“Challenging but worth it”

Rattlesnake Mountain Trail
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in North Bend
Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Challenging but worth it”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My family and I took on this trail on a weekday in August (Ive heard it is very busy on weekends so either go very early or on a weekday). This was the first time we had gone hiking, and it was a very difficult path for us. The almost 2 miles up the mountain is all uphill, but the view from the top is worth it. Be careful if you have small children, though, because the ledge can be dangerous because there are no railings and you are over 2000 feet up. That being said, if you're careful, there is nothing to worry about. It was not too far from Seattle, which is a plus, but make sure if youre using a GPS to use Rattlesnake LEDGE not RIDGE to get to the correct area. Also, there is a very nice lake at the bottom of the mountain, so you should bring a baithing suit.

Visited August 2014

North Bend
“Challenging, but attainable”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I hiked Rattlesnake on a Monday morning at 8am. The hike is gorgeous. It's challenging enough to let you know you're getting a workout, but I knew I could make it to the top. On our way down about an hour later we passed about 50 people starting to climb the ridge. Go early on a weekday and beat the crowds. :)

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful views after every trail section, worth the hike”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We hiked upto the 1.9 mile mark with kids. We saw lots of kids on the way. the hike is difficult but doable. Take as many breaks as you want. Don't run in the portion where there is a drop on your left or right.
I wish there were better restroom facilities on site. We had to leave right after the hike to the nearest cafe so we could use a restroom.
Tip: Take Powerade and trail mix, sandwiches so you can refuel on the way. sip the drink you take since you won't be able to use a restroom until you get down :)

Visited July 2014
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Breathtaking view”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This was my first time there. My sister went last year and she said the hike was a killer if you're not an active hiker. I read a lot of reviews mentioning it's an easy hike. So I went on Sunday with my husband. I exercise everyday with T25 but the hike wasn't what I expected. It's an incline elevation 1.9 mile to the ridge. I was breathing really hard, stop a couple times but I also noticed that even the fit people were doing the exact same thing. I don't feel too bad. The view was breathtaking and gorgeous overlooking the lake. Make sure you bring lots of water and snacks.

Seattle, Washington
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great day hike, but not during school holidays!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've done this hike a few times now, and it's a great one for beginner hikers. You get some elevation gain, but it's nothing too outrageous, and the views are gorgeous if you need to stop along the way and catch your breath.

The path is easy to find, and follow, all the way to the ridge, and the view from the top is worth the effort. Plan to take a snack or lunch and spend some time sitting on the rocky ledge enjoying the peace and quiet, and the amazing scenery.

I made the mistake of going during spring break however, and the experience was a very different one. The trail was crowded and noisy, and I found it far to stressful to sit and enjoy the view. There are no barriers at the top, and the rocky platform leads to a massive drop, which isn't ideal for small children unless they are being supervised.

Visited May 2014