“Great tour of a GREAT company!”

Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Mukilteo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located approximately 25 miles north of Seattle, The Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour is the only public tour of a commercial jet assembly plant in North America. Explore the interactive exhibits and displays in our 28,000-square-foot Aviation Center Gallery; then take a 90-minute tour of the Boeing plant where you can watch 747s, 777s, or 787 Dreamliners being assembled right before your eyes. There is a minimum height requirement of 4 feet (122 cm) for children participating in the Boeing Tour. To avoid disappointment please make sure to check height before purchasing tickets. This restriction is strictly enforced. ADA accessible tours are offered twice daily. Call in advance to ensure proper accommodations. In the Future of Flight Aviation Center Gallery, the Family Zone is home to a number of different activities, all designed around a theme of aircraft manufacturing and assembly. Activity carts let visitors build a simple aircraft model, or use our Lego (and Lego-compatible) pieces to express new ideas about aircraft design. A kid-sized airport and aircraft allow future pilots of all ages to practice their take-offs and landings. Currently, the Family Zone is also home to a highly engaging, hands-on nanotechnology exhibit, and a Bernoulli Table, an exciting interactive experience that teaches the relationship between the velocity of air and the pressure it exerts. Coloring and reading activities are also available, and drop-ins are welcome. Admission is free for ticket holders and for Institute of Flight members.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a MUST SEE tour for anyone visiting the Seattle-Everett area. Book online to be sure to get your ticket. Also, visit the photo booth to get your FREE photo with a choice of backgrounds from the tour. The photo will be emailed to you and/or your friends.

1  Thank Dale H
SeattleSandy, Public Relations Manager at Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for visiting us from Oregon and thanks for reminding people to book ahead online. This time of year tours sell out quickly so in order to avoid disappointment, people should book ahead either online or at the call center 1-800-464-1476.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Boeing Tour is widely advertised as a "bring your camera"-type experience. This is positively misleading. Although you can freely take photos in the separate museum area, the actual factory tour, which is the jewel of this experience, is heavily restricted so far as cameras, cell phones, backpacks, etc. are concerned. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind putting all of my banned possessions in a locker, not at all, but they sort of give you the idea in their internet ads that cameras are welcome. That's the impression I took away. I was wrong. I was so confused there that I had to make three trips back to the locker area, until I was sufficiently denuded of all my pro-scripted accessories.

Okay...enough beating a dead horse.

The Boeing factory complex (on the tour) was one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen. This is the Queen Mother of American industry, ingenuity and success. If there be a cathedral to the human brain, it is Boeing. Just think what it requires to engineer and construct a plane that can safely and quickly fly hundreds of people from Dallas Texas, over the North Pole, to Beijing China, for little over a thousand dollars coach per passenger? Boeing is the incarnation of America's best minds. There are a lot of snarky comments on this board about the tour being a lackluster experience. Well, if you are not moved by this factory, you will not be moved by anything. Imagine multiple gleaming-white 747's all in a neat row inside the world's largest building? And what about those new Dreamliners? God bless Boeing and all his people that labor on these magnificent planes. No better paradigm of all that is great about America exists. I am proud to live in a country where such an achievement is possible. I have traveled all over this world, with my wife, in comfort, even in coach seats, and I have always safely returned, to plan another trip, and I thank Boeing for making these travels possible. We live in a sarcastic world with an abysmal national economy currently. What better symbol of hope and excitement for the future is there, than watching, up close, the construction of a beautiful 747?

3  Thank David K
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Allow 3 days to see this museum. W liked all of it. The simulators were a lot of fun even for a 62 year old.

1  Thank Frank A
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We purchased our 9am tickets ahead of time in order to beat the busloads of tourists coming in with organized groups. We entered when they opened at 8:30am and had plenty of time to peruse the gallery and shops and to figure out how to rent a locker to put our purse/wallet in. The tour was great. It was disappointing not to be able to get a close up look at production but it was interesting nonetheless. (You are basically viewing the assembly line from above.) We learned a lot about Boeing, the assembly process and the difference between the planes.

Be sure to buy your tickets ahead of time! We saw a couple of folks who waited for the day of their visit to buy tickets and who were turned away because the tours were full!

1  Thank Linda4490
SeattleSandy, Public Relations Manager at Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thanks for visiting us from California and thanks for the advice reminding people to buy tickets ahead. It saves money and ensures that you will get the tour time you want.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Excellent tour and facilities. Awesome gift shop. Very skilled employees made experience gret and makes me want to bring more friends and relatives to your tour. My only suggestion is that you need to put posters or a computer with interactive information at each of the planes hanging from the ceiling to tell their story and why they were picked. I am also disappointed that Boeing retirees are not allowed free admission to the company tour that we spent our adult lives building. Shame on the Boeing Company!

Thanks for visiting us. We love our local friends and neighbors. We hope that you'll come back. One thing to think about is membership, which gives tons of great benefits. You can check it out on our web page FutureofFlightFoundation

We will pass along your comments and ideas about making it easier to understand why the planes hanging from the ceiling were chosen and more about their stories.