“Unfortunately not what we expected”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked this hotel on hotels.com and I must admit we get a really cheap price but no where did it say that when we arrived we would get a room that only had a double bed with no room on either side for a bed side table, so no clock, no phone, nothing other than a bathroom and a bed. I was very upset as were there for a weekend away from real life. We should have suspected something when our room number ended with "A". It was like they had converted a storage room into a bedroom. I went down to the front desk and asked if they had a room with a fridge because I understood their room all had fridges. The staff at the front desk were very polite and blamed Expedia for the "false advertising" of the room.. For $20 additional per night she came up with what she said was their best room- two bedroom/two bathroom suite with a kitchen and living and dining room - it was right next door to the original room - it think the original room we had was originally part of this suite.

The hotel does need some tender loving care - the beds seemed to be in the wrong rooms. The king size bed was in the room with the ensuite but was so close to the walls, my husband banged this head on the wall each time he got out of bed. I could barely fit down my side - I had to put my slipper sideways in order for them to fit between the bed and the wall and I only have tiny feet!!! the other room had a queen size bed and a lot of room around the bed but the bathroom was all the way through the living area to so not convenient for middle of the night rushes to the bathroom. The beds were very soft I woke up with a bad back and unable to walk the next day - three days later I am still suffering. They were so soft that they felt like water beds. When my husband moved in the night I woke up as the mattress moved with each movement.

There were missing tiles on the bathroom floors, and the paint jobs left something to be desired.

Having said all this the front desk staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the toiletries were really nice- maybe provide less fancy toiletries and put that money towards a little updating. And I appreciated the typed sheet with the TV channels listings.

Room Tip: There is no beach view from any of the rooms as this hotel is on the wrong side of the street and th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roseanne H

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got the room for $49 a night! The rooms are a little older but it was huge! We had a separate living area from the bedroom. It had a kitchen with a full size fridge, sink & oven. The balcony was huge, but they don't allow BBQing. There is a small ocean view between the hotels that are on the ocean side. Nice sunsets between hotels. We walked to the beach from this hotel, it's a pretty long walk. We were able to call for a free shuttle ride to the Casino. No restaurants on site but there are some within walking distance.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or room service. There are places within walking distance to hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denised69
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were so excited about spending my birthday at Ocean Shores for the very first time...lured there by a seemingly great deal on Amazon Local. We paid $109 for two nights. Upon check-in, we were were optimistic about the weekend, the hotel and the room. The linoleum in the bathroom was bubbled from apparent water damage from the bathtub (the calking was mostly missing along the tub). The bathroom was small but functional. The dead bug on the bathroom counter was at least pre-dead, so it was nice to not have had to kill it I guess.
The free WIFI wouldn't give us access so we couldn't web search where to eat (girl at reception said the hotel was completely booked, so there wasn't enough access for all the guests). We asked for a dinner recommendation and were pointed towards a local dive for exceptionally mediocre and expensive food. Back at the hotel after dinner, we got into swimsuits to check out the indoor pool we'd been so excited about. The kids immediately joined the other 15 people (all from one group) already in the tiny hot pool/hot-tub hybrid. The crowd was rowdy so my husband and I sat close by. We noticed the drains around the pool deck were not working. There was a brown slime floating around in the standing water on the pool deck along with a few previously worn band-aids. The only comfort was that the chlorine inside the pool was strong.
After showers, we went to bed but noises made sleep difficult for all of us. At 6:15, we gave up on sleep and sat on the couch where I received 5 flea bites/welts. We finally were able to get internet access, where we found the hotel rates for the weekend were $45/night (almost $10/night less than we paid for our voucher).
We quickly got dressed and crossed the street to the Shilo Inn for breakfast. Before we were done with our meal, we checked in and salvaged our weekend.

Room Tip: Choose A Different Hotel for your health.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristol J
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had it not been Easter weekend, and most of the hotels were booked up, we would have moved on, but we had pre-booked, so didn't have that option!
The first room we were given had a double bed in it (too small for us) so had to pay an additional $45 to upgrade to a room with two beds. The fridge smelled of clams, the room was overall very dated and dirty, with broken tile, cracked crockery, a fireplace that didn't work and burnt out light bulbs. One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank horatio41
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. The Ellis's would like to thank you for having such a humorous sense of humor. It made us feel like we already knew you. Our two day stay was awesome, and the room change made it even better. The only thing I would love to see is better living room furniture. The bed and pillows were perfect. We are looking to visit again in July with our family. Thanks again for being you. I'm sure our children will have a good time.
Respectfully,
Mr. & Mrs. Ellis

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonda E
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with my boyfriend and our son's. Hotel is an older hotel so the rooms were dated. The room we were in wasn't as clean as I would have liked it. Behind the lamps on the side of the beds and on the TV stand was really dusty. The room could have been vacuumed more and moped more in the restroom. Its one of those hotels were you dare not to take off your socks and if you have them wear your slippers. My 2 kids slept on the pull out couch which had a very flimsy mattress. You can feel the bars under the mattress on your back. The room was spacious. Funny....the shower head was really low even for me and I"m 5'2" so my boyfriend and elder son really had to bend down low to get water on them when they took a shower. The front desk gals were very friendly. Overall it was an OK hotel. Probably won't stay here again....just not the kind of hotel I like to stay at when on vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna P
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We used a voucher for this two night stay in a King suite room. The room was spacious with 2 full baths, a king bed and queen sofa bed which was more than enough us and our granddaughter. Adequate kitchen with full size fridge, microwave, Keurig & small stove. Downside - the unit or motel for that matter could use a major remodel. Worn carpet and furniture, not sure how often they vacuum cause there were crumbs under the ottoman and in the pull out sofa - yuck! The bed was comfortable but the bedspread was questionable. Wore house slippers the entire time we were in the room. They had flat panel TVs but limited channels and you has To rent a DVD player if you happened to bring movies for the kids. Don't think we'd return to this motel, there's many more to choose from but I guess you get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2014