“Pleasent”

The Sands Resort
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
“Pleasent”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay. We can't really say much bad of this establishment. We've stayed at many hotels before. And we enjoyed ourselves at the Sands Hotel. My husband and I would consider returning to the Sands in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank kipers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Galva, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband I stayed here several times, and we will stay several more times if we can. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean and the staff were exceptional. In Ocean Shores I think it is one of the best places to stay, it is right in the middle of all the activities going on and not to far from all the restraunts and the trails to the beach were easy and accessible. Love the pool and the hot tubs, the breakfast was great. And the prices were perfect. And the pet friendly was a great bonus as well. Great family environment. I would recommend The Sands to all who want easy access friendly environment easy access to the activities and who have pets! And all at a great price :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel P
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013

There were a number of inconveniences and signs of neglect that pretty much made this place a no-go for us. We were given a different room after we discovered the TV was broken in our first room, but the TV in the new room also didn't work. We were able to fix it ourselves, but the fireplace also didn't work, one lamp was broken, the dresser was broken, and an electrical outlet was broken, among other things.

There were no screens on the windows, including the sliding glass door, and the light on the balcony could not be turned off, so we couldn't have the windows open overnight without letting in bugs (and there are plenty of them). Part of the appeal of a beachside hotel is the sea breeze, but we slept hot. (No A/C either.) The poor air circulation is probably also the cause of the rust in the bathroom. There was no bathroom fan. There was no microwave in the kitchenette.

The layout of the place was also strange and inconvenient. The bed was right next to the door and the window that looked out on the exterior walkway and parking lot, which tended to be loud. A half wall then divided the bed from the sitting area, where the TV was located, so we could not watch TV in bed. This is one of the little luxuries I enjoy about hotels/motels.

The employees were friendly, and the continental breakfast was fine. The location was outstanding, but we did get lost trying to get back to the motel along the trails from the beach, so make sure you know where you're going if you venture out on those. There are a number of hotels and motels along this same stretch of beach.

This motel has several different buildings, so there may be better rooms, but we won't be coming here again. Granted, it was inexpensive and allowed pets, but the rooms need more attention, a more thorough cleaning, and basic maintenance.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ocean Shores hotels

Olympia, WA
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The hotel is old. However, the location and dog-friendly benefits would almost make up for it. I say ALMOST, because my stay here was ruined by a careless employee. Back in March we went to the beach for a last minute get away. The hotel was what I would expect of an older hotel - thin walls, slightly run down. I loved the location - although all the trails to the beach appeared to be flooded and impassable at the time. I really wanted to like this hotel. I initially thought I might have found a new get away spot. Until the morning that is... At 9am, I was woke up by the front desk (the neighbors kept us up late - thin walls...) and the friendly gentleman explained how their reservations system had crashed and they needed my credit card info once again. Long story short - after I woke up a bit more, something didn't sit right. I immediately called the front desk. The woman who answered acted like I was an idiot for falling for the scam - she told me she transferred some outside caller to my room. I have NEVER EVER had a hotel front desk transfer a RANDOM call to my room! I never would have thought they would do this! The front desk person didn't ask for any identifying info from the person. More than anything though - SHE DIDN'T APOLOGIZE to me for the inconvenience! I was able to cancel my credit card before all their attempted charges processed - it only wasted a hour or so of my morning hotel time and ruined what we had hoped would be an escape of the day-to-day stress. As an added bonus, I was without my credit card for nearly TWO WEEKS and had to travel for business much of that time. :-(

Room Tip: Be cautious with calls appearing to be from the front desk. See if the front desk person can reco...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marrissa99
Seattle
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Woke up on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and decided to go to Ocean Shores with the family (of 5). The Sands had availability so I reviewed the reviews here and they were mixed. Ranked 14 out of 15. However, not a lot of last minute options, so we booked it and we were very pleased by what we found. Look, if you favor Hilton, Marriott, and Grand Hyatts, then you probably aren't going to Ocean Shores for your holiday. If you do got to Ocean Shores, the spectrum of hotels is the Best Western Plus/Judith Inn (B&B) at the top end and places far worse than the Sands on the othe (that don't get rated by TripAdvisor). The difference between Ocean Shore's best and the Sands is not significant. We had a one bedroom suite, very clean, very comfortable. Pleasant walk through the dunes to the beach. The hotel is well situated within a comfortable walk to town. The breakfast is limited and they probably need to find a better place to offer than the pool house which got pretty crowded, but at least they had breakfast. Yes, the walls are a bit thin--but no different than every other middling hotel chain in America. Certainly no worse than that. And, it was quiet by 11. Yes, as someone pointed out below, the soaps are small. But, somehow, we endured. Bottom line: for Ocean Shores, this is comfortable, clean option and we would be happy to stay here again, even if the luxurious Shilo Inn or Best Western had availability.

Room Tip: They have several properties, some of which are across the main road away from the beach. Ask for a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PNWTraveler99
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I went to Ocean Shores on a whim without a reservation to get some peace, quiet, and relaxation. After driving around and checking hotel rooms and prices I came to the Sands Resort, the first room I looked at wasn't what I was looking for, so I asked at the counter to see a different room. The room I ended up with was lovely. Newly remodeled room and bathroom, ocean front view and the BEST price in town. I slept comfortably and enjoyed my stay.
The staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were nice and clean. Plenty of parking spaces.

Room Tip: You don't have to take the first room they give you a key to, if you don't like the room ask...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TeninoBeavers
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have a tip for the front desk, if your hotel is virutally empty, why put the only guests on top or next door to each otheer?
Also, a larger piece of soap would be nice and maybe an extra towel? The kitchen needs a sponge.

Room Tip: ask for top floor
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
thesandsresort, General Manager at The Sands Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
We regret that your stay here was not as pleasant as it could have been. We do honor special requests for rooms which sometimes results in guests being grouped together even when the hotel is not at capacity. We have instructed our front desk agents to consider this when checking in guests and offer alternate rooms in the future. Extra towels, pillows and blankets are available on request.