“Enjoyable stay, restaurant still not ready.”
Review of Ocean Crest Resort

Ocean Crest Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Moclips
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family and I and our dogs just returned from spending the 4th of July at the Ocean Crest. We've spent a lot of time on and off on the Washington Coast including a previous stay at the Ocean Crest eight years ago. They have clearly been busy, not only rebuilding the restaurant, but updating the rooms as well. Our room had new carpet, was extremely clean and had a very comfortable bed. The staff were wonderful and we had a great time. Knowing the area, you can't expect luxury on the Washington Coast. However, this place is very good, with plenty of amenities and reasonable rates. We were disappointed the restaurant wasn't ready. When we made our advance booking, we were told the restaurant would be open, and we were looking forward to dining there again. We were disappointed that wasn't an option. We'll be back there again in the future and by the looks of the work being done, the new restaurant looks very promising.

Room Tip: The lower rooms are pet friendly. The offer the best pet rate around. A great place for pooches.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank cougski

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I hate writing a bad review because I know small businesses are at the mercy of reviews. But I also know how much reviews help me when deciding whether or not to stay somewhere. It's too difficult to know what a place is like from a website designed to focus only on the pretty parts.

I was disappointed in Ocean Crest Resort. I was expecting so much more based on their website and reviews. The room I stayed in was incredibly out dated. It felt like it had not been updated since the 70s. The lights in the room were fluorescent, which gave a weird hospital vibe to everything. The bedding was the kind where you don't really want to touch it - bad polyester spread, threadbare sheets and a synthetic feeling blanket. The bathrooms were one notch up from kind you get at a campsite. The towels were dingy white from use and the bath towels were so small they barely covered my bum when wrapped around me. I kept my flip flops on at all times because the carpet felt damp and the linoleum in the bathroom felt sticky. I walked into the room upon arrival and felt sad. That's the only way to describe it. Sad. It's unfortunate, because at a place like the NW coast, where it's often rainy and cold, you need to feel comfortable cozying up in your room. There is no main lodge or lobby area at Ocean Crest - and nothing really in MoClips - so if your room is awful, it's a bummer.

Having said that, there were a few good things about Ocean Crest. The staff was very nice and friendly. They screwed up my reservation (we were supposed to be in a two bedroom suite) but were so nice about it and apologetic, that it was impossible to be upset about the mistake. The restaurant was supposed to be open by Spring 2014 but was not open yet. However, I peaked through the windows and it looks amazing. Great views and quite nice looking. The boardwalk down to the beach is charming. The pool, sauna and hot tub are nice. I got the feeling there is a newer section of rooms, closer to the restaurant, so perhaps the rooms are better there? If that's the case, just make sure you ask if the room they are going to put you in is in the new or old part of the resort. Do not book a room in the older part.

Since there is no cell reception in the area, having a stronger wifi would be very much appreciated.

My last comment would be that I would not call this a resort. I don't know what officially qualifies it as a resort, but if I were describing this to someone I would say it's a retro motel on a nice stretch of beach. Nice staff. Limited amenities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Jenocide007
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We were pleased overall with our stay here. Many positives: great view, comfy bed, good coffee in room, nice staff and beautiful hanging baskets to brighten things up. There were a few repair issues, one which we mentioned to staff that they put on their list of things to attend to. We did not take advantage of the spa, sadly. Because it is "dog friendly" we heard a little yapper for an hour or more late in the evening, we'll after bedtime. Must not have had owner in the room at the time. We are sorry the restaurant was not open yet and look forward to trying it when we are through Moclips again. Overall, I think it was a fine place to stay, perhaps a little bit overpriced in comparison to other similar properties?.....still nice.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flowerstoo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed in Ocean Shores the night before and were looking to head home. Then we drove past this place on a drive and decided to stop and take a look at the rooms, next thing you know, we are staying another night on the coast. I feel in love with the view and the rooms at least the one we had was recently updated and we loved it!! Staff was so friendly and helpful couldn't have asked for anything better. WE WILL BE RETURNING!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traci L
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hopelessly below average. Back in the day I'm sure this was a deluxe resort - but this is 2014. Come on, it's well past time to rip up the 1970's indoor outdoor carpeting that's stained beyond recognition and replace it with vinyl plank flooring that's pet and kid friendly - but doesn't retain stains and odors. Wood paneling looked nice in the Brady's home - but that was 1972. If you can't replace it - at least paint it. Appliances that are older than adult offspring probably need to go. Miserably uncomfortable sofas and mattresses need to be upgraded. 19" televisions from the 1990's - come on. Even 32" flat panels can be found for under $400. And the noise! There is little insulation between floors. God help you if the renters upstairs have little kids running back and forth.

