“Beautiful place to stay.”
Review of Freestone Inn

Freestone Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Mazama B&B and Inns
Spokane, Washington, United States
“Beautiful place to stay.”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We spent two nights here and loved the place. We had a gorgeous room overlooking the lake. We got a special through Living Social. Wonderful food in the restaurant! Would recommend this lodge highly anyone traveling over the North Cascades as well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Becky L,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and most importantly, for staying with us. We are pleased that you loved your room and dining experience, and appreciate your recommending the Freestone Inn to your friends. Look forward to seeing you again.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Bonn, Germany
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Me and my brother stayed one night in the Freestone Inn and it was just excellent.
Really nice+kind welcoming. We were able to choose between a room at the ground or the first floor. Since we really like balkonies and a "higher view" we chose a room on the first floor.
When we came in the room we were just stunned. Well, the room looked like on the fotos of the website, but to be there in real made us stunned. Beautiful big room with a big bathroom, two beds and a fireplace (there's a switch for onn/off). The room was as described by the hotel (also the facilities).
There is a bad tv-received signal, but if you choose this hotel I think it is not because you want to spend the day in your room watching tv.
The room includes a big bathroom with a shower AND a bathtub. Everything absolutely clean (and a beautiful design).
Getting up in the morning with a beautiful see-sight and clear mountain-air is fabulous!
The included little breakfast was also very good. Not a big selection, but absolutely enough. Mainly cereal and fresh fruits.
Right across the hotel is Jack's Hut. You can go there have a coffee or a drink, buy souveniers or just ask for some hints for an excursion (by foot/ bike or car).
If you choose this hotel you have to know that there isn't a 24hour reception, they have fixed times.
The stuff was always very friendly and helpful.
The room and the rest of the hotel was permanently clean.

All in all I absolutely recomend this hotel. It has a higher price, but it is so worth it! One of the most beautiful hotels we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cortravels
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Cortravels,

Thanks so much for your generous and factual review of our property. We are glad that you chose the Freestone Inn for your visit to Mazama. We will convey to our staff your thoughts regarding their service and the cleanliness of the hotel. I agree, for the money spent the rooms here are a great value. TV reception is challenging here but we keep trying our best to optimize it - and your point is perfect, there is definitely more to see outside! We hope to see you again should your travels bring you to this area in the future.

Snohomish, Washington
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I've been here on a romantic getaway and this time it was with the family. Love this place. A nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the Seattle area. Beds are comfy. Rooms clean and very nice. Views from windows were gorgeous. (Rooms 9 and 19)

Dinners are good - a bit eclectic. Not too many vegetarian options, but I did fine. Continental breakfast (complimentary) was good. Went over very well with the kids.

Staff was GREAT. ..as always. We will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs in the lodge are quieter. Caters more to adults and older kids as opposed to young ki...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tawnarae
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear tawnarae,

Thank you for your review! We were glad to welcome you back. I'm glad to learn that you enjoyed your rooms and a getaway to the mountains. I will extend your compliments to our team, thank you for your acknowledgement.

Please inquire with your server the next time you come to dine, and depending on what we have prepped we can often make an alternate vegetarian dish. Also, we're glad to hear you liked the breakfast, we have been working on improving it while maintaining it as a free breakfast for main lodge guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We rented a cabin over New Years and had the most wonderful stay. Everything was much more than we anticipated. Our cabin was so well kept and well stocked, we were able to make many of our own meals. The restaurant was top notch and very comfortable without being pretentious (great wine list!!). They had a great shop to rent equipment for activities in the snow. We tried snow shoeing for the first time and loved it. Over all we found it our stay very relaxing and comfortable. Everyone was very friendly. Already planning a trip back in March! Thanks Freestone...

Room Tip: We were lucky and had cabin 12, 1 room and hide-a-bed. I guess the cabins are a bit larger as the c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank OrchidBear
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear OrchidBear,

It's great to learn that you enjoyed your stay in the cabin and even tried snowshoeing for the first time. I'm also glad that in addition to cooking your own food you treated yourselves to a food & wine experience in our dining room. We hope to see you back in March, when perhaps you can try some Nordic skiing on the fabulous MVSTA trail system.

Spokane
Reviewed 27 January 2014

After a 10 year hiatus, it was great to back in Mazama and see that the Freestone is the same wonderful place we remember from a decade ago. We love the Freestone as a getaway (so who cares about internet, which is available, and the number of TV channels). I don't know about some of the other reviews here, but our experience--customer service, food, ambiance--were all excellent in all respects. Breakfast is simple but very adequate and tasty (and included in the room rate), they don't serve lunch in the dining room anymore (but lunch at the Mazama Store was great), and our dinners were to die for (especially the winemaker's dinner, a fabulous birthday splurge!). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear tculb3,

It was great to host you here for your birthday. I'm so glad you joined us for the winemakers dinner and it seemed like you enjoyed getting to know the other Spokane couple. Thank you for your kind review. Just FYI, we do serve lunch every day here at the Freestone, at our Jack's Hut activity center. Hope to see you back for one of our upcoming winemakers dinners or for just a simple getaway. Hope to see you soon!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We are just home from four amazing days in the Methow Valley. Our lodging in a pet-friendly cabin at the Freestone Inn was the perfect mix of rustic in a beautiful and peaceful setting. However, the manager who "welcomed" us should be fired. We arrived just after 4 p.m. Check in is 3pm. The woman at the front desk kindly apologized that the cabin was not yet ready and asked us to go to Jack's Hut to relax and wait for our cabin. She told us they would be sure to "make it up to us" for the inconvenience. No problem. However, at 5:30 the cabin still was not ready and Jack's was closing. We were sent back to the lodge and told the bartender would give us free drinks. When we arrived at lodge, I chose to express my frustration to the manager. He defensively said it was a busy day for them, there was no bartender at the lodge (ever) and did not know why we were told we would receive free drinks. I told him I thought an apology would be a nice way to acknowledge our frustration with the past 90+ minutes (after an 8 hour drive) and he told me "I am sorry you feel that way." WHAT?!?! I was livid and said- so you cannot even take responsibility for the inconvenience of a late check in? He looked at me again and repeated "I am sorry you feel this way."
Just before 6pm we were told the cabin was ready - but then we had to wait for the cleaning people to leave when we arrived. Too exhausted to leave the Inn to go elsewhere for dinner that night, we returned to the lodge for dinner and, to our surprise, our glasses of wine were comped. But in my mind, this does not make up for the way the manager handled the situation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pdxorlisa
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Pdxorlisa,

