“Love it and hope to return some day!”
Review of Grey Gull

Grey Gull
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My husband found this gem while on a trip to WA to celebrate our anniversary. That he found the BEST place we've stayed in all the 8 days we toured WA was a miracle! The Grey Gull is in such a (still) sleepy coastal town reminiscent of Rockport TX or the Jersey shore (pre-2001). We've stayed in a variety of hotels around WA from the Hotel Deca in Seattle to a cabin near Packwood to a (very decent) Best Western in Chehalis and the Grey Gull was the best overall in value. A one-bedroom "suite" with fully-functioning kitchen, a living room with contemporary clean undamaged furniture and a FIREPLACE, and a great king-sized bed and a nice bathroom not located in the bedroom. The best was the view of the ocean and beach, the dunes and the flickering lanterns of the "clammers"... I love my husband more for having found and surprised me with this trip from TX and for bringing me here to the Grey Gull. You would not know from the outside that this is such a great place to stay! and the variety of restaurants up the road make it hard to want to cook in our room! Thanks to the lovely owner... we've had a blast so far!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanNell

Reviewed 12 July 2008

After making my reservation with them a month before my trip, I was greeted at the office late at night during check-in by a closed office and was informed that they were ful and that all guests had checked in. I explained my plight that I made a reservation. they informed me that I had no reservation and they could not accomodate me. They blew me off like they didnt need my business. They were unable to find me another place to stay. I was stranded in OS 11PM at night with a party of 4 and no place to lay my head.
Afte arriving home to make a complaint, i was rudely informed that I should have called to confirm and that this was all my fault. Sounds like the business doesnt have their act together.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank jetboyerik
ggmanager, Manager at Grey Gull, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2008

As the Manager of the Grey Gull - I encourage any guest that wishes to book their own lodging from their personal computers, to follow up with the property within 24 hours if you have not heard from them. You should not assume that the reservation went through if you did not get a message that a confirmation would be sent to you or that the hotel will respond to you soon. Such was the case with this gentleman's reservation, only the person typing the information at the time seeking a reservation and reading the screens knows what the computer systems are telling you - central reservation systems are live 24/7 and ever changing, we researched back to the date he claimed he made his reservation and our system had no record of him, not to say that he didn't attempt to make one, rather that from his personal computer he was unsuccessful - therefore we did not even know of his existence, and having not contacted us or followed up when he didn't receive any confirmation he arrived at the property to find he did not have a reseveration for our busy 4th of July holiday period. Our clerk suggested we check him in for the night and that we would assist him further but he was agitated and refused our assistance. It is unfortunate that his plans for a fun stay were not to be, when a phone call or email may have helped ward off his wasted energies and efforts. The Grey Gull regrets that we did not know of his existence and that we were unable to assist him based on his own actions.

Reviewed 22 June 2008

Clean rooms, good service and friendly staff. Rooms weren't designed for quiet. We stayed on the ground floor and could hear every movement the floor above which woke us up two days in a row at 6AM - babies crying, dogs barking - you hear it all.

Biggest advantages: Pet friendly and right at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank BozoHoser
Reviewed 5 May 2008

The facility was clean and nicely appointed. The staff was very helpful and responded quickly when we asked for assistance. We stayed mid week during the off season and the facility was very quiet because there were few guests. It was a very nice place to get away for a quiet time at the beach, even though it rained most of the time we were there. We could watch the waves from our deck or even inside the unit. We chose a non-smoking and no pet unit. It appears that the management sticks to those requirements for such units.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2008

We have stayed at the GG several times over the past 13 yrs both with kids and pets and without. This is definitely a beach-style hotel, not fancy, but quite nice and relaxing.

Positives: The rooms are usually spacious and have kitchens equipped with amenities. The upper floors have views of the sand dunes and water, although it is a little ways back from the beach. The staff are usually nice and accomodating. The location is very good.

Negatives: The pool is outside and in plain view of every single room there and people watch you from their balconies only feet away. The water in the pool was very cold and uncomfortable.

We stay here when we can get a pet-friendly room which we are very glad they offer.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2008

MY boyfriend and I spent a Saturday night here over New Years Weekend. We booked a one bedroom with an ocean view on the 3rd floor. We got a great deal, $130 with all the taxes! We were travelling with my boyfriend's sister and her husband, they had an ocean front room (ground floor, by the pool) for $90 including tax. Not a bad deal at all!

The rooms are great, really nice little kitchens, everything is spic and span and clean. Big flat screen tvs in the rooms, and big bedrooms with tvs in them as well.

Our room had a little balcony and a gorgeous view of the beach. You can walk to the beach on from the hotel, there is a trail from the pool.

One of our favorite things was the wine & cheese reception they had on Saturday night. From 4-5pm, they had complimentary for guests, 3 different kinds of wine, cheese, salami, grapes, etc. It was a fun time to have a glass of wine and socialize with the other guests.

The pool and hot tub were fabulous. Pool is heated warm enough to swim in, even in December, not cold at all. The hot tub can fit about 5 adults, and is also very nice. We each took a drink to the hot tub and sat in there and socialized and drank and nobody gave us any trouble.

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the hotel. Check in time is 3 or 4pm too, and we got there at 8am, and our room was ready and they let us in. The customer service was great.

A few warnings about Ocean Shores:

Beware of the Shilo Inn's restaurant. It was so disgusting. Canned clam chowder and rude service. And $$$$$!!!

The Ocean Shores bowling alley was fun

Beware of Dugan's pizza. They literally put less than a handful of cheese on an entire large pizza, it was disgusting. Also, while we were there, a customer came in and said that he ordered a 6 pack of rootbeer that he never got, and they argued with him for 10 minutes, telling him he had no "proof" instead of giving him the rootbeer. What ever happened to the customer being right?

This sounds gross, but if you DO want pizza, the bowling alley has the best pizza in town. No joke. It's pretty damn good.

If you're going to rent a moped in the winter, bundle up!! Even if it's not freezing outside, with the wind and water on one of those mopeds you will freeze to death!

Have a great time! You will not be disappointed with the Grey Gull! If you are staying in the winter though, make sure and call them and verify their pool and hot tub aren't undergoing maintenance, since that is the star attraction.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank shankimball
Reviewed 12 September 2007

When we arrived in Ocean Shores I was a bit surprised - it was a bit like an old seaside town from the sixties! However it's quirkiness makes it unique - the same can be said for the GG!

If you want a modern, sterile box to stay in then this isn't for you. If however you want a large room, with a full kitchen, comfy sitting room, stunning ocean view and comfortable king size bed then I suggest you book room 503. Yes, the place is a little dated but the staff couldn't have been friendlier and our stay couldn't have been more pleasant.

There is internet access in the little lobby area and other amenities but you are there for the beach - which is just wonderful. Get up early and have the place to yourself (just remember to get the kite flying on the beach so you know where abouts to get back to the hotel through the grass and dunes!)

Our room was clean and well maintained. I wish now I had booked it for more than one night. And if you get the chance try a pizza from Duggan's - best pizza we've ever had - EVER!

Stayed: August 2007