“Gave this hotel another chance”

Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Sumner, Washington
“Gave this hotel another chance”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed here in 2011, and did not have a good experience, we decided once again to give it another try. We did not realize that upon reserving a room on the first floor that those rooms are pet friendly. While I do not begrudge people staying with there pets, we preferred not to have a pet friendly room. The hotel was booked solid and there were no other rooms. The young lady at the desk was very professional, and gave us a deduction on the price of our room as we were not aware it was a pet friendly room. The room to my surprise was extremely clean, no pet stains on the carpet, and no animal odor whatsoever, so all was good! Our second night however was not as good, through no fault of the hotel or the staff. Fell asleep around 11:15 with the sound of the room above us on the second floor running water in there jacuzzi...still no problem since I knew the noise would stop shortly...awoke at 1:15 to the sound of dripping water, I was thinking my husband had not shut the shower off completly...no that was not the problem. I realized in a matter of minutes what was going on. Water was coming through the vent above jacuzzi, which quickly spread through the ceiling outside our jacuzzi, water was coming from smoke detector, and all along the ceiling. The room above was STILL running the water in there jacuzzi, which meant someone had turned it on and then fell asleep with it running. The young man on duty ran up there and tried to wake the people up, no answer at the door, he then had to get a pass key to get in when he saw the water pouring into our room in buckets from the ceiling. A female had passed out with the water running. He then quickly called both the fire department and the police to make sure there were no safety hazards. Needless to say we could not stay in our room, the bed was getting wet, the ceiling was bulging, the floors were soaked, there were no other available rooms in town, so we packed and headed for our 3 hour drive home at 2:30 a.m. in the morning. I give high kudos to the young man whos name was Leto Ahr at the front desk. He did what he could, and not his fault there were no other rooms. This was an experience we won't soon forget! We were given a refund for our second night stay in full, but sad that we still missed all the happenings in town for the Sun and Surf. Was also very nice to see the breakfast was now served in the hotel's breakfast room and not in the restaurant. Breakfast was fresh, hot and the standard, and the room extremely clean and well organized. With the staff being friendly and doing what they could for us, we will definitely stay here again...but next time maybe we will request the 3rd floor so there are no jacuzzi's above us!! Besides the ocean view will be better as well!! :)

Room Tip: All rooms on the 1st floor are pet friendly
1 Thank xjigglesx
Erika L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. On behalf of our entire staff, I want to say we are extremely grateful, that you gave us a second chance. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the situation that occurred during your stay, which as you stated was out of our control. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Please come back and see us soon, and we will definitely give you a room on the top floor! :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
manawa, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Clean, comfortable rooms with friendly staff. Despite a late arrival, had no trouble being seated for dinner at Waves restaurant at the hotel and was served a delicious meal. Having a good restaurant at the hotel and being located directly on the beach made for a very relaxing vacation stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Nancy J
Des Moines, Washington
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We paid over $200 for our room, booked online as the "best available rate." While I was in line to check in, the front desk staff person told another guest about the exact same type of room that I reserved, but quoted them $160. When it was my turn to check in, I asked the staff about the price, but they assured me that my rate was the "best available."

It turns out that our room had a broken hide-a-bed. Also, although the website says that pets are welcome in only select rooms, I confirmed that pets HAD BEEN staying in our room. The front desk person said that the housekeeping staff shampooed the carpet after each pet stay, but that was CLEARLY not the case, as our room had a foul odor.

There were also dead bugs inside one of the paintings in the room. Gross! I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank WilyWeekender
Belfair, Washington
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 121. There was a bedroom with two bunkbeds and a tv. Perfect for the grand kids. Main room king bed separated by half wall from the living room it included a couch, chair and fireplace. A counter area had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The tv in the main room included a DVD player. The patio with two chairs was semi private and faced the dunes. We could hear the ocean. In the mornings a deer stopped by for apples

The indoor pool was a comfortable temp and the hot tub was hot.

The breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage, a waffle maker and normal continental food items

The hotel is at the beginning of the town right on the beach. Easy walk. Horses rent by the hour on the beach. Nice sandy beach which is drivable

The staff was very accommodating. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.

The laundry room was near our room so I could use the dryer on all the wet clothes and beach towels

There is a restaurant on site but it was closed during the first part of the week during our stay.

I highly recommend this hotel

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jodacious3
Erika L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay at our property. We appreciate the time you took to write this review.
We look forward to seeing you, and the grand kids again soon.
dupont, wa, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The room was spacious, new, clean, and comfortable. Staff was good. While not fully facing the shore, we had a partial sea view from a spacious balcony. Breakfast only average but a strong overall value. We'll return.

2 Thank Augustus L
United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Lady in charge of breakfast took a paper towel and wiped down the counters and then proceeded to wipe off the utensils used to serve eggs and sausage! Maid took our good box that we use to transport our water, Starbucks cold coffee and wine bottle. We travel all the time and have never had anyone take our boxes we bring our items in! Also coffee maker didn't work in room. Front staff were excellent, pleasant and helpful!!

2 Thank Chris M
Erika L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We were able to correct the issues because of your feedback.
Thank you for complimenting our front desk staff.
new orleans
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I traveled with my family and dog. We stayed for 1 night. Paid $260 for the night, sprang for the "ocean view", and good thing we did because FYI, the other side of the hotel faces a trailer park. I booked online through the Best Western website and specified in the comment box that I was traveling with my dog. When I arrived, I checked in WITH my dog in hand. They gave us a room on the 3rd floor. We went up to our room, put all our stuff down and then headed to the beach with our dog. On our way back, the manager caught us going in the elevator with our dog and told us that dogs were not allowed on the 3rd floor. I explained that I did not know this and did not request a room on the 3rd floor and that reception must have mistakenly put us there. I even offered to move rooms. She told me I didn't have to move rooms. Shortly after, we received a phone call to the room telling us that we would have to pay a $40 extra cleaning fee because we were in a non pet-friendly room. We did not agree to pay it and the guy at the desk acknowledged that it wasn't fair to make us pay. When we checked out, there was no $40 extra charge on our bill, but when I checked my credit card statement 2 days later, there was the $40 extra charge. When I emailed to complain, they told me that the true charge would have been a $250 extra cleaning fee, but they discounted me to $40, so I should be happy about that.
Why don't they understand that it's not the actual amount, but it's the principle that they are forcing me to pay for an error that THEY made!! I think it is absolutely absurd that they are charging me extra money when I didn't do anything wrong!!!
I have stayed at Best Westerns all over the world. This experience made me really disappointed and very angry.

Stayed July 2014