“Great Japanese”

Ranked #8 of 63 Restaurants in Mukilteo
Cuisines: Japanese
“Great Japanese”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Went there late at night when everything seemed to be closed not expecting much. I was impressed, however, by the friendliness of what appeared to be the owner. The hostess not so much but maybe she was tired. Even though most other diners were almost finished he seemed genuinely happy to see us. The food was great...mine even came with miso soup and a seaweed salad for starters. I topped it off with a Sapporo & although I was very tired and it was late, had a nice supper.

• Visited September 2013

Seattle
“By far the best Japanese food ...”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

By far the best Japanese restaurant north and south of Seattle ... and even better than most so-called Japanese restaurants in Seattle. I've been coming to this is a small family owned and run establishment for some 10 years.

When I'm in the area and I'm in the mood for Japanese food, I always stop here. It's true there are times the service can be a little slow, but the quality of the food more than makes up for that. The food here is authentic ... yes, I've lived in Japan. The sushi, and a few of their dinners are seasonal, meaning the chef only serves the freshest food.

I've eaten in many Japanese restaurants in the Seattle area and there are a few other very good Japanese restaurants. But outside of Seattle, Sakuma shines.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank treerod1
Everett, WA
“Very good food spoiled by indifferent service”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

To be honest, went to Sakuma only because Cafe Soleil a few blocks away was closed on Mondays. The food is very much authentic Japanese. Price and portions are appropriate. Service slow.

Took five minutes for the staff to clear off a table for four, and the staff is smug. Staff is a real turn off. Not sure if I'd go there again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank wtfresca
Mukilteo, Washington
“Best Sushi in Mukilteo”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This small restaurant, tucked away in a strip mall, is surprisingly excellent. It's pretty small, but I've always managed to get a table.

The normal sushi / sashimi / rolls are solidly done. They have a good selection of sake and plum wine (yum!) and the miso soup tastes homemade to me.

They do carry some rarities. I've gotten Monkfish Liver here on a couple occasions, and they routinely have exotics like Sea Urchin. The chef will do an omakase if you ask nicely; 3 / 5 / 7 courses.

Service is patient, sometimes a little slow, but usually pretty good. If you like to eat sushi at a faster pace, sitting at the bar will get you served quickly; they have honored my requests to serve the omakase as they make it.

Dinner for two, with wine, in the $60 - $70 range. Pretty solid value when you think about what fish costs. You aren't going to do better (for sushi) in Mukilteo.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Eyewall1
“Really Good”
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Always really tasty, but can sometimes be really slow. They also really stingy with the soy sauce-weird. I have been scolded and lectured when I asked for more. Apparently the Japanese don't traditionally use much on their sushi.
Just give me my soy sauce. Geez

Been to Sakuma Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!