We had a two night reservation but checked out after one. It's just a sad, old depressing resort. No room improvements had been made in decades - literally. It's just - creepy. The prices are outrageous for such an environment. These are $65 per night rooms - max.

Room Tip: Find a good room elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dtacoma
TheCulinaryMadman, Owner at Ocean Crest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent trip to the Washington Coast. Ocean Crest Resort was purchased by my Grandparents in 1953, when it only had 4 cabins. We now have 45 rooms that were added on at various times. If you are looking for a Sleek, Modern property, you will not find it here. We do offer quaint, clean rooms in 23 different room types.

The room that you stayed in was formerly my Great Grandmother's home and is currently one of our most requested rooms.

The carpeting that you write about is a commercial interior carpet that was installed in the late 1990's/ early 2000's. I don't mind critique, but let's be fair and honest. We have our carpets professionally cleaned twice per year. We agree that the carpet is in need of change and that is scheduled for late May/ early June. We just heard from the wholesaler today that there is a 1 week delay from the factory and we are trying to coordinate the new time frame with the installers.

I am really surprised that you were put off by the wood paneling since you booked your reservations online and the pictures clearly show the wood paneling.

The appliances are not older than adult offspring, while colorful writing it simply is not true. The appliances were replaced within the last 5 years. While they are not brand new, we would put too much strain on the environment if we sent functional appliances to the landfill from our 45 rooms simply because the shine has worn off.

You are absolutely correct that a 19" CRT TV does not belong in that room. This comment was a surprise to me because we put a 35" Flat Panel TV in the room. I am checking with my staff to see who changed it and will make sure that it gets corrected promptly.

I am not certain why you didn't make your concerns known to us upon check-in, we could have seen if one of our other room types would have been more to your liking. Again, we have made many improvements all over the resort.

We hope we can serve you again.

Jess Owen

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I am a 59 year old Washington resident and have been coming to the Pacific Beaches since I was 2 months old. I have stayed in the Hotels and Motels from Ocean Shores to Moclips and Have been doing so for 40 years as well as camping all along the beaches. When we found The Ocean Crest Resort on the 4th of July in the year 2000 we have stayed there every year since. We are always treated like we are the only people staying there. We have even had our Christmas at the Crest and there was never a question when we wanted to put lights out on the deck and have a tree in the room. I have never had to ask twice for anything for my room and have enjoyed the hospitality shown us at the Recreation Center. My wife and I have Jack Russell Terriers that we treat as our kids and they also enjoy their stays at the Crest. We normally stay in the Duplex units located just North of the main hotel. These rooms are AMAZING they have really nice beach Views are very quiet and roomy.

Room Tip: If the Duplex units are available try them. They are just like being at home.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Joe and Debby O
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We just got back home from another wonderful three days at OCR, this time for our 15th anniversary. We stayed in 604, a one-bedroom with full kitchen and mutt friendly. The view of the ocean, while not the 180 degrees that room 403 has, was quite astounding. There is a view of the south ravine where you can see that the tree doctor made some exacting trims to enhance the view while still leaving the trees healthy. That is attention to detail there folks. This will be a great room in the summer because the trees will shade the deck without obstructing the great view of the surf.

The room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was heaven to sleep on and the shower had lots of hot water and good flow. Of course everything was spic and span, not a crumb or speck of dust to be found. The room smelled clean. By that, I mean you could not tell that this was a room that had hosted pets for years. At OCR pet friendly doesn't mean they will put you in the stinker room. You would never know pets were staying there unless you brought one (or three.)

Not knowing what a full kitchen included, we over packed. We didn't have to pull out anything. All I used of what we brought was just my favorite Tramontina pans and spatula, just because I like to cook with them. OCR supplies dinnerware and cutlery for four and just about any gadget that you need to cook. Pans, pots, colander, cheese grater, spaghetti spoon, good knives... it's not going to be like an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen while you're cooking.

WiFi is great in this room thanks to a repeater that they setup outside the office. I showed 3.7/.7Mb/s which is what you would get with mid-range DSL. Totally acceptable.

Ryan was in the office Sunday and allowed us a private meeting with Mr. Kitty. He had a new catnip toy and a joyful playtime was had by all. Don't worry about your car at night, I spied Mr. Kitty keeping a close watch on the lot into the wee hours.

We took a quick tour of the spa this time. It's like a mini Y there! Great pool and hot tub. Nice modern weight room and, like everything at OCR, clean. Too bad the masseuse was booked up during our stay, we'll know next time to schedule in advance.

All in all a very relaxing and enjoyable stay that made our anniversary Very special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tiffany_Hamelin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moclips
Hi-Tide Ocean Beach Resort
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
#7 of 14 in Ocean Shores

Been to Ocean Crest Resort? Share your experiences!