“Amazing Find”

Doe Bay Resort & Retreat
Reserve with OpenTable
Doe Bay Resort & Retreat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Olga
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The waterfront Doe Bay Café on the southeast shore of Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington State is dedicated to celebrating the unique seasonality, flavor and freshness of Orcas Island farms, foragers and fishermen with every plate that comes out of our kitchen. Thursday night is Pizza and Open Mic Night.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My son, husband and I had dinner here and absolutely loved this place! The food was tastefully prepared and presented. My son and I had a kale salad as an appetizer..it was served with a lemon vinaigrette that just brought the flavours of the kale and other ingredients to life. My husband had what he said was the best squash soup he had ever tasted! For mains, I had a cheese plate which consisted of goat cheese, marinated blueberries, honey, pears and grainy mustard...what made it such a wonderful dish was the beautiful combination of flavours! My husband had scallops which he thoroughly enjoyed and my son had the carrot risotto which was also delicious. They sprung for dessert and had cheesecake and chocolate cake - both well worth the calories.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

At first I was hesitant to drive here but it was ABSOLUTELY worth it. The food was unique and fresh from the garden. We ended up sitting at the bar and found ourselves talking to the owner who was delightful - a real pleasure! Lovely ambience to the whole place and the staff were unsurpassed in friendliness and service. A "must go" if you visit the Island.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

There were no other customers when I walked into the tiny store/office to get info about the resort. Yet the two women behind the counter totally ignored me. Guess I won't be staying there. I'd read good things about the restaurant, but beware the limited hours. It was only open for a couple days a week in early September.

1  Thank C E
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I didn't have reservations for the Doe Bay Cafe, but were able to get an outdoor table since we had arrived before 6:00 p.m.
The service was great, and the food was wonderful. I loved the beer selection, and my wife raved about the drink selection.
This was easily the most expensive meal we had in our 8 days to the Pacific Northwest, but was very pleased we were able to experience the meal at Doe Bay.
The outdoor seating view is amazing overlooking the property's inlet.

1  Thank jtdman37
Joe B, Owner at Doe Bay Resort & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks. We pay attention to the issue of prices. I can share two things. First (with the possible exception of August, when our volume is so high) we underwrite every meal. In other words, it costs us more to deliver the particular meal to the table than we charge for it. Part of the reason that we have such excellent chefs is that we do not cut corners or ask them to do so. The other thing we do is try to keep one entrée as affordable as possible, while being delicious, nutritious and filling. I can have anything on the menu on any given night and I often eat the Pho which is as good a meal as I have eaten anywhere. When I asked our chef about it the other night, he described the four hour process that is involved making the broth. I recommend it and I believe it is about $15.00. Thanks again for coming to the Doe Bay Café.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband, daughter and I were staying in Eastsound on Orcas Island last week and booked ourselves a kayak outing based out of Doe Bay Resort. This was a modest resort (yurts) with a general store. In the rear of the store was a bar/cafe. We hoped to have dinner after kayaking but hadn't made a reservation in advance. This did not look like the type of place that one would need a reservation but clearly we were mistaken. We were seated at the bar for dinner at 5:15pm (and were lucky to get that). It was by far the best meal we had on the island. We each shared our delicious selections but I loved the smoked tomato polenta with stuffed squash blossoms while the salmon and carrot risotto were yummy too.

1  Thank r0binh
Joe B, Owner at Doe Bay Resort & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Our favorite thing is to surprise guests. On more than one occasion, I have sat next to some guests at the Doe Bay Café who have a stunned look on their faces as each course is delivered. They often say something like "This is a small café at the end of the road on the quiet side of an island. I would have gladly eaten anything you served me, but that was one of the best meals I have ever had."

We don't advertise Doe Bay Resort or the Doe Bay Café, so thanks for sharing your experience. We had 160 people for a wedding last night and served them an outdoor brunch this morning. I hope their view of the food was similar to what you said. Thanks again R0binh!

Joe Brotherton