showed its age. The room seemed to be clean; one small gripe was that the bathroom had no exhaust fan. The major gripe was the shower...the tub did not drain, and the hot water lasted about two minutes, then got COLD! Not a good way to start your day. The site worked well for the conference, but I would find a room elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DalCla77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longview
Quality Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Kelso
Best Western Woodland Inn

Been to Monticello Hotel? Share your experiences!