“Spectacular for the burbs”

Charles at Smugglers Cove Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“Spectacular for the burbs”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Fabulous views, excellent food, professional service, great small wine list that is very reasonable and a great laid back atmosphere. For the same cost compared to other local restaurants you get SO much more. Try it instead of going back to Ivars or arnie's.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank mdjwales

Mukilteo, Washington
“I wish special occasions occur more often”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Because my husband takes me to Charles at Smugglers Cove on special occasions. I LOVE this place, my all time favorite, in Mukilteo. French food, simply divine.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jenny139
Seattle, Washington
“Not really my cup of tea.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have been here on 3 different occasion. Normally during the winter and a night. Each time was a dinner meeting and we were located in a large room, probably an old living room. The most recent visit was in January. The food and service was good. The appetizers were a great selection and very tasty. I don't have any complaints about the food or service and since I was there for a meeting and I wasn't paying the bill, I don't know what it cost, although I understand its not inexpensive.

Although eating in various rooms of an old house is not my ideal setting, particularly in the winter. Whatever view there may be is non-existent when its dark at 5:00pm. The biggest complaint appeared to be the lack of maintenance. The house is 100+ feet from the parking to the front door and the first thing I noticed is the covered walkway that should have been torn down a couple years ago and will probably fall down in the next snow storm. It says a lot when the first thing you see is something that was poorly constructed and not maintained, particularly a covered walkway in the Puget Sound area.

Would I go back, probably for a meeting, but not on my own. To many other choices that offer better prices, nicer facility, better view or all of the above.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank 19Mark55
Bothell, Washington, United States
“Perfect For Special Occasions”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

One of the very few restaurants we have been to where every bite of everything was wonderful. Ambiance looking over puget sound was spectacular at sunset, and very romantic. Service has always been top notch. Certainly not cheap, (around $100 for dinner for 2), but all around excellent and highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Richard S
Mukilteo, Washington
“Good food, average value”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My wife and I went here for her birthday. We've been a couple of times before, and the restaurant is pretty consistent.

It's very small in the winter, maybe 10 tables. There's summer seating, but we never seem to be there when it's open. The restaurant is quiet, but for some reason, that makes it a little more uncomfortable. The tables are a little too close together, and it's all to easy to be forced into the conversation at the table next to you. It sounds weird to say it, but the noise floor in the room could be raised a little bit, and I think it would actually make the room more private. I would say they should move the tables further apart, but then they would only have about 6 tables in the room.

The food is pretty good. I love Bouillabaisse, and theirs is a nice rendition of seafood stew, based on what you can get fresh in the Pacific Northwest I wish they finished it with Rouille. The other dishes are also very nice, which is what you would expect for the price. Dessert is good, but a little uninspired.

Full bar, with an extensive wine list. Based on the bottles I knew, markup looked to be between 3:1 and 4:1 (e.g. $15 bottle would cost you between $45 and $60).

The service is leisurely - come here expecting a relaxing evening with plenty of time to chat. Go to Grouchy Chef if you want good food served fast.

Dinner for two with alcohol and dessert + tip is about $220. The food is good, but the value is only average.

Visited February 2013