“The odor ruined the whole trip”

Best Western Plus Skagit Valley Inn and Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Federal Way, Washington
“The odor ruined the whole trip”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My bf and I went up for the Tulip Festival. We got the room from Priceline, so we paid $69. I was excited since it had been rated number one on here. I realized when I got there that I had stayed there before and that the ppol and hot tub were next door at the health club, which is a disappointment.

When we checked in, they didn't mention anything about the breakfast or pool .They put us in a pet room although we didn't have a pet. I got in the room and the smell was unbelievable. It smelled like mushrooms, just a damp, dark, wet, gross smell. The room had two queens so I asked if we could be switched to a king room, but they said they were totally booked.
The room itself was clean, the bed was very comfy but I couldn't relax or enjoy it one bit because the odor was so awful. Since we had come up for an anniversary date, it wasn't very conducive to romance. There were dogs barking all night as well.
The breakfast buffet was very crowded, food was the usual cheap hotel breakfast, filling, good but not great. The staff worked very hard to keep up with the crowd. I was impressed with their effort.
When we checked out they told us they would have to inspect the room. I asked why and they said because of the pet. I found that quite insulting since I had no pet and the room smelled so bad. Based on the smell of the room, I would not go back. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
BWCTI-GM, Manager at Best Western Plus Skagit Valley Inn and Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 April 2010
We take great pride at the CottonTree ensuring guests get more than they expect. It was very disappointing to see this review and hear that this stay was ruined by an odor in the room. Our guest's satisfaction is our #1 priority at this hotel. We have since addressed the issue of the odor in the room and we have been in contact with this guest. She is happy with the outcome of our conversation and has said she will come back and stay with us again.

Our outdoor heated pool is open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day Weekend. However, we are able to offer all of our guest's 18 and older free access to the Riverside Health Club adjacent to our hotel. They are open until 10pm on weekdays and 7pm on the weekends. They offer a full gym, pool, hot tub, and sauna.

We are always open to suggestions on ways to improve our breakfast. Guest feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you again, for giving us another opportunity to exceed your expectations!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Oregon
Reviewed 17 March 2010

The staff was very friendly. Room and bathroom were immaculate. We had a refrig. and microwave. The breakfast was great. Location is very convenient to the freeway as well as shopping and restaurants. We walked to dinner. They have pet friendly rooms and it is walking distance to Petco.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Stayed here on the way down to a seahawks game. It was easy to find, but when we pulled in, the place looked kind of old and dirty-we were worried. Don't let the outside fool you! Inside, this place is well cared for, and the rooms are spacious and impeccably clean. I was blown away by the service. The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful, and there was a guy working near the lobby who ran to get the door as soon as I was headed outside. Our stay included a fitness pass for the place next door, which was well equipped. The breakfast was excellent, and there was an attendant there who was kindly helping anyone who didn't know how to use the wafflemaker, etc...overall best hotel I have stayed at in a long time,.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
North Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 23 November 2009

My friend and I booked this hotel since it's close to the Seattle Outlets and shopping in Burlington. The hotel was super clean, huge room with big comfy beds. The room had a microwave & mini fridge. The rate includes a full breakfast- eggs, bacon, waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal, etc.
Amazing deal, great location, and helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We spent a Saturday night at this motel and did not have any grand expectations. In my mind this type of accomodation is typically 3 star so am rating it based on that. We wanted a decent clean comfortable room for the night and thats what we got.

Four of us stayed here Nov 14th for the one night and managed to get adjoining rooms.

Check In / Reception:
The check in was fast and very friendly.

Rooms:
The rooms were spacious with 2 queen size beds in each room. Couple of luggage racks, ironing board and iron, small table to sit at with two chairs, desk and chair area.
There are two bathroom sinks also which is handy.
Small fridge - microwave off to one side and on one wall there is a long countertop with a small kitchen style sink. Very practical.
Lots of surfaces to put your bags and such without having to set everything on the floor. (have been taught its a bad idea while travelling no matter how many stars the resort or hotel has to leave luggage and bags on the floors anywhere)
Anyway, the carpets seemed to be clean in the units and the common areas and very wide hallways.
The heating system was really efficient,
Windows opened to allow an air exchange but would recommend closing them at night as there is a train track nearby.
Only drawback was it is near a train track by a crossing so the train has to blow its whistle - this happened about 5 times during the night. With the window closed you could hardly hear it.

Beds:
Comfortable with very soft pillows and nice linens.

Once we got into our rooms we realized there were no proper drinking glasses - only plastic or paper for the coffee and such so I called the front desk and asked if they could supply us with wine glasses and a couple of other drinking glasses. I had to get them from the front desk but at least they could provide them.

Internet / Business station:
There were two stations set up with two computers in the main lobby for guest use. Non guests have to pay $5 per use. The computers were fast.

Breakfast:
Apparently the breakfast used to be better in the past and has deteriorated somewhat according to one of our group who stays here often with her family. On the Sunday morning we were there the guests seemed to be enjoying the breakfast fare. For our stay breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage, waffle making station with whipped topping and strawberries in sauce, bagels, muffins assorted pastries, toast station, hashbrowns, yoghurts, fruit cups, juices, teas, milk, coffee. It was more than I expected - thought it was going to be a basic continental breakfast. I overheard an american couple talking to each other about how great the breakfast was so there are some folks impressed with it. I am still trying to comprehend biscuits and the white gravy so please take my review from the source ! ! I enjoyed what I ate and the coffee was decent.
One thing I would like to comment on as a negative is that they only have ONE operational luggage cart for guests to use and when we were checking out some inconsiderate - thoughtless guest had that cart in their room for at least an hour. Very selfish. Would help if Cottontree had a couple more racks.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Stay away from this place, its a trucker and low stop and those who are too cheap for something better.

Next town ,right next is Town of Burlington.

Burlington has Hampton Suites and The Marriot Fairfield. Pick those, you'll thank me

The mattresses are Cl-UMPY and if you get a room with two queens, one will have springs poking you and the other will be a cheap knock off Kmart pillow top.

The rooms are great for big Families since the room are huge. I really wanted to like this hotel. The Room is ok and very clean, nice bed sheets and Pillows. The Bathroom I would considered as a nice bathroom with good soft towels. Sadly , as soon as you leave your room, its a sad looking place of 1970's with yellow bright brass ceiling lights with missing security cameras with empty steel security boxes that once housed their cameras.

The Grave-yard shift lady was awesome, but the day shift and evening staff lack class and Hospitality skills.

In teh morning , they exhaust all their kitchen fumes into all the rooms, all the floors and all the hallways so you would leave with a full stomach before departing.

Best Western Cotton tree Inn Conference Center in Mt Vernon is a Motor Inn, not a hotel nor a Motel. its a 1 class, makes the Hampton Suites look like a 5 class hotel.

Best Western on Name your price on Priceline class 2 bid $56 and you'll get it

for Hampton Suites and Marriot Fairfield, bid hotel class 2.5 and bid $69 on Priceline.

Personally, i will never do another Best Western in small towns. especially this place. Not good soundproofing between walls and i was on the third floor.

Great Bathroom and very clean.

The customer service, they lack skills and full of shaggy carpets everywhere that hasn't been replaced from the 1970's. The place is a old country Motor Inn.

Took my wife for Casino at the Skagitt-Casino and we did some shopping near by, will never stop at this Best Western. will stick with Marriots or Hilton class hotels and their suites like the Hampton Suites.

I really don't know why people would put such positive reviews. I guess Jerry Springer type people .

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MalcolmSuperstar
The NW
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Was greeted by Barbara who got me checked in quickly and got me driving directions to a place where family was meeting. She made me feel right at home. The fridge woke me up when it would cycle on so I had to unplug it but it was still a good bed and a huge room. Everything was spotless too! Breakfast was great. They had eggs, sausages, biscuits and sausage gravy, waffles, muffins, bagels, juices, cereals, pastries, fruit and much more. This was much better than a continental breakfast. Staff was great and friendly. Used my AAA card and got a great deal.
It is walking distance to restaurants. Close to a bowling alley and combination Chinese restaurant! I didn't make it there but I'll bet it was good. Safeway and a mini mall is very close by. Maybe three blocks away so yes, if you're lazy, it's probably too far but if you need a short walk, it's perfect. REAL CLOSE TO A LIQUOR STORE TOO! Now that is within walking distance easily!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Days Inn Mt. Vernon
#5 of 5 in Mount Vernon
Candlewood Suites Burlington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington

Been to Best Western Plus Skagit Valley Inn and Convention Center? Share your experiences!