“Beautiful setting is a plus, but too many minuses to recommend...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
Lopez Farm Cottages & Tent Camping
Seatte
“Beautiful setting is a plus, but too many minuses to recommend...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My first time here, tent camped with my partner and some friends. The tent sites are far away from the campsites supposedly so you aren't disturbed by cars and lights..but the area is bordered on two sides by nearby roads and traffic noise! The community cooking area is small for 10 camp sites. They expect everyone to cook food and have a fire in this communal area, but there are 4 tables and a small fireplace. Not nearly enough room for this many sites. Parking is cramped. I would agree with other reviewers, the man who owns this place seriously lacks people skills. When we first arrived he stopped us and questioned us about some trash other campers had dropped on the ground. We hadn't even seen it, but he quickly brought it to our attention that we had "left something here and needed to pick it up". Not wanting to make waves, we just picked it up even though it wasn't ours. I parked in the wrong parking lot when loading up and the owner quickly came out and told me I needed to move that only cottage guests could park there. I was allowed to unload my cart before having to move my vehicle to the farther away camp site parking lot. I never saw him out and about being friendly with people... but he was immediately there out of nowhere to enforce rules. He just seemed a bit heavy handed to me. Other reviewers apparently can corroborate my experience. The sheep are adorable and the other campers were friendly and fun, but I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to my friends/family.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zagate414

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Grand Forks,BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Unfortunately reserved this place and had a tent trailor. Thought we could park it somewhere and would be fine. Owner or caretaker came out and was very nasty that we had the tent tralor. Basically told us that it would affect the quality of the place but chose a spot for us to park it. Was very put out. My kids and I lugged our stuff from the van to the campsite with a wagon and put up our tent. When I came back my husband was saying how rude this man had been. Upset about our treatment I stormed back, dimantled the tent and we left. I was very upset that someone would treat us so poorly. We then had no place to stay but managed to find another site on the island. Luckily met much nicer islanders and enjoyed our trip onto the island. Wow, I hope this man has had some further education on treating people! It was very unfortunate. Otherwise, the cabins and the grounds looked very cute!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank mollyGrandForks_BC
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

This is a great set-up for car camping without the car. We arrived late at night but good signage made it easy to locate the campground and campsites in the darkness. Sites are well-maintained and the tent building, complete with showers, dish sink, and fireplace, is perfect.
I did wish for a larger table at the campsite when using our stove, but we made do cooking on our cooler. Firewood is a bargain at $2/bundle and I enjoyed having a single fire at the tent building instead of individual fires at each site.
Saturday mornings are a little loud due to car traffic and the Whidbey NAS, but Sunday was nice and quiet. We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Astoria, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

This is the second time we've stayed in Cottage1, and it is one of the best places we have ever stayed! We *liked* it that we never saw the hosts and we had full privacy. We easily made reservations through their website & received email confirmation.

The sparkling-clean cottage is a little Swedish "stuga" with comfortable king-sized bed & large bathroom. The kitchenette has a sink, mini fridge & microwave. There's a sitting area with table & chairs (for 2) and two relaxin' wicker chairs as well. The gas fireplace is easy to use.

The icing on the cake is the private (easy-to-use) hot tub! (This is why cottage 1 costs more). It is a step from the cottage. Behind you is a "wall" of trees for privacy. We always took a dip at night, and we'd gaze at the stars (& shooting stars!).

The pastoral grounds include sheep (in March 08 we saw many more + lambs!) and are hoping with bunnies (and some deer) on the property. Also, the winery is in walking distance.

We loved having the breakfast basket delivered while we were gone; however, our only complaint is that we don't care for yogurt & biscotti for breakfast. We bought goods from Holly B's Bakery and ate them (& saved the biscotti for dessert).

