“Wonderful viewes of the dunes and ocean from our room”

Campbell House at Klipsan Beach
Ranked #1 of 6 Ocean Park B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Wonderful viewes of the dunes and ocean from our room”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

When we want a beach getaway we usually go to the Oregon Coast, but recently we decided to try something different and check out Washington’s Long Beach Peninsula. It’s about the same driving distance from Portland and the area has everything you need for a coast visit: uncrowded beaches, good restaurants, a marina and fishing fleet, and, if you have kids in tow, an arcade, miniature golf, and go-carts.

We had not stayed in a classic B&B for a while so we decided to take a chance on a fairly new place in Klipsan Beach, just north of Long Beach, the major town in the area. The Campbell House at Klipsan Beach is on property that’s been in the current owners’ family for generations, and has recently been completely modernized and upgraded. It’s located right on the beach with a row of dunes between you and the ocean.

We decided to splurge and went for the Master Suite, which has a huge soaking tub in a window overlooking the beach and ocean – about the most perfect possible place to warm up and watch the sunset after a typically bracing winter beach stroll. I believe there are four rooms total; two have their own baths and two share a bathroom between them. It’s a two-story house that’s full of mementos and family photos going back to the early 1900s, with the bedrooms upstairs and a dining room and comfortable living room & TV lounge downstairs, so you can get away from it all in your room or hang out with the other guests.

This is a classic B&B, meaning breakfast is served family style and it was excellent. Jo and Peter, the owners, are excellent cooks and I fear I’d gain weight if we’d stayed there any longer. Jo is the one whose family has lived in the area for generations so she was able to offer lots of local background and ideas for things to do and see nearby. While we weren’t walking on the beach we checked out the fishing fleet at the nearby town of Ilwaco, the seriously scenic North Head Lighthouse, and the Ilwaco City Museum – which was way more extensive and interesting than I expected. It even has a replica of the entire Long Beach Peninsula in the 1920s, complete with a working model of the area’s Clamshell Railroad (yes, I’m a rail fan: could you tell?)

Anyway, we had a wonderful winter getaway at the Campbell House – the place is scenic and a bit secluded but not that far from town, the owners are hospitable and welcoming, and our room – with a deep tub from which you could watch storms roll in over the ocean – was to die for.

Room Tip: Go for the Master Suite with the soaking tub overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Casey1994

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Wenatchee, Washington, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2014

First and foremost if you want a place with the beach a short walk over the dunes, where you can kick back and relax, go clam digging, fly a kite this is place. I have known Jo for years, she grew up at the beach so she is a great source of information. I strongly suggest a visit to the Cranberry Museum, and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. Even though you are not in the heart of downtown Long Beach, it is an easy drive. You can also easily make the trip to Astoria. You can't beat the views from every room. If you really want a treat visit over the Fourth of July. You will see all the fireworks up and down the coastline! It is quite a sight, and is a great experience for young and old. Lest I forget the puppies Nellie, Otis, and Porter, You can even borrow a dog for a walk on the beach!

Room Tip: Andrea's room is my favorite!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cynthia M
Reviewed 27 January 2014

To start this review off I must have a disclaimer, I am not from the Beach, I am a resident of Portland and have quite often only traveled to Seaside and Lincoln City. My girlfriend told me about a bed and breakfast she wanted to go to in the summer. At first I was not happy about going. Bed and Breakfasts are for older people. But I went along only for the fact that it was directly ON THE BEACH. When we arrived I was shocked with the unobstructed view. No matter which room to stay in each had a view. We stayed in the Andrea room. The room was clean, beachy with a fun photo of the bridges of Portland. This feature caught my eye first due to where I reside in. After being greeted by the inn keepers Jo and Peter we were introduced to their other helpers the puppies. Amazing animals and great hosts! The common spaces (living room and quiet sitting room) were spacious and filled with books, movies, and interesting items to look at. I found myself sitting by their fireplace looking at the ocean and enjoying the rustic beach feel.

I originally wanted to stay in the thick of things in downtown Long Beach and be amongst the little shops and other tourists. But after staying here I quickly changed my mind. Most of the hotels and other bed and breakfasts had minimal views of the ocean and the tourists and traffic was too much to handle. At the Campbell House there was a private path to the beach with zero objects preventing a view of the ocean. Only room with no view are the 2 of the 3 bathrooms. Ha. Staying here is worth the 5-10 min drive to downtown.

On our next trip down, we went in the winter time. Drastic difference then summer. Less tourists and just a different experience with the weather too. One thing I had to try when visiting this time was the clam digging package offered. I a city guy wanted to try it and found the instructions Peter the inn keeper gave was amazing! They assisted with directing me on how obtain a license to dig and when everything was done Peter gave me a tutorial on how to clam dig. Assisted with the proper tools and I was on my way to getting a limit! Thankfully they helped me find a place to get them cleaned and packaged for the ride home.

This place has converted me into a Bed and Breakfast person. I hope to make another trip or two down and see Jo and Peter soon. Also hope to see their Boston terrier Otis again too! He is a character!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TRIPcj
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 24 January 2014

i had a quite restful time . The rooms are welcoming with beautiful views of the beach. Short walk to the beach or up to the antique store. Peter taught me how to dig claims. Sat on the porch and read. Took my two grand daughters 19 & 22 . They loved it and look forward to returning

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank claudia b
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have stayed here a few times both in the summer during Fourth of July and another in the winter. The rooms are clean and decorated different depending on the room your in. I grew up on the beach so staying here is like coming home!

Both inn keepers Jo and Peter welcomed me like family, even the puppies were wonderful greeters! Breakfast varried with each day! Not your normal eggs and bacon like most B&B's I have stayed in. I had wonderful Pumpkin pancakes one time and amazing poptato hash another!

One of my favorite parts of each stay was all of the wonderful books and items they had around the place. Really could feel the history!

The closeness to the beach is really what we were looking for when we searched for a place. It was quiet and not over crowded like the other hotels in downtown Long Beach. We were able to enjoy a fire outside without cars and tourists and walked to the beach (which was only feet away) without tripping over anyone.

I am already planning more trips to this place for 2014. Can NOT wait to see Jo and Peter. Oh, can NOT forget saying hello to Nellie, Otis and Porter. Nellie is my favorite!

Room Tip: The Andrea room is the best room, warm at night and with the window open you wake up to the ocean br...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,637 reviews
The Anchorage Cottages
The Anchorage Cottages
#5 of 8 in Long Beach

Been to Campbell House at Klipsan Beach? Share your experiences!