“Best Tribal hotel/casino so far!”

Quinault Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 2 June 2013

The Quinault Beach Resort is the latest stop in my ongoing effort to visit every tribal property in Washington State and has many things to recommend it. The rooms are well-appointed and good sized. Gas fireplaces add a nice touch to rooms that are cozy, tastefully-decorated and uncluttered. Beds are a little soft for my taste but comfortable. Dual sinks are separate from the toilet/bathroom area is great for multiple persons simultaneously getting ready to begin the day or cleaning up before bed. A small refrigerator allows for keeping your beverages cold and a good-sized closet provides more than enough space to hang your clothes. Coffee service is delivered by Keurig coffee makers with the help of Starbucks coffee, complementary bottle water is provided in-room and the linens are top notch.

The lobby is comfortable with several chairs and sofas and includes a small Starbucks coffee bar and we enjoyed a nice salmon meal at Emily’s, the resort’s restaurant. The pool and spa are adequate and I haven’t experienced the spa.

The property’s location on the Pacific Ocean is its greatest draw! Miles of open beaches and associated activities make this a destination with something for everyone. And the nearby city of Ocean Shores offers many restaurants and shops.

On the downside, during the last remodel full-sized fully-opening windows have been replaced but a smaller window still provides for limited air circulation. And while Wi-Fi service is free, my traveling companion had to journey to the lobby to obtain a serviceable signal. His room was in the extreme north section of the top floor while mine was in the southern section and I had excellent access. I guess location is everything! And the 11:00 am checkout time (a personal pet peeve) is alive and well at Quinault Resort. The property is beginning to show its age: Numerous scuff marks in the halls and dings in the woodwork in the rooms need attention. You should skip the Weds night Prime Rib buffet, unremarkable compared to comparable buffets served at other tribal properties. Emily’s is a good alternative or sample other eateries in Ocean Shores instead.

The casino is quite smokey but offers the usual assortment of slot machines (sans true video poker and video keno) and table games with $3-$5 minimums and usual rules. Friendly personnel are in evidence in all areas of the property.

The shortcomings are minor and do not preclude from me giving the property at 5 star rating and ranking it at the very top of tribal properties visited thus far!

Room Tip: For you first visit, especially in clear weather, spring for an ocean view room. Also, the house lab...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WilliTheKid
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you for your very thorough review! We appreciate you taking the time to let us, and other guests, know about your experience. We are dedicated to providing a great getaway for our guests, and your feedback is essential to improving daily!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The hotel was nice enough. The room was comfortably sized with a modern decor. The hallways leading to our room seemed seriously beat up, lacking in maintenance. However, our disappointment was really concerning the food. We opted for the "buffet" sight unseen and expected it to be similar to what all of the other WA and OR casinos offered. Unfortunately, we paid for entrance outside of the conference room that was converted for the buffet use. It was $15.95 each. When we entered the room, we found folding tables covered with white linens. There were 3 rows of buffet food - 1 dedicated to deserts, 1 dedicated to carving station for a prime rib, and the last for all other options. The other options included a bowl of mixed greens for salad that appeared exactly like out of a bag, 3 dressing choices -- none of which were blue cheese. There were no sunflower seeds, cheese, or croutons, but there was a large bowl of sliced tomatoes. The main dish options were pork verde (my said was okay), a chicken in red sauce (Mexican flavored) but it was quite rubbery, the red roasted potatoes were dry, the rice pilaf (which was Spanish rice) was also dry. We didn't touch the tray of muscles, but saw many around us enjoying them. The deserts were a major disappointment. We left 3 things we tried uneaten -- an apple dumpling, a lemon bar, a chocolate brownie. Not good. The best thing can say about the buffet was the servers were pleasant. This is the last time I go to a buffet without a walk through first. We saw what appeared to be well prepared food in the bar/cafe, but didn't sample ourselves.

