“From Bad to Worse”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We purchased a groupon without thoroughly researching the property, which I will not do again. Before we arrived I contacted the hotel to ask about upgrading from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom, the staff was very helpful and promptly answered my questions. When we arrived and entered our room I noticed it was old and in need of renovations, but at first glance seemed ok. Until we tried to exit our room... we realized that we were locked in! The door had malfunctioned forcing my husband to climb out of the window. We notified the office and they were able to fix the problem. We then discovered that the toilet only flushed half of the time and when it did, it ran for hours. The refrigerator made an awful sound all day and night. The kitchen was not stocked with anything needed to make a complete meal and what really pushed it over the edge were the fleas that I found in the beds! This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had, forcing us to check out after the first night. I would have said that the only thing this place has going for it is the staff, but I've changed my mind even on that. After requesting a refund for the night we didn't stay, they offered me another two night stay. After declining and requesting my money back, there has been no response.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
19  Thank RaeBan30

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here in a pet-friendly room for two night! Great views over the Ocean and land. Lovey patio for the dog to relax. Friend used the pool and Sauna - she loved it. On-site restaurant was reasonable and plenty of variety to choose from. A very pleasant stay here!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Helen1977890
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Had a Groupon deal so stayed 3 nights in June. It was a well maintained property with some obvious upgrades in the works. Apparently there are new owners who are putting the effort into this property which it deserves. Bordering a golf course, it is quiet and not in the middle of any touristy neighborhoods. I brought my dig and stayed in a pet friendly room. Worked out perfectly. The rooms are clean and if you upgrade to a suite, as my friends did, you will have a balcony and view of the sunsets on the west side. Oh, and there is an outdoor and indoor pool. He pool was warm although the area could use a 'refresh' and get the sauna working. I would recommend this place and will go back.

Room Tip: Upstairs on west side or an end unit in the pet-friendly rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We got a deal,two for one, and booked a suite. The place is a bit dated but clean and much less then most here at Ocean Shores. TV in both main room and the bedroom, a full size fridge with freezer, small 4 burner stove and oven. It had a microwave, small two cup coffemaker, pots and pans and a bottled water dispenser. It was clean and the staff were ready to please.

Room Tip: our room was on the second floor facing south and we could hear road noise. ask for a room in back t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jimandsusan
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Bought a groupon for 2 nights stay, Sun-Thursday. Stayed Sun and Monday nights. this was during the off season, so not a lot of people around. The hotel was fabulous. Large room w/ separate bedroom and a full kitchen, thought the bathroom was a bit strange. It seemed like they had converted a hallway for the bathroom. Real long and narrow. Quiet, but all the way in the back. Carpet was a bit worn, but for the price you could not beat it. Staff was awesome and very friendly with good ideas and recommendations for restaurants and things to do. Gave them 4 stars only because of the carpet and weirdness of the bathroom. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank walkersandlin
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked this hotel on hotels.com and I must admit we get a really cheap price but no where did it say that when we arrived we would get a room that only had a double bed with no room on either side for a bed side table, so no clock, no phone, nothing other than a bathroom and a bed. I was very upset as were there for a weekend away from real life. We should have suspected something when our room number ended with "A". It was like they had converted a storage room into a bedroom. I went down to the front desk and asked if they had a room with a fridge because I understood their room all had fridges. The staff at the front desk were very polite and blamed Expedia for the "false advertising" of the room.. For $20 additional per night she came up with what she said was their best room- two bedroom/two bathroom suite with a kitchen and living and dining room - it was right next door to the original room - it think the original room we had was originally part of this suite.

The hotel does need some tender loving care - the beds seemed to be in the wrong rooms. The king size bed was in the room with the ensuite but was so close to the walls, my husband banged this head on the wall each time he got out of bed. I could barely fit down my side - I had to put my slipper sideways in order for them to fit between the bed and the wall and I only have tiny feet!!! the other room had a queen size bed and a lot of room around the bed but the bathroom was all the way through the living area to so not convenient for middle of the night rushes to the bathroom. The beds were very soft I woke up with a bad back and unable to walk the next day - three days later I am still suffering. They were so soft that they felt like water beds. When my husband moved in the night I woke up as the mattress moved with each movement.

There were missing tiles on the bathroom floors, and the paint jobs left something to be desired.

Having said all this the front desk staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the toiletries were really nice- maybe provide less fancy toiletries and put that money towards a little updating. And I appreciated the typed sheet with the TV channels listings.

Room Tip: There is no beach view from any of the rooms as this hotel is on the wrong side of the street and th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roseanne H
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got the room for $49 a night! The rooms are a little older but it was huge! We had a separate living area from the bedroom. It had a kitchen with a full size fridge, sink & oven. The balcony was huge, but they don't allow BBQing. There is a small ocean view between the hotels that are on the ocean side. Nice sunsets between hotels. We walked to the beach from this hotel, it's a pretty long walk. We were able to call for a free shuttle ride to the Casino. No restaurants on site but there are some within walking distance.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or room service. There are places within walking distance to hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple