“A great, inexpensive cafe”
Review of Angelo's Caffe - CLOSED

Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Authentic Italian made from scratch. Bakery, Breakfast, Lunch, Espresso, Beer & Wine in a great setting. Outdoor patio, kid & pet-friendly.
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stopped at this cafe on a whim, looking for an inexpensive place for a quick lunch. We were pleasantly surprised, since I had read some not so kind reviews from earlier posts. Don't believe those negative posts; try it yourselves and give them an honest review.
We were welcomed immediately, and served promptly. The place is not fancy, but is clean and homey. The menu was quite varied and included great soups and deserts made by the owners, a friendly couple who are transplants to Oak Harbor from California several years ago. My seafood gumbo was excellent, and my wife also had another homemade soup that she said was delicious. I don't ordinarily order coffee in cafes since it's so often disappointing. My wife did order coffee and said it was very good. I tasted hers....it was very good,so I'll definitely not hesitate next time. They also sell beer and wine, so that's a positive for later in the day stops. The desserts were great. We don't ordinarily order desserts, but were given a sample of the daily special. We couldn't resist...we bought two different desserts to go. We will definitely be back. Nice little cafe!

2  Thank dano20
There are newer reviews for Angelo's Caffe

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Saturday drive, Sounds great, leaving our home in Black Diamond and driving up to Skagit Valley where I grew up. Hey trips to Deception Pass haven’t been there for a long time. Nice walk it was visit public lands day so state parks are open to all. During the walk our Thirteen year old daughter said she was hungry and would like to go to do Italian for lunch. So we thought it would be nice to head into Oak Harbor for lunch. Looking for a place to eat we went to old town which was a nice place, there has been a lot of work on the area and it was done well. We found a place called Angelo’s Cafe. As we walked to the front door the owner or manager meet us at the door and welcomed us, walked us to our table. We were told that we could not order from the breakfast list. There were not many people there and those that were there were finishing eating a leaving. After being seated a nice looking young lady came to our table and took our order. And we sat waiting for our food we notice a few more people arriving. Their orders were taken. As more people started to arrive more than 20 minutes after we had been sitting and waiting for our food we noticed that the common thing about these folks were that most seemed to be supporters or Rod McKenna. It looked like they were coming from a rally or going to one. We were still waiting more than 45 minutes and still no food, no soup, salads or breads (part of the order) nothing. But as we looked around no one else was being served. Then I saw Rob McKenna walk in. and walk towards the back or the restaurant. Then you could smell the food being cooked. It smelled great. Orders started coming out of the kitchen Rob got his food we have been there almost a hour and no food. Other tables were getting food and still we were not. The breakfast lists being closed guess what one of the first order being placed on the table next to us. I walked up to the counter and asked if there was a problem with our order that we have been waiting now an hour and still we have not gotten our food? If our food was not being cooked then I wanted to cancel my order and that we would go somewhere else to eat. Then I also pointed out that we had been there before anyone that was getting their food. I was told our food was coming next. So I went back to join my wife and daughter when food was brought to our table it was not our order but the food to some of the people that had come into the restaurant way after we had been there. Now I have never done this before in my life but I paid for the coffee one cup I got and my wife, Daughter and I got up and left the restaurant. As we were leaving the front door I hear someone call our order was ready. I will never know if the food at Anglo’s was as good as it smelled, I do hope that those folks that got their food enjoyed the food and experience or being a part of Rob McKenna’s rally. But I don’t think my child, my wife or I should have been placed so low Customers appreciation to be treated with total disrespect. Service at this restaurant was nonexistence. Maybe had we know that the restaurant was being held for Rob McKenna luncheon (if that is what it was) had the choice to get something to eat without the wasting of our time I would be able to laugh at this but in my opinion this is not how to run a Restaurant, and Rob we have met before I have been a police officer for over twenty five years been in the military for over six years, I never had my people take over a business or felt I was more important than anyone other person at any eatery where I expected my people or myself to be taken care of first. This was not my best experience at seeing politics be worked in the public or at any restaurant. So our trip to Deception Pass was only matched by deception of service at Oak Harbor at the restaurant Angelo’s Cafe

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We (5 of us) went there for lunch. We were given 2 menus, and told that there was another large group (about 8) that had the other menus, so we would get them when the large group was done. We never did get more menus. Our food took over 35 minutes to arrive, and our salads never came before the meal. The food itself was fine, but the service was extremely poor. The head waitress explained that their 2 waitstaff were new, and a bit slow since it was such a hot day. This was quite hard to believe since it was not that hot out, we were inside the restaurant, and there were only FOUR tables occupied with customers while we were there. One guest ordered a house salad with ranch dressing. It came with a home made vinaigrette, and when she sent it back, she was told that they did not have ranch. (Why not tell us in the first place?) Yet when the bill came, we were charged for the salad! We had to 'discuss' this with the waitstaff supervisor to get it removed. To say the least, the visit was not pleasant, and we will not be returning.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I live In Oak Harbor, i like the food but when I set in outdoor , OMG the smoke from next door Jo Jo's harbor the gust smoking cigartt just next to my table, health food but sorry .......Nnnnnno Smoke in restaurant !!:(

oakharbor, Owner at Angelo's Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

We at Angelo's Caffe are sorry to hear that the smoke from JoJo's HarborLight Tavern interfered with the enjoyment of your lunch. We strive to provide the best organic, natural, and healthful meal possible and are disappointed when outside factors negatively affect those efforts.

State law prohibits smoking within 25 feet of an egress to a building, but it is left to individual businesses to enforce the law. We can and do aggressively control smoking on our patio, our entrances, and within our 25 foot boundaries. Unfortunately, JoJo's front door is more than 25 feet from our entrance and patio and they do not enforce the smoking laws as stringently as we do.

We talked to our neighbors and asked that they control smoking in front of JoJo’s Tavern, and especially, when our customers are enjoying a meal on the our patio. But ultimately, we cannot control the behavior of their customers and those who feel they have the freedom to smoke where they choose. We are sorry that we received a poor rating based on your recent experience but we understand your disappointment because our outdoor patio is a wonderful place to enjoy a nice afternoon and a good meal. We do want to assure you we have addressed this problem to the best of our ability and in the meantime look forward to an opportunity to provide excellent service and a good meal in our dining room.

Thank you for your feedback and be sure that we will continue to work to improve the downtown experience for all visitors.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We threw the food away after one bite! Greasy waste of money. The latte was drinkable and the barista nice.