“Great Views but Filthy Room!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
Lopez Islander Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lopez Island
Seattle
“Great Views but Filthy Room!”
Reviewed 13 September 2007

This was my first stay on Lopez Island and I was excited to stay at the Islander. When I arrived and checked into my room I walked into the bathroom and was appalled to see that the floors in the bathroom were filthy. It looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a couple of weeks. Housekeeping also did not vacuum around the beds and we picked up candy wrappers and a penny that they missed. We didn't pick up the cheetoo crumbs that were littered around the bed, it was too disgusting! We went down to have dinner and asked to speak to someone about getting our room cleaned. They said it would be taken care of. After dinner we returned to our room to find they hadn't done anything. The next day when we checked out we walked the manager through our room showing him the nasty floors and the really disgusting sticky phone that we didn't dare use. He humored us but we could tell he didn't see what the big deal was. Do not stay here if you like to take your shoes off in your hotel room. One look at the floors and you won't dare go barefoot. To make matters worse they wouldn't give us a discount on the pricey but gross room. I will never stay here again. A B&B is a much better way to go on Lopez!

• Liked — The views were great
  • Disliked — The rooms were disgusting!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank Kelly2679

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bellingham Wa
Reviewed 14 August 2007

August 14, 2007: Four of us by boat for Lunch at the resort. A friendly young man at the dock showed us where to park (free) while dining. Best ever prime rib sandwich. Good service and attention. We will retrun again and bring friends.

Stayed August 2006
Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2007

We booked for a large family reunion almost 1 year in advance. When we got there, we were "short" one room. The gal that had helped me on the phone was not there and the other check-in staff could not find the correct rooms. The next day the gal who did the original booking found the "short" room. It was there all the time on the archaic booking system. At least she said sorry for the mix-up, the manager just wanted someone to blame.
Housekeeping was an absolute horror. We had no garbage pick-up, no towels let alone making up the beds. The maids did not speak any English, which was very inconvient. They treated my dogs like they were rabid wolves.
The main manager hated dogs ( and the dog owners) so I would not advise bringing your best four-legged friends. The old guy on the dock selling gas and groceries wanted to charge me $200 for my dogs to peek in the store (their paws went in 6" past the threshold). Never went near the store again.
The resort itself is in a state of disrepair. The pool area is so decrepited, you are fearful of roof tiles falling in on you while you swim or sunbath. The rooms are OK, but musty and could use some renovating. There was no public trash containers except the dumpsters behind the resort up on a distant hill, this was very inconvient.
The only redeeming quality of my time there was my wonderful family and the awesome weather we had. I was embarrassed by the lack of quality and hospitality from this resort and the staff. I think Lopez Island is a wonderful place to go, but find other lodging if at all possible.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — housekeeping, check-in staff, managers, and pool area
  • Stayed July 2007
3 Thank Westieluver

Travellers are raving about these Lopez Island hotels

washington
Reviewed 26 February 2007

We got the worst service that I have ever had. NO service at all, more like refused service. We went into the islander and ordered two beers. The bartender replied by saying if one of them is for him then no I will not serve you. My husband and I are 30 and 32. Its not like we are trying to sneak in and have a drink. We had been at the Galley lounge before and had drinks but in no way were we drunk, our tap was $11.00 you cant get drunk off of that! So I asked to talk to the manager, she backed up the bartender then followed it up with a lie saying that they were just closing. That was not true because my friend called to see where I was at 12:30 am from the bar that closed two hours ago. To make matters worse, the hot headed bartender who’s job is to keep the peace went over to the door as we were leaving to instigate a fight. The manager did nothing. I am a local to the island, actually fifth generation to be born and raised on Lopez and this is how I was treated! I hope those of you spending a lot of money to visit this island are not treated in the same way. My advise to you is go down the road about ½ a mile to the Galley for good food, better prices, and service!

• Liked — The entertainment
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank serioushollaback
Mukilteo
Reviewed 18 August 2006

An ideal setting - gorgeous views and walking distance to town.
Cold pool and murky hottub, but everybody was having a great time. Rooms are old, but immaculate. Desk staff, restaurant staff and housekeepers were very friendly.With shuttle to the ferry, on site bike rentals, and floatplane right there, you could get by without a car. Lots of families in the summer, but when I stayed here off season, it was very quiet. I did not think the walls were thin, but if people are out admiring the fantastic view on the huge balcony, you can hear them.
This is a great place for people who love to get outdoors to enjoy the islands hiking, biking, scenery and beaches. Don't expect luxury anywhere on Lopez, but do expect the Islander to be a great value.
Sure it could go for a yuppie rehab or become a stylish resort, but that's not Lopez.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Musty smell
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank Latitude20
Redmond, WA
Reviewed 15 August 2006

Lovely views and the proximity to the marina can't be beat, but this "resort" needs some work. Beware, the walls are paper thin and in the summer, you might have kids playing outside until 10 p.m.

Checkin time was 3 p.m. but we, along with numerous other guests, didn't get to our rooms until after 6 due to a housekeeping shortage.

• Liked — Proximity to marina and the views
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank *_Karen_AD_*
Lynnwood, WA
Reviewed 21 July 2005

Nice facility in a beautiful setting with sunset and water views to San Juan Island and the Olympics. Too bad the check-in and bar and restaurant staff is unfriendly.

• Stayed August 2003
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Deer Harbor Inn
Deer Harbor Inn
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor

Been to Lopez Islander Resort? Share your experiences!