“Comfortable, not luxurious, but proximity to the ocean makes up for a lot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quinault Beach Resort and Casino

Quinault Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Seattle
“Comfortable, not luxurious, but proximity to the ocean makes up for a lot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

My partner and I just got back from four days at the Quinault Beach Resort. We had a room on the 3rd floor, ocean view (an extra ten dollars a night, but come on, who wants a view of the parking lot when the Pacific Ocean is right there on the other side of the hotel??). Overall, we were pretty comfortable here. Loved the ocean, loved the tides, loved the sound of the surf, and one morning I woke up at 7 am, went to look out at the water, and there was a rainbow that looked like it terminated right there on the beach! Awesome!!!

I do have a number of relatively small complaints -- which, when added up, make for a less than perfect vacation -- but nothing major. No safe in the room. No microwave in the room. The fireplace has to be re-turned on every 30 minutes, and the knob is on the far wall opposite the beds. Annoying! but I suppose they realized you're not going to get out of bed too many times just to recrank the fireplace, so it's probably saving them money. The bed was comfortable, although the sheets were a little overbleached, a little sort of crunchy, rustly. Not too bad, though.

My biggest complaint about the place is the fact that your dining choices are very limited, and the resort is quite a ways away from any other dining spots. Ocean Shores itself is about 3 miles down the road, so you're a bit captive unless you want to make that drive. The dining choices are (1) a greasy, really awful little "cafe" on the floor of the casino, where you can get truly bad grilled sandwiches and desperately awful French fries; (2) the bar, which we didn't try because it was loud, dark and smoky; (3) Emily's, the "upscale" dining room, which actually has a very good deal from 4pm - 6pm (if you don't mind feeling like the Seinfelds) called the Sunset Special or something like that. It's basically a simple dinner (cheeseburger and fries, or a small steak and mashed potatoes, or a tiny piece of salmon with rice) for under $5...or (4) room service. Room service is spotty - sometimes it was good, once we were overcharged by about $10. Twice I ordered ice cream (not on the menu) but the third night I was told they don't deliver ice cream because "it melts before it gets to the room". Weird as I 'd had it the night before and the night before that, and no problem. But anyway, enough about the food.

The casino is small and smelly, but I had fun. Lots of machines, a few tables, and very very smoky. If you're not a smoker, it can be punishing. Also, in the evenings the band is way way too loud, which is funny because most of the gamblers were older, and couldn't have cared less about live music.

The swimming pool was always packed with kids, so I never went in. It did look like a pretty good size, though, so if you don't mind kids doing cannonballs all around you, maybe you can get your laps in. The exercise area is TINY, just a few machines and weights, but it was ok for running on the treadmill.

Back to the rooms...I liked the room arrangement, there was a small table with two chairs, and an easy chair. However, there were pretty bad stains all over most of the furniture and the floor. Unsightly to say the least. The day we arrived our room stunk really badly of old cigarettes, despite the sign declaring it a "nonsmoking room". However, the next day, when we went out, housekeeping did a very good job with the Febreze, and the smell was greatly diminished. I didn't have a problem with it after that.
Free wifi worked great in our room, by the way.

Upshot is that I do recommend the Quinault Beach Resort. Just keep your expectations low, because really the whole place could use with a thorough remodel and maybe a good deep cleaning. Oh, and don't sign for room service til you make sure the bill is correct.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank VisitorTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
montesano, wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

A few days ago we called to check on Quinualt's policy concerning using coupons from other Washington Casinos.
Apparently we talked to a manager who advised us that
1) yes, Quinault Casino did so.
2), yes, they would honor one coupon per customer per visit.
Yesterday, Wednesday, April 8, we visited the casino.
The phone conversation and the reality were two totally different experiences!
1) Checking in at the “Q” card desk was a rude/awakening experience … there was a short line and the two receptionists could hardly have cared less, been more bored, and even discourteous when asked where we went to exchange the coupons.
2) We were bluntly told that it was “either/or” … either use the Quinault coupons or the coupon from the other casino. She appeared insulted that we had asked/told to read the card which did not mention the “either/or” policy.
3) We were told that if we tried to used two/both coupons that we would be “kicked-off” the mailing list.
We went and used the Quinault coupons.
Then, deciding the buffet line was longer than we wanted to wait,
we chose the deli. That was a mistake!
1) Two ladies were working there. The apparently “older” of the two was rude/could have cared less whether we ordered or not, made no effort to smile or be helpful … and, generally could have been the “poster-child” for a funeral home.
2) The other lady who did the cooking at least looked pleasant.
Did they care?
1)They have great views.
2)Their buffet is amongst the best on this side of the state.
3) Their customer service is amongst the worst we have experienced.
4) The feeling you get is after you leave your money, leave ... as you are a bother to us.
Apparently not needing repeat customer visits, not caring about a “come-back- soon” experience, they make little to no effort.
So we will “kick” ourselves off their mailing list and redirect our business toward the several other available venues at Little Creek/Lucky Eagle/Red Wind/Emerald Queen/Muckleshoot/Snoqualmie … who value return customers a bit more.
We returned our "Q" cards and unused "Q" coupons and will not be returning to where we felt unwelcome.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Herman2010

