“Never Again (Ever)! Flea Bites in a non-pet room”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were so excited about spending my birthday at Ocean Shores for the very first time...lured there by a seemingly great deal on Amazon Local. We paid $109 for two nights. Upon check-in, we were were optimistic about the weekend, the hotel and the room. The linoleum in the bathroom was bubbled from apparent water damage from the bathtub (the calking was mostly missing along the tub). The bathroom was small but functional. The dead bug on the bathroom counter was at least pre-dead, so it was nice to not have had to kill it I guess.
The free WIFI wouldn't give us access so we couldn't web search where to eat (girl at reception said the hotel was completely booked, so there wasn't enough access for all the guests). We asked for a dinner recommendation and were pointed towards a local dive for exceptionally mediocre and expensive food. Back at the hotel after dinner, we got into swimsuits to check out the indoor pool we'd been so excited about. The kids immediately joined the other 15 people (all from one group) already in the tiny hot pool/hot-tub hybrid. The crowd was rowdy so my husband and I sat close by. We noticed the drains around the pool deck were not working. There was a brown slime floating around in the standing water on the pool deck along with a few previously worn band-aids. The only comfort was that the chlorine inside the pool was strong.
After showers, we went to bed but noises made sleep difficult for all of us. At 6:15, we gave up on sleep and sat on the couch where I received 5 flea bites/welts. We finally were able to get internet access, where we found the hotel rates for the weekend were $45/night (almost $10/night less than we paid for our voucher).
We quickly got dressed and crossed the street to the Shilo Inn for breakfast. Before we were done with our meal, we checked in and salvaged our weekend.

Room Tip: Choose A Different Hotel for your health.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristol J

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had it not been Easter weekend, and most of the hotels were booked up, we would have moved on, but we had pre-booked, so didn't have that option!
The first room we were given had a double bed in it (too small for us) so had to pay an additional $45 to upgrade to a room with two beds. The fridge smelled of clams, the room was overall very dated and dirty, with broken tile, cracked crockery, a fireplace that didn't work and burnt out light bulbs. One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank horatio41
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. The Ellis's would like to thank you for having such a humorous sense of humor. It made us feel like we already knew you. Our two day stay was awesome, and the room change made it even better. The only thing I would love to see is better living room furniture. The bed and pillows were perfect. We are looking to visit again in July with our family. Thanks again for being you. I'm sure our children will have a good time.
Respectfully,
Mr. & Mrs. Ellis

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonda E
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with my boyfriend and our son's. Hotel is an older hotel so the rooms were dated. The room we were in wasn't as clean as I would have liked it. Behind the lamps on the side of the beds and on the TV stand was really dusty. The room could have been vacuumed more and moped more in the restroom. Its one of those hotels were you dare not to take off your socks and if you have them wear your slippers. My 2 kids slept on the pull out couch which had a very flimsy mattress. You can feel the bars under the mattress on your back. The room was spacious. Funny....the shower head was really low even for me and I"m 5'2" so my boyfriend and elder son really had to bend down low to get water on them when they took a shower. The front desk gals were very friendly. Overall it was an OK hotel. Probably won't stay here again....just not the kind of hotel I like to stay at when on vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna P
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We used a voucher for this two night stay in a King suite room. The room was spacious with 2 full baths, a king bed and queen sofa bed which was more than enough us and our granddaughter. Adequate kitchen with full size fridge, microwave, Keurig & small stove. Downside - the unit or motel for that matter could use a major remodel. Worn carpet and furniture, not sure how often they vacuum cause there were crumbs under the ottoman and in the pull out sofa - yuck! The bed was comfortable but the bedspread was questionable. Wore house slippers the entire time we were in the room. They had flat panel TVs but limited channels and you has To rent a DVD player if you happened to bring movies for the kids. Don't think we'd return to this motel, there's many more to choose from but I guess you get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank holoholokai
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was looking for an inexpensive motel in Ocean Shores and the ratings were good for this motel. The price was certainly right, but there were enough annoying things about the room that I wouldn't necessarily recommend the motel. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed the rooms, at least my room. I think the owners and managers should be required to stay in the rooms for a couple days to find out where the problems are. There were 2 queen beds, a dresser with large screen TV, another dresser with a tiny refrigerator and coffee maker on it and then there was a table and chairs. That took up the entire room. There was no closet or even a bar to hang up clothes. There was no stand to put your suitcase on and not any floor space left to even put your suitcase anywhere! The bathroom on the other hand was huge, in floor space anyway, but the sink had no counter (plenty of room for it), the toilet was way at the other end of the bathroom. There wasn't a single shelf or vanity to put anything on or in. The only thing I could think of was that it was a wheel chair accessible room, but it certainly would have been awkward for a wheel chair in the main room. So not sure what the designer was thinking! The refrigerator was tiny and the freezer section would not hold my frozen dinners, only one ice pack. And it was so loud, I had to shut it off at night to sleep. The hair dryer didn't work, the outlet itself didn't work even when all the reset buttons were pushed. When I went to use the microwave it didn't work either. When I looked, it wasn't plugged in. But, it only had about a 2 foot cord and it wouldn't reach the only power strip or outlet anywhere. I guess no one had been using it. So had to get another power strip to plug into the power strip already there to use it. The front desk women were very helpful and very nice. Now that I have finished complaining (when you spend more than one night in a room, the details count!) I have to say that the beds were so comfortable, the best bed I slept in on my whole trip. The pillows were heavenly. Having had 2 cervical fusions on my neck, pillows are important and these pillows were so soft and supportive that I found the brand and will order some for myself at home! The room was clean and the location fine and it was fairly quiet. So I'd say it was a mixed bag which is why I gave it a 3.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com