“Friendly staff but some serious problems.”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Denver, Colorado
“Friendly staff but some serious problems.”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Very nice and helpful people who run the place. It's a family, so if you arrive after hours, like after 6pm, you'll need to call them to unlock the lobby door. They gave us a room that was already occupied, but were quick to give us a larger room with a kitchenete... we didn't need to cook, but appreciated the upgrade. The rooms smell musty and old. The sheets don't quite fit the mattress, so some time in the night I pulled them off and I was laying on the bare mattress. They might have a security problem, I found the sliding backdoor and the bathroom window unlocked, so check those before hitting the hay. They do not provide blow-dryers, so BYOB. The biggest problem was the shower, as soon as I pulled up the plunger to turn it on, a loud banging that could be heard three doors down continued until I turned it off... so no time for a peaceful shower. I did record the shower acting up on my iPhone and showed to their super as I was checking out, he said he would fix it ASAP. Like I said, the proprietors are real nice and gave us a good suggestion for breakfast 2 doors down from the hotel.

Room Tip: Check to make sure everything is working and flowing before unpacking for the night.
2 Thank BPvideo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We really enjoyed the experience at the hotel. The room was large. The kitchen in the room is really very convenient, especially for us. We actually prepared meal ourselves in the kitchen, which saved us a lot of money.

The location is great. It is on the golf course which is very nice already. It is by the beach and only minutes to the beach.

The staff were very friendly. They gave us all the information about the city and what to see.

We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: One bed room suites are great choice.
3 Thank Andrew B
SF, CA
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My family just got back from a 2 night stay. While the price was quite good, I would not really want to stay there again. Our room was quite musty, to the point we went out and bought air fresheners in order to be able to sleep. Opening up the room and allowing air to flow through for over an hour once we arrived was not enough.

We came with 2 pets, and it was great how easy it was to bring them with us. I assume the room we were in (1 BD) was typically used as a pet room. There were quite a few lighter spots on the dark carpet which I hope were from cleaning up after other pets.

As others have said, it doesn't have the best location, but there are so many beach access points nearby it was no problem. The kitchen pots/pans and knives were nice, although there were a limited number of plates and cutlery, so be prepared to wash after every single meal/snack.

2 Thank krheannonr
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My kids and I stayed for one night and it was an amazing time for all of us. The staff at the front desk were so friendly and helpful. We stayed in a one bedroom suite that was super clean and the fireplace was a bonus. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LynaeKelsey
Seattle
Reviewed 3 June 2012

First off a caveat: Without thinking I booked a room here and failed to realize that this Inn is one of the few that is NOT located on the beach side of the street, so be forewarned. That is MY mistake but it was a little disheartening to pull up to the place and realize that we would be across the street from the pounding surf.

Every time we spoke with Inn staff, whether it was on the phone making reservations or in person at the front desk, everyone we dealt with was very nice and that helps a lot. I even approached one of the housekeeping staff about getting some aluminum foil to put under our frozen pizza and she appreciated that we didn't want to mess up the oven. She even gave us a roll of paper towel left by a departing guest for us to use. Thanks!

Our suite appeared to be actually a converted condominium, including its own hot water heater....no problem with showers disturbed by neighbors' water usage. A nice living area with comfortable seating, fake electric fireplace and generous windows and sliding glass door led to a decent kitchen complete with newer non-stick cookware. A full bathroom across the hall was supplemented by another full bath in the bedroom area, which had its own entry door. Unfortunately this door was difficult to apply the security lock to [you have to lift hard on the handle to get it to engage] which turned into a slight problem when, on our second day, rogue maintenance staff opened the door without knocking....fortunately for us [and them] nothing was going on in the bedroom at the time, but that could have been disastrous....needless to say I immediately figured out how to lock that door.....

The bedroom was large with its own television and a decent closet, but the mattress was beginning to show some effects of age and wasn't in top condition which is why I didn't give the accommodations five stars.

Some people may find it unusual but I appreciated the signs both in the public areas and in the room reminding guests of 'Quiet Time' from 11pm to 8am....however the construction of our wing, which as I say appeared to be formerly condominiums, was good and sound isolation from outside was well damped. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable with a stay than being able to hear neighbors running water or worse through paper thin walls.

Good quality toiletries, complimentary gourmet pop corn and towels thick enough to dry your body off after a shower put this place solidly in the mid-range of accommodations. It was certainly no Hilton but neither was it Motel 6. If only it were located beach side it would be one of my favorite places to stay in Ocean Shores.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SeattleRafael
oceanshoresinn, Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
We appreciate your sincerity and are happy you came and had a good time here!! One thing we do here is train our staff to make the customers feel really comfortable here. It's not just a check in and check out without a smile, but here, all of our staff goes out of their way to make the guest feel at home. Certainly, an older condo/hotel, but, as this guest says, everything is kept up well, and some of us like the classics! A nice clean room is so nice to enjoy when you are on vacation. It's also unique that you have a choice from a basic, simple studio all the way to a 3 bedroom unit!! How many places offer that?! And a nice courtyard to stroll around in. Of course, across the street from the ocean, but did you know that even the ones on the ocean side, mostly have large dunes in front of them and the ocean also!! Not to say anything bad about our neighbors, but we just don't want you to expect, after heaping out mounds of extra hard earned cash, that you will be getting a Tahiti Ocean View!! Like this guest says, save the extra bucks, not only on the fact we are across the street (save $20 to $100), but most rooms have kitchens too, so you get to, as this guest did, pick up a pizza, or maybe your other favorite food, really, its a great way to either be romantic , or bring your family, and let's face it, it's getting more and more expensive to feed the family, or even your better half, and when you can stop by the local grocer and pick up a bag of groceries, some beer or wine or a six pack of soda, well you know how it is!! So come on, join the crowds that are discovering us like this guest, check us out!
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

Is an older building but very clean.the money you save you can buy your meals for the day.the pool is great and heated.the place is pet friendly and you can walk your dog on the golf course right behind the building.it worked out just fine for us.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank jimmyjames511
Kenmore, Washington, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I purchased a deal with Groupon for Ocean Shores Inn and Suites for two nights. I have never been to this hotel before and was pretty happy here. The Inn itself is older, but it was clean and the one bedroom unit we got was very large, with a full kitchen and two bathrooms. There was plenty of hot water for showers. The couch pulled out also for another bed. I loved having the kitchen, but was disappointed that there was no paper towels or napkins provided. Someone said in another review there was popcorn provided, but we just had an empty popcorn bowl on the table. We did get a bottle of wine when checked in and that was a nice treat! The pull out couch wasn't so comfortable for my sister, so we asked for and got 4 blankets to pad it a bit, which helped. Anything we needed or wanted the staff (Kristin and April) attended to immediately! They were so nice, friendly and considerate, it was 5 star service! My pet peeve was not having a TV channel listing card in the room, so it was frustating to figure out what was what, after spending all day on the beach and in town. The Inn itself is so close to town and all the action- we didn't have a view of the ocean, but the central location to everything more than made up for that. I was very happy here and would recommend it highly for a low-cost alternative for staying at the beach! I plan to stay here again next time I go to Ocean Shores.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends