“Grey Gull Good”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
WA
“Grey Gull Good”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The Grey Gull is actually condos that are individually owned. We have stayed here on two different occasions and have been well pleased both times. They are pet friendly ($15 per day, per pet fee). It was very relaxing...like your own little home away from home. Kitchens are actually kitchenettes, but nice. They have a heated pool and jacuzzi (which are outside) and a sauana which is located inside the hotel. They offer high speed internet, and computer access in their lobby. They also have have board games and movies to offer. Very family oriented. Within walking distance to a lot of shops. Will definintely stay there again if opportunity arises.

1 Thank mzV030

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Tacoma
Reviewed 10 August 2009

The Grey Gull was a very quiet, clean and comfortable accommodation. I took my 93 year old mother and she was very happy. Because all the rooms face the ocean, with the pool in the middle, it may get noisy at times, but we were there mid week and had no complaints. Each unit is individually owned and differ in decor. The one we used was a little dated, but comfortable. The staff is extremely pleasant, each person we encountered was very friendly. The kitchen was nicely stocked with all anyone would need. The path to the beach is well tended and an easy hike, although a little far for my mother but I was able to drive on the beach from Ocean Shores main access and she was able to enjoy the beach. The price was very reasonable. A few weeks later a friend and I went to Westport and rented a private duplex. We paid the same price as the Grey Gull plus an additional cleaning fee and the unit was not clean. I would return to the Grey Gull anytime!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sunloverTacoma
Alberta
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We only spent one night here on our quick trip around the Olympic Peninsula on our way to Oregon. We were running late so phoned ahead. The office is open until 10:00 pm. This is not a 24 hour establishment so you can't treat it like one. There is even a sign that says "Please Sleep". We rented a one bedroom unit with a murphy bed in the living room, thinking that it would be a reprieve from all sleeping in the same room. The murphy bed was only a double, so we had our teenage son on it which meant that we had to share the King with our daughter...kind of squishy. The room was lovely and clean overlooking the pool. There was a living room with a fireplace and TV. Seating was scarce with a small loveseat and 2 beautiful but impractical chairs. The kitchen was small but well stocked with full sized appliances. The bathroom was large and clean towels were plentiful. One thing that seemed strange was that even though the Inn was aware that 4 people and a dog were coming, the murphy bed was not made up. After an exhausting 9 hours in the car, one would think that they could at least have the bed made up. Anyway, I found sheets, pillows, and a blanket in the bedroom closet and had it made up while the kids let there energy out in the pool. This was the cleanest of all the rooms on our way down to Lincoln City, but I still had to take allergy medicine. Whatever animals have stayed here with their owners left a lot of dander behind. This is an expensive spot for an overnight stay. It deserves at least a 3 day weekend to be enjoyed. We were in such a rush that we didn't even get to see the ocean except when driving through.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My husband found this gem while on a trip to WA to celebrate our anniversary. That he found the BEST place we've stayed in all the 8 days we toured WA was a miracle! The Grey Gull is in such a (still) sleepy coastal town reminiscent of Rockport TX or the Jersey shore (pre-2001). We've stayed in a variety of hotels around WA from the Hotel Deca in Seattle to a cabin near Packwood to a (very decent) Best Western in Chehalis and the Grey Gull was the best overall in value. A one-bedroom "suite" with fully-functioning kitchen, a living room with contemporary clean undamaged furniture and a FIREPLACE, and a great king-sized bed and a nice bathroom not located in the bedroom. The best was the view of the ocean and beach, the dunes and the flickering lanterns of the "clammers"... I love my husband more for having found and surprised me with this trip from TX and for bringing me here to the Grey Gull. You would not know from the outside that this is such a great place to stay! and the variety of restaurants up the road make it hard to want to cook in our room! Thanks to the lovely owner... we've had a blast so far!

• Liked — A great value for location, setting, view, the town's amenities and the room
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanNell
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 12 July 2008

After making my reservation with them a month before my trip, I was greeted at the office late at night during check-in by a closed office and was informed that they were ful and that all guests had checked in. I explained my plight that I made a reservation. they informed me that I had no reservation and they could not accomodate me. They blew me off like they didnt need my business. They were unable to find me another place to stay. I was stranded in OS 11PM at night with a party of 4 and no place to lay my head.
Afte arriving home to make a complaint, i was rudely informed that I should have called to confirm and that this was all my fault. Sounds like the business doesnt have their act together.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank jetboyerik
ggmanager, Manager at Grey Gull, responded to this review, 27 September 2008
As the Manager of the Grey Gull - I encourage any guest that wishes to book their own lodging from their personal computers, to follow up with the property within 24 hours if you have not heard from them. You should not assume that the reservation went through if you did not get a message that a confirmation would be sent to you or that the hotel will respond to you soon. Such was the case with this gentleman's reservation, only the person typing the information at the time seeking a reservation and reading the screens knows what the computer systems are telling you - central reservation systems are live 24/7 and ever changing, we researched back to the date he claimed he made his reservation and our system had no record of him, not to say that he didn't attempt to make one, rather that from his personal computer he was unsuccessful - therefore we did not even know of his existence, and having not contacted us or followed up when he didn't receive any confirmation he arrived at the property to find he did not have a reseveration for our busy 4th of July holiday period. Our clerk suggested we check him in for the night and that we would assist him further but he was agitated and refused our assistance. It is unfortunate that his plans for a fun stay were not to be, when a phone call or email may have helped ward off his wasted energies and efforts. The Grey Gull regrets that we did not know of his existence and that we were unable to assist him based on his own actions.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Clean rooms, good service and friendly staff. Rooms weren't designed for quiet. We stayed on the ground floor and could hear every movement the floor above which woke us up two days in a row at 6AM - babies crying, dogs barking - you hear it all.

Biggest advantages: Pet friendly and right at the beach.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank BozoHoser
Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2008

The facility was clean and nicely appointed. The staff was very helpful and responded quickly when we asked for assistance. We stayed mid week during the off season and the facility was very quiet because there were few guests. It was a very nice place to get away for a quiet time at the beach, even though it rained most of the time we were there. We could watch the waves from our deck or even inside the unit. We chose a non-smoking and no pet unit. It appears that the management sticks to those requirements for such units.

• Liked — Beach view
  • Disliked — A little too far from the beach