“Makaye Harbor Inn is Magical!”
Review of MacKaye Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
MacKaye Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Lopez Island B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Makaye Harbor Inn is Magical!”
Reviewed 24 July 2006

We've just returned from an absolutely magical long weekend on Lopez Island, where we had the pleasure of staying three nights at Mackaye Harbor Inn. The island is quaint and peaceful. The rumors about friendly locals waving and smiling wherever you go are delightfully true. And if you enjoy wildlife, leisurely water sports and spectacular views, this is the place for you!

The inn is a sanctuary located on a small harbor where meandering sail boats, kayaks and sea otters enjoy the quiet waters. We found our stay to be overflowing with gracious hospitality and completely relaxing. Each morning guests are greeted with an 'upscale' continental breakfast with coffee ready nice and early for those who can't wait to get a jump on the day. Each evening when we returned from a day full of activity there was a lovely glass of port, decaf coffee and teas (and the best part) truffles to savor as you settled in for the night.

Each room is decorated and themed. We stayed in the Blue Room, which had a Scandinavian theme. Next time we plan to experience the Captains Room or the Harbor Suite that each have a private deck overlooking the water. We will also plan on staying longer so we can enjoy more of the island sports and easy access by ferry to surrounding islands in the San Juans. There is so much to see and do, be sure to give yourself at least 3 nights and take your hosts advice on when to be at the ferry terminal!

The entire experience was a retreat from the bustle of every day life and the Mackaye Harbor Inn was a delightful place to rest and restore your mind and body. We can't wait to get back!

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank Kt_Bug

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 2 August 2005

I wish I had photos available from this magical place-but perhaps it would just be best if you went there! I have stayed at the Inn and have recommended it to everyone I know. MacKaye Harbor Inn is located on the south end of the best island in the San Juan chain-Lopez Island. Lopez is an amazing place and you sense it's specialness the minute you pull up to the ferry landing. I have been going to Lopez for over 10 years and when I don't stay with friends, I stay at the Inn or at the adjacent Carriage House. Robin and Mike can provide you the history of the island, their wonderful inn, the area, as well as they make some of the best coffee and breakfasts around! They also provide kayaks and bikes for folks staying at the Inn. When I travel to Lopez-I only stay on the south end of the island and once you stay at MacKaye-so will you!

I cannot say enough about the beauty and serenity of this area or the Inn.

Go-you will be thrilled!

Kim

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 July 2005

Just wanted to say that EVERYONE should have a weekend at Mackaye Harbor Inn! (Could make a start towards world peace.)

Robin & Mike make an art of running a B&B, - the hospitality is superb, the rooms are lovely ... and they'll set the coffee pot to start when the earliest riser needs it! :-)

The breakfasts were wonderful - Robin is a great cook. Just sitting on the porch and rocking is a vacation in itself.

It was hard to leave.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 July 2005

What a wonderful place for a weekend away. It was very quiet and peaceful. The people are friendly and very accomodating. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 July 2005

My family and I spend the most fabulous 4th of July weekend ever at the Mackaye Harbor Inn. What a wonderful place to get away from it all! It is the ideal place to watch fabulous sunsets, Deer at your door steps, Bold Eagles majestically flying, but most of all, the tranquillity surrounding this place cannot be express, it must be experienced! Mike and Robin, thank you for being such wonderful hosts. You guys are great! My wife and I are looking forward to another stay at the Mackaye Harbor Inn. We can hardly wait!!

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland
Reviewed 11 July 2005

Last year, on my first trip to the Mackaye Harbor Inn, I sailed my Beachcomber-Alpha dory up to their beach, arriving too late to get into town for dinner. No matter, Mike met me on the beach with a two-hands turkey sandwich and a warm welcome. This year my wife went with me, again in the dory, and again Mike and Robin were cordial and welcoming, relaxed and gracious.

The Mackaye Harbor Inn is a revamped 19th century farmhouse tucked behind a sheltering hook at the end of a big cove on the rocky, breathing south coast of Lopez Island, the most agrarian of the San Juan Islands. They have several mooring buoys for their guests and on our most recent trip a kayak was waiting on one of the buoys for us...we just traded painters and paddled ashore, leaving our dory riding the buoy.

Robin and Mike run the Inn as if their guests were personal friends and I venture to say very many of their friends have come from among their customers. The Inn is spacious; the rooms are well appointed and many have private baths. The view from every single room is drop-dead gorgeous...you get the feeling God must have a summer house just over the hill.

Breakfasts run to wonderful homemade pasteries, fresh berries, hardboiled eggs, fresh juice, hot cereal and the sort of coffee you wish you could make at home. There is always plenty to pack up for lunch as well.

Lopez is bike-friendly and the Inn keeps plenty of bikes on hand just for the asking. Bikes and kayaks too...this really is as close to summer camp as it gets!

Mountlake Terrace, WA
Reviewed 17 October 2004

I hardly know where to begin. This lovely Bed & Breakfast looks out onto a beautiful serene bay where you can take a quite walk on the beach, grab a chair and relax to watch the seals and otters play or enjoy kayaking.
I have never found a place that is so peaceful.
Lopez Island offers many great hikes and beaches with scenery that compares to no where else.
During one of our hikes I had the privilege of seeing Orca whales, what an awesome experience.
Robin and Mike are the most gracious hosts. They know how to make their guests feel at home and comfortable. They are very knowledgable about the island and can offer advise on great place to take a bike ride or a hike.
Our room was very cozy and comfortable and very clean. And the breakfast is wonderful.
When it was time to go all I could think of is when can I come back again.
Everyone should be lucky enough to experience MacKaye Harbor Inn at least once.

• Stayed August 2005
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Orcas Hotel
Orcas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Orcas

Been to MacKaye Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!