1  Thank Oceanteej

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we do appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience! Our Prime Time Buffet is very popular, which is why we have begun serving this in the Great Hall. I will be sure to share your comments with our Food & Beverage Staff, to ensure that our high standards for food quality are being met consistently. I sincerely apologize that it was not on the night that you visited us!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Quinault Beach Resort is currrently ranked/rated #13 in popularity (out of a total of 15 properties) in Ocean Shores, Washington by the Trip Advisor community for a reason - some of the luster has come off this once sparkling jewel.

We have stayed here many times over the years, and the Quinault Beach Resort used to be the premier property in Ocean Shores in my opinion. It's still very nice in a number or ways (location, proximity to beach, views, fireplaces in rooms, comfortable beds, nice linens, and clean) but it seems to be slipping in some key areas. Hopefully they will 'pull it out of the ditch' before it deteriorates further.

Emily's Restraunt, the on-site restraunt, used to be stellar. We've enjoyed some great dinners here, and the prices were reasonable. This past visit we went there for breakfast and were so disappointed that we canceled our plans to have dinner there. The bacon was undercooked, limp and greasy. The toast was not even slightly discolored from it's original white, limp. The bread used was sliced so thin that it lacked any substance. The coffee was bitter. The hasbrowns were small in portion and undercooked. As a result, as I mentioned, we canceled dinner plans. The steaks all run in excess of $30 each and that doesn't include a salad, so we didn't want to take the chance.

Quinalt used to feature an amazing Sunday brunch buffet - the best I've seen. We would on occasion make the 2 hour drive to Ocean Shores just for this alone. It has since been discontinued, and replaced by an omlette bar.

The casino floor is cold. In several areas the ventilation system vents blow cold air down on the players. I was forced to retrieve my outdoor coat from our room just to be comfortable. Looking around the casino area I noticed most players in hooded sweatshirts, jackets or sweaters. I understand the need for adequate ventialtion in a smoking area, however there must be a better way.

The adjustable shower head in our room was frozen up solid and not adjustable. So much so that the preceeding guest in our room had inadvertently unscrewed the shower head from the tube trying to adjust it. The caused a substantial leak when we went to use it. Fortunately we were able to tighten it up enough to make it work ok.

The air conditioning unit in our room was so noisy that it made it difficult to sleep. Our 2nd floor room was directly above the hotel laundry, which necessitated we use the air conditioning (the room was warm and humid).

I am a smoker. Without discussing the merits of this (and sure, I'd like to quit) the reality is that I do...and one of the seasons I go to an indian casino is to gamble, and to enjoy one of the last, if not THE last place in Washington State where one can sit down indoors and smoke. I always try to be considerate of others, and if I'm sitting next to a non-smoking player I simply wait. Anyway, the cigarettes in the gift shop are about $7 while they charge $10 for them in the machine for after-hours cigarette sales when the gift shop is closed. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if cigarettes are a profitable product at $7 when you are paying the overhead of the wages of the clerk to sell them to you, then $7 should be ok from a machine that requires no staffing. While it's a small complaint, it's legitimate in my opinion. If a casino's profit margin is so thin that they must squeeze and extra $3 out of smokers during those hours that the gift shop is closed, something is wrong. It's simply reflective of a philosophy that they have you as a captive patron (the nearest store is a fair distance away).

The slots were tight, but that's not really an issue for me. That's why it's called gambling. It's entertainment for me, and I'm happy to 'donate' to the machines. Just don't nickel-and-dime me for cigs.

We had a hamburger at the bistro. Prices were fair for a burger, if it had some meat on it. The burger patty was about the equivalent thickness and size of ONE of the 2 patties you get on a Big Mac. The fries were extra. No thanks, won't order one again.

The walls in the hallway near the elevators were chewed up, I suspect from housekeeping service carts and/or luggage carts. Not a big deal I suppose, but reflective of hotel management's lack of attention to maintenance. The property is overall very clean and the decor excellent, but this first impression when one is heading to your room after check-in makes you wonder if they are letting things slip.

Let me say that no single one complaint I have shared here is a big deal, but when viewed in total, something's not right, and Quinault Beach Resort is heading in the wrong direction. If you look, I'm alsoo not prone to giving negative reviews (read my 13 others and you'll see I tend to be positive about everywhere we stay).

It used to be one had to book a room here well in advance, especially on a weekend. Imagine my surprise when on a Friday heading into a holiday weekend there were plenty of rooms available at Quinault Beach Resort...view rooms and non-view rooms. That tells a story in itself.

In summary, Quinault is still a very nice property, and yes, I'd stay there again. It wasn't a bad experience per se, but compared to what it used to be, it's just not quite as special as it once was.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 2nd floor, non-view room above the laundry. For best wi-fi, ask for a room nea...
3  Thank esarsea

What an incredibly well written review! We appreciate your honesty, as it allows us to improve the experience here at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, as well as to allow other travelers to select a property that will be most beneficial to them.

Our property does have some wear and tear, as we are entering our 14th year of business. This is something that we must constantly address, and we have been doing so over the last couple of years. It is a long process, but one that we are very dedicated to. We have completed a complete exterior remodel, as well as updating the casino floor and replacing the ventilation systems across the resort. We have projects scheduled for completion prior to the summer months, as well as larger updates that will be accomplished over the winter, so be sure to come by and check us out again!

Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

I realized there would be smoking allowed on this property but they must not have a very good filtration system? The smoke bothered my asthma and allergies so bad I couldn't wait to get home the next morning. Never again!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank tiffx1
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

I'm so sorry that you had problems with the smoke in the casino! There are times that it is concentrated in one area and it takes some time to clear the air, but we do have a brand new ventilation system that handles the air quite well for the most part.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

This location is a gem. I don't know of any other place that has no dwellings (except the one I am staying in) as far as the eye can see on the coast of this country. Sure there are state parks and National Seashores, but they don't have a hotel on them. It is very special.
The rooms are pleasant and the fireplace is a unique touch, but the way it is situated it blocks the oceanview out your window. It was clean, and we didn't see any maintenance issues.
They instituted room service since we were there last, and the prices are very reasonable! My husband's breakfast steak was perfectly cooked. They don't have extended hours, so no late night munchies, best to come prepared. It took a little long to get breakfast, but our server called fron desk for us to give us a little extra time on check out. That was a nice service.
The casino is small and does not have the latest and greatest. We like that it is not huge, it's easy to stay in touch while playing slots. Beverage service is also good. We had an awesome winning night, and that makes everything better!

Room Tip: Do get oceanview.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give your review of Quinault Beach Resort and Casino! We really appreciate your comments and are thrilled that you have found it a great getaway. We are quite proud of our ocean views, and that we are as close to the beach as you can get without getting your toes sandy. Hurry back soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

We didnt get our room cleaned the 2 days we were there. That was supposed to be our Christmas getaway. We had stayed at the hotel several different times and loved it, BUT I had a separate purse that u kept my membership card and casino money in. I had spent all of the money,but I left my membership card in the purse (it was a really small purse) used for the casino. The maid had to come into the room and get that purse.
Big Deal lol. All they got was a lousy membership card. My dad passed away the next day so I didn't notice it til we got back from Texas.
Hope they enjoyed my membership card and my $5 purse!!!!!
Otherwise... I love the trips to the ocean!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank tjq612
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

I'm not really sure what happened there, but I do apologize for any inconvenience! And I'm so sorry to hear about your father, our condolences to you.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

we go razor clam digging every time , & nothing beats them.friendly excellent service before & after the dig. we recoommend it highly.they give each clam digger five dollars just for showinf the license.,two dollar breakfast around the clock,a four dollar tentopping omelette sunday morning what a deal also fun to sit by the fireplace and go into the pool and jacuzzi.live music in the bar.

Room Tip: they're all good .
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Isn't clam digging the best?! We are watching the clam diggers out the back as I type...and they are all coming back in to take advantage of the Clam Digger's offer that you mentioned. So glad you enjoy it, and that you have found Quinault Beach Resort and Casino to be a great place to stay! Hurry back!