“Clean, friendly and great for one night while traveling.”

Candlewood Suites Oak Harbor
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oak Harbor
Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

My family stayed one night at this property. Clean and friendly spot following a day of whale watching. Well stocked "pantry" for food/beverage needs with 24/7 coffee. The building construction is not solid on the 3rd floor. What I mean is...just walking across your room floor or kids excited to be in a hotel sounds, transferred to the guest rooms below too easily. Would stay again without question.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We ended up at the hotel last minute for the night after leaving another that we had booked for a romantic anniversary that was very dirty and disappointing. We arrived and they were very helpful, went up to the room and it was very updated, well decorated and clean, had a huge kitchen area, very comfortable bed and seating at the table along with a great recliner chair and flat screen TV. We were on the top floor and even though are room looked onto the main highway it was a very quiet night.
It is also right next to the China City Resturant so you dont have to drive anywhere for dinner if you like chinees food, it was an excellent meal and drinks. Would stay there again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: top floor facing west, great sun set over the Olympic Mountains
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff V
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Our first time at a Candlewood Suites and it was like a brand new building. The room was surprisingly clean and fresh. All fixtures and appliances were like new and within a very spacious suite. The bed was the most comfortable we had slept upon in years.
The "Kitchen Cupboard" is a great idea and helps with the convenience of a in room breakfast. The use of several outdoor Bbqs is great too. The service was quick and courteous. Most importantly, no surprises.
We highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mouldingman
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed here on a business trip through WA. We both got a queen one bedroom suite. The room was clean, the carpet, appliances, tv, bathroom etc were all in great shape, I was disappointed that they didn't have an ice machine (you have an ice maker in the fridge in your room, but if y ou want ice now - you have to wait)

Front desk was accommodating. It's a nice place with no frills or extras. Just a clean nice room. The Best Western next door has a pool and more stuff you can do.

Overall, great place if you bring your own fun, food, beverages.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if it is their best rate - I saved $20 with this simple question.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulT60606
Reviewed 30 August 2011

To me, this hotel came off as cold and institutional despite its having some good qualities. The reasons are the decor throughout, which resembles that of a hospital, the noticeable smell of cleaning soap, and the hospital-admitting-room appearance of the lobby.

That said, my third-floor room was good in many ways despite its plain appearance. The bedroom was quite large, as was the bathroom. The room had a wood-floored kitchen area with a refrigerator, stove, sink, microwave and dishwasher. The carpeted living area had a large and firmly comfortable bed, arm chair, writing desk and TV console. The hotel has three floors and is located on the north end of Oak Harbor. It has an exercise room and laundry room.

All things considered, I would look for a more inviting hotel next time in Oak Harbor.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank glendale-member
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Wife and I went kayaking this weekend in Lake Campbell, and Pass Lake. It was a rare warm Seattle day, and the island was alive with boaters, swimmers, and visitors to Deception Pass. We decided to stay at Candlewood for two reasons. 1. We knew it was the newest hotel in the area and 2. I have a lot of faith (and points) with the Holiday Inn brands. We checked in at 5pm Saturday behind another couple. The phone was ringing off the hook, and the poor girl was getting flustered. She was the only one at the desk. I told her to help the people on the phone, and it seemed to never end. Checking in after that was just fine. We received a top floor room (an automatic perk of having membership at most chains) and a cute little gift bag. The staff could not have been any nicer in spite of the horrific phone issues.
The room was spotless, and decor was just fine. The room has a complete, albiet, dwarfed kitchen with everything a kitchen at home has inside. Microwave had a bowl, and a popcorn, and there was a bottle of unopened water in the fridge. bedding is wonderful, and in spite of what others have written, thermostat and air conditioning worked well. The bathroom is well appointed, clean, and had the usual amenities, but in a farly large size. Very nice for those of us who take these items home. In the room was a la z boy leather chair which was very clean, and very comfortable. I knew upon arrival there was no pool, jacuzzi, or breakfast. The work out room was very clean, well outfitted, and ready to use. We peaked at the laundry, and it too was very very clean. A business center near the small lobby is outfitted with two terminals, and a very good printer, all in working order. The night we were there, must have been a special "pet" night, as we noticed many guests had pets. I am really not a fan of hotels which allow pets, and usually make sure it is not their policy. It isnt so much the pets, but pet owners that bother me. A good example was the pet owner waiting for the elevator that allowed his leashed dog to stick his nose right on in there (if ya know what I mean) and did little to pull it back. Instead of throwing a fit like I normally do, I simply acted injured from this dogs intrusion, and scared the owner a bit. I will say I heard no barking, and could not smell any evidence of pets either in the room, or the grounds.
Aside from the pet policy, I give Candlewood high marks in all areas. At 126.00 dollars a night (a Saturday night in the summer no less) I found it to be priced right. I have stayed at the Coachman, Best Western, and, yes, even the Acorn Motor Lodge once. I will stay with this Candlewood Suites on my next overnighter as well. Have fun, happy travels!

Room Tip: Always be a member of a chains
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaveFrancis
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Check in was friendly and efficient. There's not much of a lobby area to speak of.

Based on previous reviews, I got a top floor room and had no noise issues. The hotel was only about 1/2 full, if that. The workout area and laundry are well-maintained and they have a little outside deck and barbecue area (too cold outside for me, though!)

The plus - I was very pleased with the room. Spacious, clean, updated decor, comfy bed and pillows, plenty of towels, and the kitchen was a big plus and pretty well-equipped.

The minuses - No breakfast provided. They have the Candlewood pantry, which is an honor system tiny convenience store with some microwaveable items and cold items. It's an interesting concept and it's great if you get in late in the evening or just want a snack and don't want to go out again. But I think I'd still prefer to have the breakfast setup like most extended stay hotels do. To have the pantry in addition to the morning breakfast would be great.

Another drawback is weekly maid service instead of daily. If you were there for a week, your room would be a mess. My trash cans were pretty full by Day 2. ( I was only there for two days.)

You really get the feel of being more in an apartment than a hotel. They're charging extended stay hotel prices but not providing the amenities that others in the price range do. I'd stay here again, but wish they're provide a little more in terms of services, or else lower the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
#2 of 4 in Oak Harbor
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Candlewood Suites Oak Harbor? Share your experiences!