Travellers are raving about these Ocean Shores hotels

Snohomish County, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

This is my 10th year coming to Ocean Shores for spring break. For the past seven years, we've stayed at the Quinault. A friendly speedy check in has never been their strong point. Be prepared for long lines waiting to check in and front desk personnel that seem rushed and hurried. Because of the attached casino and the fact that this is located on an indian reservation where smoking indoors is legal, the lobby smells of cigarette smoke. The non smoking rooms and halls on upper floors don't have that odor. Don't get a smoking room if you're not a smoker. We did that one year and it was awful. I had a terrible headache from being in the room. This is truly the closest hotel to the beach, a wooden boardwalk takes you right to the sand. There is a small stream you have to cross to get to the sand, they usually have a makeshift bridge across this. They also have a wonderful pool, large by hotel standards, with floor to ceiling windows that look out over the ocean. Since I'm traveling with children, I spend a lot of time at the pool and it's nice to have a view. They also have a hot tub which the kids enjoy warming up in. There is a small exercise room off the pool area with a few cardio machines, a universal weight machine, a television, and large windows for looking at the ocean. The rooms are standard, with a fake fireplace, sliding glass doors that can open to let in ocean breezes(with no balcony, just a fence type railing), a small fridge and small table. It would be nice if they had a microwave for heating up leftovers, making lunch for the kids but we started bring our small microwave from home. The hotel is starting to show wear, carpets in some of the halls are loose and bumpy, there is mineral staining on the shower in the pool area, scuffs and dents on the room walls. Last year, my children all had to be treated for swimmer's ear after our three day stay. (Swimmer's ear happens from swimming in unclean water). Eating at the restaurant can be difficult for small children because everything takes forever, from placing an order to receiving it. The hotel raised their prices this year, so we chose the Best Western which was almost half the price with advance booking.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

Arrived on a Sunday around noon at the restaurant inside the casino.

First, I asked for a window table so my husand and I could watch the ocean. I was curtly told that a window table was not available. Seeing almost all of the window tables vacant, I asked why and was told the server managing those tables was busy. I ask how that would be my fault....the greet relented and offered a window table.

I then looked over the menu on the table and it was a breakfast menu. At noon. I asked the very polite drink fellow if I could have a lunch menu and was told lunch was not being served....I ask, at 11:55 I couldn't get anything but breakfast? I was then brought the lunch menu and was informed that any non-breakfast orders could not be placed until 12:20, after all breakfast orders were completed.

I was not trying to be difficult, just trying to get a cup of soup or a sandwich at for lunch, at LUNCHTIME.

The staff, other than the young man bringing our drinks, were very slow and sleepy, non-responsive and downright impolite. Husband and I finally decided to get up and leave for another restaurant in Ocean Shores (where we were treated very nicely - Shiloh Restaurant).

If you are not interested in conforming to the exact structure of this restaurant, and are not interested in breakfast for lunch, go elsewhere.

The customer is NOT always right in this marginal restaurant.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mschrief1
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

We arrived at the Quinault Beach Resort and Casino at 1:30pm. They had our name wishing us Happy Anniversary on the readerboard outside. Our room was all ready, the front desk volunteered to take our picture in front of the readerboard (that was so nice!). We went up to our room. GORGEOUS! Had a lovely view of the ocean, the fireplace was such a tread. The bathroom area was HUGE. We went down to the casino and also made reservations for Emily's at 7:30pm. We had great success in the casino! Our dinner was awesome. Great service too. We both had the razor clam chowder - best I have ever ever had. Then I had the Filet of Beef Tenderloin and hubby had the Rib Eye Steak. Extremely good steaks, and perfectly cooked. This evening they had a great band playing. We had so much fun. Slept soundly. Then had breakfast the next morning in Emily's. Awesome Denver Omelette. We stayed until the very last second of the 11:00am check-out time. Would've loved to have stayed a 2nd night. Temperatures were unseasonably warm - fun seeing the clam diggers with their lanterns on the beach. What a special anniversary!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jilltoons
Bellevue, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed for 4 nights over Christmas week. The rooms were very clean and I am very picky about that. They were also cleaned promptly each day.
The pool was very warm which was nice for a hotel pool and the jacuzzi was great too.
You can get to the beach by a short walk from the hotel.
The only con I have is the staff in at Emily's, the Bar, and the servers that come around to bring drinks to the people at the machines could all use some lessons in politeness.
All the ones we interacted were rude so after the first day we had all our meals at other places in town.
We will be back, just won't eat there.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
puyallup
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

We stayed christmas eve and ther was no heat down stairs was told It has not worked for 2 weeks. Our room was so hot we had to sleep with the slider open. The front desk lady made us feel like we were bothering her when we checked In. We have stayed at this hotel several times but, I don't think we will be back.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple