“Close to casino...at least...”

Village Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marysville
British Columbia
“Close to casino...at least...”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Yes, depending on traffic you can get to the casino in 5-10 minutes easily and that is probably why you are staying here, or for the outlet malls. Otherwise...as far as the property and the area are concerned, unless you are just looking for a stop after driving the I-5 for hours on end I doubt you'd want to stay here.

I tried to check in a couple hours early, no rooms were available so I didn't have a problem with that, it couldn't hurt to ask. What was unsettling was the sign said "No Vacancy" and they had no record of the booking I had made - and confirmed - several months ago. The girl at the front desk basically was going to leave me hanging, was too busy with other things to bother and maybe didn't even know how to check the booking. After the runaround and an additional staff member getting involved, the manager phoned and confirmed I did in fact have a reservation. They didn't seem thrilled, and certainly weren't terribly eager to honor the rate I'd booked at.

I returned just after the 'proper' check-in time and got the room. Nothing fancy at all but it did have a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, crappy free wi-fi (took several minutes to connect, pretty sketchy service). The air-conditioning worked, thankfully, as well as the TV. I guess what really turned me off this property were the signs all over, the 'welcome' received in the motel guide on the desk. Basically, this is a rundown property in a poor area and the owners have obviously had so much grief from past 'guests' that they have devised a system to never get screwed again. This includes (but is not limited to) pages of fines or fees if you step out of line. Check out a little late? One nights room rate charged, absolutely. Pee the bed, well that's a $150 fine. Take a facecloth? Hey, that's in the book too. If your TV isn't working, first absolutely makes sure you follow the instructions on the wall before calling front desk or else...

Don't worry about missing that check-out because they do call each and every guest prior to that time to ensure they aren't a minute late...or else. When I did check out the the guest in front of me was panicking as his watch said 11:01 and it looked like he might have to pay for an additional night...

I stayed to see a concert at the casino and as for online bookings, this place was the cheapest and I knew that. I did know what I was in for based on the other reviews and since I was going solo I was more than happy to save at least $60 per night so I can not fault the motel at all in that department.

If in town for another show - solo - would maybe stay again though now I realize if you have to drive anyway, what's an extra 10 minutes in the car for a better room in a better area...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ydnar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I went back to this hotel after my first stay a year ago and I was very impressed by this hotel's cleanliness. Remodeled bathroom was very nice and the fresh bed was very comfortable to sleep in. I can see this hotel's new look all around.

Room Tip: King suite Jacuzzi room was good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was not impressed with this motel when I stayed there - the breakfast was very mediocre and the toilet didn't want to flush. But it was afterward that I was really appalled by the poor customer service. I know it is my responsibility to keep track of my belongings but sometimes something gets left behind. I left a pair of shoes and was told they'd only be kept a month and they refused to ship them (even if I paid the postage). Of course, if I lived close I wouldn't be staying in a motel! I did manage to get by there again, after being told by the owner to come by any time, but was told by the girl at the front desk that she couldn't give me the shoes on a Sunday. This had not been mentioned by the owner. When I asked again if they could send them if I paid the postage, since I had already tried to do as they had asked, I was told by the husband and wife owners that this was simply not an option. The woman, the same one who had assured me that I could come by any time, was extremely rude and loud.

Contrast this with the time my granddaughter left her bathing suit at the lovely Paintbrush Inn in Thermopolis, WY. They very nicely shipped it and I paid the postage. No questions asked, no balking or yelling. They were nothing but polite and pleasant. I'm going to go now and put in a positive review for the Paintbrush Inn. Sometimes we forget to do that. And I'm replacing the shoes, which I particularly need because I have problems with my feet. The rude owners of the Village Inn can keep or sell the ones I left, whatever suits their purposes. But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST ever staying there. The Village Inn Restaurant, which I understand is under different ownership, is nice, but avoid the motel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle C
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is the one of the worst hotels ever. How can you have a 48 hour return policy when you phone the day before and cancel 2 hours later? This place is shabby, it's worth maybe 5o bucks a night, and don't get me started on their customer service. The breakfast is a joke, nothing but carbs and sugar. Time to upgrade your amenities, or lower your rates, you are not worth the stay. Any port in a storm........ Keep driving!

Room Tip: Don't choose any. Traffic from I-5 on one side, drunks and trains on the other
Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Janice H
Peyton, Colorado
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel should be rated a 1 star at best. Very old, carpet needs replacing, very noisy. Bed was not at all comfortable. This hotel is not in a great location, didn't want to walk to the car from the hotel for fear of what might be around the next corner. Left as soon as we made it through the night. Overall, big disappointment. Didn't stay for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie B
Wenatchee, Washington, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I booked a room at this hotel by mistake and cancelled my reservation within 7 minutes. I was still charged $110.00. I requested to have this fee waived as a courtesy and was denied. 7 MINUTES!!!!! With this kind of service, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Michelle W
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Firstly, the picture on most hotel websites of the building must be taken from the back parking lot....it is quite deceiving as to what the hotel actually looks like when you pull up... And that isn't a good thing!! The motel is old and tired and our room had a funny smell (the car deodorizers hanging of the back of the toilet didn't help, nice try). The bed was comfortable enough but the room is pretty dark...we were on the first floor and if we opened the curtain the road was right there..people walking by..etc. We aren't sure what continent the continental breakfast came from...but for 40+ rooms they have one two-slice toaster and there was one piece of white bread and half a bagel for toasting so I guess that's why. Coffee was lukewarm and only 1/2 pot there. Two types of cereal, some kind of juice...needless to say we went out for breakfast. We wouldn't stay there again and I'll be sure to check Trip-Advisor next time I make a booking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jazzyjaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marysville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville
Best Western Cascadia Inn
Quality Inn Arlington
Quality Inn Arlington
#4 of 5 in Arlington

Been to Village Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!