Cottage 1 is a perfect romantic getaway! I'm giving it 4.5 stars.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RainyBadger
portland oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

The good:
Lovely pastoral setting, with obvious special care given by the gardener; cute and functional micro-cabins with good beds; lotsa bunnies; cart to wheel your stuff 100 yds to the cabins (which is kind of fun and OK); hot tub under the stars; a decent value for the San Juans (which are fairly expensive); good location near ferry, winery, and the village; tons and tons of quiet and solitude. Also, the three comment books in our room (dating back about 12 years) were mostly full of that trite BS you'd expect, but quite a few entries (including, now, mine) were super-hilarious, or cute, or racy--just plain fun (from drawings of each rabbit, with a suitable name for each, to the 5th annual "Dykefest," to some sexual references. Yee haw!

The not so good:
1. This was the first time I ever stayed at a hotel or B&B and didn't meet the owner. I guess they are totally xenophobic or are over-respecting the guests' privacy with the solitude vibe. You pay in advance, you check yourself in, and it's all self-serve from there. This may be the wave of the future; who knows? You may find it unfettering. Or it could just be another example of the continuing loss of service in what were formerly service professions.
2. This was the first time I ever stayed at a B&B and didn't get anything that was home-baked by the host. We got a basket in our rooms, which served as tomorrow's breakfast: It had pre-packaged biscotti, fruit and tea. There was yogurt in the fridge, but it had corn syrup so we couldn't eat it; that was really contrary to the island's hippie/green vibe.
3. Hot tub was too hot. Temp gauge said 105F, but it felt hotter than that. No fun. But a lovely machine in a great outdoor setting.
4. If you are prone to going stir-crazy, more than one night here will send you to the funny farm. No phone, TV, or computer. Many commenters said "where are some books to read?" But there is a great little library in town--you just have to prepare.

Overall, though, I'd go back. I'd take more of my own food next time. Lopez Island is the best--some farmers, some eccentrics, some hippies, and some rich folks-a great combination. Try the kayak tour and rent a bike.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kentonerwin
Ft. Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

I booked cottage #1 because of the reviews I had read. Everything was correct. You do not see anyone when you are there. You get a wonderful breakfast basket delivered to your cottage upon arrival and in the evenings. It's like you have your own private place in the middle of a quiet meadow. Our place was sparkling clean with a wonderful fireplace and little "kitchenette". Great bed and huge bathroom with amazing towels and amenities. Let me warn you though..there is NO T.V. or radio, which was incredibly refreshing after the initial shock . We did have our own jacuzzi outside the back door that was very well maintained and good sized. It was wonderful to sit in at night and watch the full moon rise from behind the trees. I think this is the only place to stay while on Lopez Island.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Vernon, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

I recently spent four nights at this property with two girlfriends. We decided to splurge and not camp, but instead rent a cabin.
That being said, I would recommend these cabins to couples on romantic getaways, and from reading the guest book, this appears to be their main clientele; lots of honeymooners. The cabins are very small, really cute, very clean and extremely quiet and private but are really set up for only two guests at a time, right down to the dishes and cutlery. We ended up buying extra cutlery at the island Thrift Shop so we could each have our own fork.
If you want to be alone with your partner, in a tranquil setting this would be a good choice.
My complaint would be with regards to customer service on the part of the owners. One of my friends, who made the original reservation called ahead to confirm our booking, and asked if someone would be there to meet us and give us our key and show us where we were staying as we were first time visitors to the island. The owner told her that no, he was busy and did not have time to greet every guest when they arrived. This was apparently the standard of customer service, because we never saw or interacted with anyone connected to the property during our four day stay. Each day someone would come into the cabin while we were out and do light housekeeping and leave a basket of fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice and cookies. When my friend left a note on the campground bulletin board asking for an invoice for our stay, we received a handwritten note on the kitchen table the following day outlining the charges. With the extra $25.00 charge per night for the futon the owner offered to bring in for us, this was not cheap accomodation, and I would have thought that for what we paid we could have at least been invited to pick up our key from the owner and have a quick chat about where we were staying.
If I returned to Lopez, I would consider camping in their campground. The sites are private and I heard they are one of the few places to camp that have hot showers.

• Liked — Cleanlisness, privacy, natural setting
  • Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
#2 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor House
Friday Harbor House
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Lopez Farm Cottages & Tent Camping? Share your experiences!