“Expensive for tent camping”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Olga
Doe Bay Resort & Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olga
Fort Morgan, Colorado
“Expensive for tent camping”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We reserved our site for 2 nights and left 1 day early.Our site was $60.00/day and it included a very narrow parking area for our van adjacent to a road and then a site we had to hike up to in order to pitch our tent. The site was sloped and had a steep drop off the back side. I was very concerned that our kids would fall...so we camped in our van. They would not refund our 2nd night and were not interested in why we wanted to leave early. Ultimately, we were not happy there and it was our vacation...so we quickly hauled over to Moran State Park and snagged a great site over there across from the lake. The kids swam and we rented a kayak. I think that Doe Bay is very expensive for what you get. I expected a nicer, cleaner resort with more activities than yoga and hot springs. Honestly, it is a pretty worn resort that could be a lot nicer and friendlier. It feels to me like they just want to suck money out of visitors and aren't interested in investing in the resort.

As a side note, our family did hit the hot springs before we left the resort. I am fine with the nudity....though it would be nice if there were family hours. Some of the couples seemed more "amorous" than I thought appropriate.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Colovan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Austin
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I liked it just fine although I'm from a quirky place too. Orcas Island is one of our favorites in the area. Stayed in a yurt, and it was comfortable enough, and the view from the spa tubs is great (If you go at night, they are clothing optional).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Maple Valley, Washington
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had reserved a tent site for the weekend of the 22-24th of August, my husband wanting to find out more about the location and stuff to do with our three sons, found that the hot springs are clothing optional. While that is fine if it were just him and I, not appropriate at all for a family getaway. My kids gravitate towards any place there is water...so keeping them away from it just would not happen and we don't want to have them try to erase the memory of seeing more than they bargained for!! My complaint really wasn't the fact that they have a clothing optional area, more the fact that when I went to cancel my reservation well outside the two week cancellation window, she actually said out of my $60 deposit that they would retain a $50 handling fee!! Ridiculous!! She did come back and say she could cut it in half and that particular weekend is really busy and they haven't been able to rent that spot...um, hence the two week cancellation window they have?? So they keep $25-50 of your money and still rent the spot....win win for them. I would never go here just based on that. I can see a nominal fee and some better staff. Awful awful

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Michelle H
Dayyona
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

So many negative things about this place. It was not a bad place overall but you need to be aware of the little things they don't mention. First of all you may not have a campfire at your campsite. You can't park near your campsite. The showers were rather scuzzy as were other amenities. The management is proud of their campground and claimed they worked hard to keep it clean but further requested everyone do their part to help keep it clean. My response to that is " would you like me to also mop the floor? Because you clearly hadn't done that in a few days although I'm sure you probably did work hard at it because it probably hadn't been done in a week.

All joking aside though I'm sure if you were prepared for what you get, or lack of it, you could have a good time. They just don't provide anything extra. Bring all your own equipment. They are not going to give you anything except the basics.

The management did refund our money and let us cancel the rest of our reservation without penalty. They clearly felt bad we weren't satisfied. I wouldn't come back because I am rather OCD about cleanliness but I am sure you could have a good time if you are not so picky.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank jimjaeger
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We decided to take a couple days exploring San Juan islands and chose Doe Bay as our camping base. It was such a good idea doing so because we had an awesome stay there!

We booked the Auklet campsite and both agree that it's the second to best campsite you could get there. Awesome view, cool breeze, not too shady nor sunny. Great spot!

We cooked our own food the whole time and enjoyed doing so a lot. Even though we had a little visit by the local raccoons but all in all it was great!

The Spa and Sauna was the bomb, too! It felt really good to go there and soak ourselves in that hot tub. We felt really good and refresh after that.

I highly recommend Doe Bay and Orca Island. They're simply awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had a terrible experience here.
We arrived early in the day and they would not let us check in, even though we could see that our accommodations were ready.
We booked 3 nights but had to leave after 1 night due to illness. Even though their cancellation policy online states "If you choose to shorten your stay with less than two-weeks prior notice, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee for each of the dropped nights." they refused to refund any part of our visit because they said they could not resell the room.
Additionally, they charged us for 2 massage appointments that were made the same day because they have a "48 hour cancellation policy" that we were not informed of, nor is it stated on their website.
The place itself is beautiful, but we weren't treated well and wouldn't go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tricia L
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Doe Bay Resort in the Garden Spot. We stayed here for two nights. The rooms were a good value for the money. They can use a little updating to make them appealing but over good value for the cost. The employees were friendly and it was a very peaceful setting. Deer, rabbits and a peacock were spotted in front of room. It is about a 25 min drive from the ferry. About a 10 min drive to Moran State Park. Cafe food was great but a little overpriced (but all food was over priced).

• Stayed June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olga
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor
The Island Inn at 123 West
The Island Inn at 123 West
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Doe Bay Resort & Retreat? Share your experiences!