“Stuffy and Stinky”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Federal Way, WA
“Stuffy and Stinky”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I really wanted to like the Guesthouse in Ocean Shores. We were booked to stay there two nights Sunday - Tuesday. However, we decided to check out a day early. We couldn't bare to stay there another night!
Pros: Very nice couple running the hotel, they let us check out a day early --- no questions asked and didn't charge us the 2nd night. The room looked clean enough -- a little dated and worn but really not too bad. They had toiletries and coffee in the room if we chose to make it. They brought us extra towels when requested (although we had to wait awhile because the owners do EVERYTHING and they are short staffed.)
Cons: The room is quite big and the air conditioner couldn't really circulate the air or make it sufficiently cool. It wasn't hot in Ocean Shores, so there really shouldn't have been a reason that the room would get so stuffy. The window only opens 3 inches so no ocean breeze can make it inside. The room had a permanent stale cracker or corn-chip smell (I don't know how else to describe it). It was kind of overwhelming as we were sleeping. Granted, I may like my room cooler than most while I sleep. Usually at the coast that is no problem! Next time I'm definitely going to stay someplace with windows that open and/or a balcony to get a breeze in.
The bed was horrid and the bottom sheet was so old it kept coming off and we'd have to get out of bed to put it back on.
I was going to give my baby a bath, but some bits of gunk were in the bathtub. I opted to hold him while I took a shower.
The breakfast buffet was very mediocre. The poor owner was running around and couldn't replenish the items. Many guests were waiting around for either the hot food items or for a place to sit.
Obviously some guests have a much better experience, so maybe our room was the only stinky and stuffy one?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Portland, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 31 July 2013

A nice place for a nice price. This hotel had all the basics with a little style too. Comfey bed with nice linens, good room coffee and nice toiletries. Very nice front desk staff as well as housekeeping staff. Felt good here, safe and quiet setting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Snohomish, Washington, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A wonderful hotel staffed by caring, accommodating people. I loved the breakfast buffet, it was the best hotel buffet I have been to yet! We were traveling with my son and his girlfriend so we booked two rooms side-by-side. Both rooms were very clean, the bedding was clean and the beds so comfortable. They even give you both a soft and firm pillow. The American Airlines lost the kids luggage and the staff did every thing they could to help us and suggested where we could go to replace the lost clothes. The beach was spectacular and I loved being able to walk out the door, across the dunes and there it was. It was warm during our visit so we were able to run the air conditioning during the day and open windows at night. I loved the place and definitely would recommend it. By-the-way, the price was affordable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I've never written a review on any place we have stayed before but I feel like I need to now!! This was wonderful. Loved the room (splurged a bit to have full ocean room but was soooo worth it!) The owners were so incredibly kind and helpful. (Had an issue w/our room key :o/ which was our fault and also I had mentioned it was our 25 yr anniversary and the gal @ the desk gave me a sweet little gift) We will return most definitely.
Thank you for the stay!!

Room Tip: Full ocean view was spectacular but it looks like partial view is really sweet too.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terics
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Last week I took my two grandkids to Ocean Shores for 3 days. It was our first visit and I had made reservations online at the Guesthouse Suites based on reviews. Very clean, very nice location, very nice managers. The continental breakfast was a full meal. The pool is open until Midnight, great for 12 year olds. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had ocean front, but the ocean is quite a bit away, so not really that important. Good walking p...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon C
Fircrest
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I wish Trip Advisor, and reviewers, would kindly include information about access for those who are physically challenged. Does the hotel/motel have elevators? High-rise toilets? grab bars in the bath - shower? Is there parking close by the entrance. Help to unload luggage?
Can a swimming pool be used by a person who cannot climb stairs to enter? I am shocked that so many are so obtuse (remember in Shawshank Redemption?", obtuse? that they fail to see and understand that America's population has and is getting older and requires more physical accomodation.

Room Tip: Ask, then make sure, when a person says "a few stairs", they mean one or two.
Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Balletfoodie
Minnesota
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Very clean comfortable room. Welcoming, helpful front desk clerk. My husband thought this was the best breakfast at any hotel ever. I was impressed, too.
We noticed other hotel parking lots did not have many cars but GuestHouse had quite a few. It shows people are reading TripAdvisor!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple