“Great hotel - newly renovated, friendly staff, 15 mins to Seattle”

Hotel International
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Lynnwood
Duncan, Canada
“Great hotel - newly renovated, friendly staff, 15 mins to Seattle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend and really enjoyed our stay. Literally everything was perfect. The staff was really friendly and we chatted a lot about the area. They are located about 1.5 miles from the I-5 freeway and only 15 minutes from downtown Seattle. No charge for parking or ultra-speedy wifi. Complimentary breakfast included waffles, yogurt and fresh fruit. The rooms were recently renovated and the king we stayed in had a large flatscreen TV, new linens and duvet. Every nook and cranny was spotless and very clean. If you are looking for a family owned and run hotel that isn't part of some corporate chain, where you are valued as a guest and not just a number, this hotel is for you. We will return for sure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10 and grab a king room. We had 318 and it was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tdfitz
dayndrean, Manager at Hotel International, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
We are certainly glad to hear that you had a great 4th of July weekend at our hotel. In addition, thank you so much for appreciating the value of a small family run hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I spend one night at this hotel, coming back from Vancouver, Canada and before sending my son to a camp in Seattle. It is true that the outside of the hotel building is unappealing but inside is quite elegant. The staff was nice and polite. The rooms are very good size and clean. The beds are comfortable.

I would be very happy and give it 5 stars if not for the following two reasons. First I was charged $10 extra for 3rd person in the double queen room even though the room rate is already higher than one queen room. It is the very first time I was charged for such reason. All other hotels I stayed during this trip and previous trips never charge me extra. Second I really need to do laundry for my son before sending him to the camp but I was told the laundry room is open 10am to 8 pm only. I am wondering if anybody will stay in the hotel doing laundry at daytime in their trips. I consider this policy is quite inconvenience.

So if there are only two of you and you don't have to do laundry, you will like this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Washington, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My fiancé and I drove up to Lynnwood on Wednesday, June 12th for a class the following day. We didn't think to make reservations for any hotel as it was a Wednesday night. How wrong we were! All the hotels in the area were booked solid because of a graduation in the area. We were calling hotels for almost a half hour when we drove by Hotel International. It looked sketchy but we really needed a place to stay.

When we parked and walked in, we were actually kind of impressed. It wasn't 5 star but it wasn't disgusting either. We checked in and I was surprised they don't offer any kind of discount (military, AAA, anything..). But I paid for my one night in a queen bed. We went up to our room and although it smelled very funky, we were impressed that the room was decent sized and the comforter looked pretty and unique. We quickly hopped into the comfortable bed and fell asleep.

In the middle of the night, I woke up itching my wrist. I didn't think anything of it and got up to get some water. When I turned the bathroom light on, my wrist was all red with bites all over it. Bites that itched SO bad! I was half asleep and too tired to think anything else of it and fell back asleep. When I woke up, I realized I had bites all over. On my elbows, my arms, legs, neck. There were about one to three little bites in each place. I felt itchy all over and was miserable but did my best to not scratch them so they would go away.

I told the front desk manager and he just said thanks for telling us. I was confused as to how he wasn't more concerned but I was about to be late for my class. I went and the whole four hours of that class, I was itching. I texted my fiancé who said he felt itchy all over as well. I called the hotel back and asked that we have a refund as we felt it was unfair that customers have to be going through an experience like this. They told us they would call us back the next day.

They never called us back so I called them. They then told me they weren't going to refund us as we were the only people that complained and they didn't believe us. The worst part was the man's tone as he told me this. It sounded as if he were laughing as he told us we wouldn't get our money back. He then told me if I wanted, I could file a complaint with the Department of Health. I have. I've also taken pictures of my wrist with the six bites on there. I asked him if they even checked the bed and he avoided answering and said no other customers had complaints.

When owning a business, it is vitally important that you serve your customers. I am a loyal, fair customer and felt if our refund was given, all would be good. I let them know they need to check the bed.. that is very important when running a business as well. They've shrugged everything off and refused to care for their customers or take responsibility for the damage that the hotel has caused my fiancé and I. I have no allergies, no sensitivities. I've slept in many hotels before. None were as terrible as this hotel.

Bites all over, terrible customer service, being mocked? No thanks!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank CassieG521
Jong Han K, Owner at Hotel International, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Hello, Ms. Goecks

First of all, I am sorry if you felt I was not polite when we talked on the phone.

After you checked out, I checked your room(#302) and I didn't fine any trace of any bed bug. There was not a single bug nor dot of blood underneath the mattress, box spring or bed sheet.

I am glad that you filed complaint to Health Department.
Once they show up and finish inspection, I will call you and let you know the result.

Jong Han Kim
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Was on a big shopping getaway and wanted to go cheap on the accommodations so found this place to be the most economical in Lynnwood with decent reviews and thought - why not!

A short drive from the core shopping area and highway, the hotel is unappealing from the exterior, but (in a strange way) the lobby is quite elegant with a waterfall feature and classical music playing. The rest of the hotel shows its age, though.

Staff were friendly and our room was a good size. Queen bed was deceivingly nice and big, but unfortunately very soft. And there was no full-size mirror, which made it difficult when trying on all our purchases! Room amenities included a fridge, microwave, coffee maker - standard stuff. Lighting was a little dim in the room and in the bathroom where the tub/shower was, and the bathroom didn't have a fan. Walls are paper-thin too, as we could clearly hear people yakking next door into the wee hours.

Breakfast room was spacious and included the usual continental fare (eg. waffles, bread, croissants, muffins, cookies, yogurt, bananas, apples, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, tea, and cup of noodles!).

For the price we paid, it was definitely reasonable. Would we stay here again? Would have to think about it . . . bed was too soft!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The wife and I finished some shopping in Seattle, and just wanted a decent place to spend the night as we continued onto Bellingham. The hotel is located on a main road in between the I5 and HWY99, and was pretty easy to get to.
The hotel itself is connected to a Japanese restaurant that seemed rather busy for a Thursday night, but we didn’t get a chance to try it out unfortunately. Parking was ample and rather conveniently located near the front door.
The lobby was rather nicely done up – it had clearly been renovated and it was decorated quite nicely. The front desk staff was very polite, and got us, and the family in front of us, checked-in pretty quickly.

Following the room tips of other reviewers, we asked for a quieter room on the fourth floor. They placed us in a room further from the elevators as well, which was nice. It didn’t seem like we had neighbors on either side of us, so I can’t comment on noise from other units, but we didn’t notice any road noise, and we didn’t notice any hallway noise at all until late the next morning.
However, one thing that was noisy was the heater, which would kick in every 15 mins or so. You can always just turn it off entirely, but we both didn’t mind it very much so we kept it on, although if you’re a lighter sleeper this may be an issue.

The rooms themselves look a bit spruced up, but still look dated in areas. The carpet and the bathrooms are older, but overall everything was quite clean. We got a Californian King-sized bed with some new-looking sheets, which was nice. However, my wife found the bed to be too soft for her liking.
The free wifi was nice, and we both got a stable, if weak, signal. No complaints though, although we didn’t try anything other than just surfing and checking email.

The continental breakfast included the standard cereal, baked goods, coffee/juice, and fruit, with the welcome addition of a waffle iron. Even though we stayed a little past the posted breakfast time, the staff waited for us to finish up before cleaning the breakfast area.

Check-out was super fast, and polite as before. Overall a decent place, good value for the money.

Room Tip: Fourth (top) floor was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
We are glad to hear that we were a nice little addition to your shopping getaway adventure in WA. We hope to see you again in the future when you two plan to come into a town.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed with my mother for one night at the Hotel International. We drove down from Vancouver and wanted to stay in Lynnwood for a night before hitting up Seattle early in the morning. The hotel is really not much to look at form the outside but you can tell that they have tried to put in some effort to upgrade the inside cheaply. They even have a water feature in the lobby! I thought overall, the hotel was very comparable to the many Travelodge hotels. The fitness facility (which I did not use) was small and only had three cardio machines. Breakfast was again, very comparable to the Travelodge - waffle machine and bread items. No hot eggs/meat or anything like that.

We only had two small problems with our rooms. First in my mother's room, they had used a waterproof top sheet on the mattress which was very crinkly - and a bit disconcerting that they felt the need to use one of those!! I didn't have one on my bed but I found a nastier surprise in my bathroom as I noticed that there was little black hairs all along the outside of the walls and the bathtub on the floor. it was really disgusting so I put down towels so that I wouldn't have to step on the floor at all - but it made me very untrusting of the carpet!!

I often stay in budget hotels when travelling and I rarely give low marks to hotels with low prices as I feel you shouldn't expect luxury when you are paying for budget. But in this case, I couldn't get over the hairy bathroom. I think a hotel is just a place to sleep and therefore the only aspect of a room I really value is cleanliness - which the Hotel International fell short on.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
We found it very unfortunate that you felt your bathroom wasn't properly cleaned before you stepped in. We sincerely apologize. However, we are known for two things in the region: Being Clean and Good on Value. Hence, we were surprised by the comment left behind. We are looking into this issue and informed the staff that the issue has to be addressed.

Thank you.

Wish you a great summer.
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this unique hotel. It was intimate and comfortable. The bed was excellent and the room spacious and very clean. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was hearty with several choices including scramble eggs and bacon in its buffet. We were on the 4th floor facing the back, away from the street. It was quiet. Not sure about rooms facing the busy street that ran in front of the hotel. Its location was convenient to getting on and off Interstate 5 which would take you into Seattle. I would highly recommend this property and will stay again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be more quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank selwoodChicago
We are glad to hear from you. We would love to see you again when you come into Seattle area.