Thank you for your review of the Freestone Inn. We are sorry to learn that you were dissatisfied with some aspects of your stay. Some of us recall our interactions with you throughout your stay, and despite our best efforts to make you happy, your mood did not appear to alter.

We had apologized for not having your unit ready for occupancy by our published 3PM check in time. Unfortunately, you have chosen to portray the chain of events rather differently than how they occurred. I was working with some other guests in our restaurant as you were waiting, and after I was finished with them, you approached and chose to verbally lambaste me in an aggressive manner with the various aspects of your dissatisfaction (none of which I had any prior knowledge of). Startled, I apologized immediately and said I would confirm the drink offer and get to work on finding out about your cabin. We were able to sort things out and get you into your cabin within 10 minutes and comped all of your drinks in the restaurant that night as you were promised.

Frankly, there's nothing to defend on our part, but apologize we will - we failed to have your cabin ready on time and we admit that. If I hadn't been surprised by a haughty verbal assault I might have been more on my game to give a more thorough explanation and extended apology. However, I'm only human. Again, we appreciate your comments and also appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My family has been returning to the Wilson Ranch/Freestone Inn after our first visit in 2002, when our daughter was 5 years old. We've always stayed in the cabins which are managed by the Freestone Inn. I don't know how many time we've returned; we've lost track. For all of us the property is a mainstay, its reliable, it is a place we count on for rest and relaxation to get away from the demands of long commutes and earning a living. The management and ownership has changed hands during this period, and through this I credit the parties involved, past and present, for maintaining a private, low-key, highly comfortable vibe. Intended or not, it has suited this "Subaru" family.
The cabins are spaced well enough apart to be private. The front door opens to an entry separated by a door to the main cabin (this is in the two bedroom cabin--not sure how it is in the other cabins). This is great for winter time when you have boots and skis to haul in. There is second door to the deck which is furnished with a couple of Adirondack chairs and a propane grill. The kitchen is small, oven is small, but fine for most mini meals to be cooked. That said, the fridges are more like dorm fridges, and the freezer is big enough for an ice tray. The six-chair dining room table is family-central for us. The gas fireplace is wonderful in the winter months.
In the summer we love the pool area. The setting is wonderful with the evergreens in the background. I love what the new owners have done with Jack's Hut. Snacks, beverages, beer, wine. Smart. In the summer they rent out mountain bikes and can advise you, depending on your ambition, of the most suitable trails around. Plenty of places to walk, take pictures and enjoy the natural beauty. Winter time---XCountry skiing is fantastic---time it right.
The restaurant is pricey, but we usually have a meal there at least once during our visit. We've spent a couple of Thanksgivings at the property and one Christmas. The restaurant is a lovely, cozy place in these seasons. In the summer the views to the lake from the restaurant are beautiful. Always the food has been delicious.
We don't watch t.v. while we're here so I can't report on the reception. The wi-fi in the cabins is spotty at best and is not something you can rely on. Walk over to the Inn and hang out in the library area or in front of the beautiful rock fireplace. Reception is better there.
With all the chicken noodle soup goodness of the place, there are a few cons. The beds and the bedding in the cabins are due for a change. Toss the velour blankets! The living room furnishings are comfortable, but not all cabins have the same comfort factor I think because the sofas are aging. (Still, in all of the cabins we’ve stayed I like that the furniture is geared to relaxation and are not stiff and uncomfortable. )
I mentioned we've been coming here for years. We've probably become complacent in our expectations. The pricing structure of the cabins hasn't changed much (but the economy has). Honestly, it is hard to put a price on every experience. If you're looking for granite countertops, big bathtubs, luxury shampoos and soaps to enhance the sense that you’re money's worth, you won't find it in the cabins. There is no housekeeping in the cabins during your stay, but many times we have been visited with offers for clean towels.
If you're looking for personal recognition that you've spent $$$ for the stay you won't get that either. This an understated, un-obsequious place, but it’s warm, and in my experience there are not many places in the area where you can enjoy these accommodations in this type of setting.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kade T
Kerry K, Owner at Freestone Inn, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Kade T,

It is great to hear that you continue to come back to the Freestone for rest and relaxation year after year. I appreciate your thorough, thoughtful and accurate review of our cabins. I really agree with you about the need to upgrade the cabin bedding and will tell you that this is something that we are working on. We strive to provide good value combined with a relaxing environment, access to exhilarating recreation and quality food and lodging, and will use your comments to help improve our place.

It sounds like the Freestone suits your family well, and we hope to have the honor of continuing the tradition of hosting your stays into the future.

Kerry Kozuki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mazama
Chewuch Inn & Cabins
#3 of 7 in Winthrop
Mt Gardner Inn
Mt Gardner Inn
#1 of 11 in Winthrop

Been to Freestone Inn? Share your experiences!