“Disgusting” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Sands Resort
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
“Disgusting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Carpet was so filthy and stained, we had to wear shoes because you could feel the filth in bare feet. Spider webs with huge spiders inside the room. No screens on the windows. Furniture was dirty also.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I called to make reservations for the weekend of 8-23-13. I spoke to one of the desk clerks "Tina". I told her that I was making plans for a weekend get away for my girlfriends birthday that she was unaware of. I asked "Tina", if there were any way that she could arrange to have some flowers in our room upon our arrival. She said that she "Would make it happen". Upon our arrival, there was a BEAUTIFUL arraignment of flowers, orchids, lilies etc, and a bottle of Sparkling Cider. She went OVER THE TOP. My girlfriend was elated, and our stay was, as it always has been.....excellent. Polite service, information and excellent accommodations. Even though we do have a time share a few miles south of The Sands, We always choose The Sands. We will continue to visit, and I actually recommended them to a friend that is going to the ocean next weekend. For my needs....5 Stars

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cal O
Raymond, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Do not stay in this dump! We went down for razor clam season and this hotel was the only one that had rooms left. Now we know why. The rooms were filthy with sand and the walls were dirty. The sink in the kitchenette was also full of sand. The bathroom had mold and mildew on the bathroom walls and all around the shower. In the Master Bedroom (only one bedroom) above the bed was a picture. The picture had some sticky substance that looked like it had been squirted on it. Didn't touch it, could only guess what the heck that was!
Went to the main office of the Sands to ask for a new room. They informed us our room was the only room they had available and we were stuck with it. When I inquired about getting someone to "clean" it, they stated all staff had gone home for the day and would be able to clean tomorrow.
Did not give them a chance to clean it for us as we checked out the next morning. Sent a letter to the manager/owner and received no response. Filed a report with BBB. Also, contacted the City of Ocean Shores, WA to let them know that this "The Sand" is the type of representation they don't need to bring visitors to their once dying community. The only one who responded was the City of Ocean Shores and it was an apology for our bad experience.

Room Tip: Rooms are the beach are much nicer, especially if they have a view of the Pacific Ocean. Ask to see...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AnnieOM_13

Travellers are raving about these Ocean Shores hotels

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Have stayed 6 times, once yearly. We go in the Summer for the outdoor pool. It was closed in 2011 and 2012, but open in 2013, clean and warm. The continental breakfast is basic but a fun experience with the others attempting to get their food. Does need maintenance, but a good Summer value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Went out for the 4th of July festivities. Here are the issues we had as soon as we got to the room.

1) As soon as we opened the door, there was a smell that was indescribable - like the room hadn't been used in a long time - it was enough to make me run for my inhaler. We had to sleep with the sliding door open both nights because the smell would come back if there wasn't fresh air flowing through the room.

2) Phone did not work because you had to jiggle the cord in the wall box - then there was so much static it wasn't worth it.

3) Balcony had moss/grim/dirt everywhere - major neglect - the sliding glass door took an act of congress to get it open - my roommate had to open/close it every time and it was even a struggle for him

4) Windows were sealed shut

5) Layout of the whole room was odd - the bed is 2 feet from the door so it's hard to maneuver around to get your things in and out - bathroom is right at the foot of the bed, so that was not pleasant.

6) Bathroom is TINY - if you are a larger person like I am, there is not much room to move once on the toilet

7) NO Wifi in the rooms - was told the motel had Wifi (this is a major need for me to have wifi in the room) - was not told that you would have to go to the main office to use their computer or the second office with your own computer - I was able to pick it up sporadically on my iPod.

8) Fireplace is NOT a true fireplace - it's a cheap plastic looking thing that glows - could never find the switch to even turn it on. ..

9) This is a PET friendly motel - be prepared for dogs barking and or dog piles in the back.

10) Walls are thin so with the bed being near the doors, you can hear everything that is happening in the parking lot and/or on the stairs and walkways.

11) Bed was NOT comfortable - squeaky and lumpy

The ONLY good thing about this motel/room - the view from the second floor balcony overlooks the dunes, so we were able to come back to the room about 10:30pm and watch the fireworks from our room that people were lighting off over the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PurplePlayDoh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay. We can't really say much bad of this establishment. We've stayed at many hotels before. And we enjoyed ourselves at the Sands Hotel. My husband and I would consider returning to the Sands in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank kipers
Galva, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband I stayed here several times, and we will stay several more times if we can. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean and the staff were exceptional. In Ocean Shores I think it is one of the best places to stay, it is right in the middle of all the activities going on and not to far from all the restraunts and the trails to the beach were easy and accessible. Love the pool and the hot tubs, the breakfast was great. And the prices were perfect. And the pet friendly was a great bonus as well. Great family environment. I would recommend The Sands to all who want easy access friendly environment easy access to the activities and who have pets! And all at a great price :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple